Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 1, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #65,641 of 75,288
I can’t wait to see what you come up with now! I’ve been wondering how much the FiiO’s technicalities are aided by the metal shell…. I mean it has several things going for it: aluminum VC, Be on the diaphragm, but it’s technical abilities seem to be the best for such a low impedance barring the Tingo TG38s (which has so many different versions that you never know what you are actually going to get). Some Tingo are great, some are mediocre. Same as the TC200 FWIW. Going with the FiiO has at least some degree of certainty that you’ll get what everyone else is hearing. Tingo is like rolling dice. I’m curious of a stronger enclosure leads better technicalities all else equal—it could also be worse if there’s more delayed energy circulating around. It’s an interesting curiosity to me. I had always assumed that a well damped plastic decay would be better, but FiiO makes me wonder.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #65,642 of 75,288
Which brings me to my next point: wasn’t FiiO supposed to release the FF5 already?

And my next point: FiiO’s Balanced foams should hit my target exactly one they reach their steady state of the FF3 barring a bit of treble. I’m happy that what they consider balanced is what I consider balanced and that their research and my research seems to have led to the same thing. The fact that they got such technicalities, power handling (especially in the low end for an earbud) out of a low impedance driver and in such a well built shell that fits me well makes me wish they will release the FF5 soon. Hopefully they’ll show the graph again and it looks fairly similar But with a little more treble. Anyway, I don’t mean to sing the FiiO praises, but it all seems noteworthy to me. Bring in the FF5!

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #65,643 of 75,288
Which brings me to my next point: wasn’t FiiO supposed to release the FF5 already?

And my next point: FiiO’s Balanced foams should hit my target exactly one they reach their steady state of the FF3 barring a bit of treble. I’m happy that what they consider balanced is what I consider balanced and that their research and my research seems to have led to the same thing. The fact that they got such technicalities, power handling (especially in the low end for an earbud) out of a low impedance driver and in such a well built shell that fits me well makes me wish they will release the FF5 soon. Hopefully they’ll show the graph again and it looks fairly similar But with a little more treble. Anyway, I don’t mean to sing the FiiO praises, but it all seems noteworthy to me. Bring in the FF5!

All I have heard drom Fiio was that the FF5 would be released around September and I have heard other say that they heard September to October as the release window. If they stick to that, then we should be seeing the FF5s pretty dang soon. I'm eagerly awaiting their release!

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #65,644 of 75,288

I think it's a national holiday season in China until 7 Oct, so maybe after that?

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #65,645 of 75,288
I think it's a national holiday season in China until 7 Oct, so maybe after that?
I guess it isn’t the end of the world, but I sure am curious as to what they come up with. I keep checking, but nothing. Thanks for the information. I just hope my expectations are not too high LOL

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #65,646 of 75,288
Hi there, need some help on eqing this certain frequency.

I just got my Smabat M2s Pro in the mail, sounds pretty good to me, but this frequency keeps murdering my ears and I am afraid to increase the volume.

In this song, it is this clapping? sound effect:

@ 1:24 it is more emphasized, but it is used throughout the song. (of course youtube audio is bad, and there is a major difference when I hear it in my music apps and on youtube, the youtube version does not kill my ears nearly as bad as on a music app)

Would really appreciate help on this, and if you have any eqs that you use specifically for the M2s Pro (stock driver) please let me know. :)

Oct 1, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #65,647 of 75,288
Is there anyone in the US that repairs earbuds?

I have a pair of Yinman 600 where one shell separated and the channel cut out. I've had that happen on several pairs of less expensive earbuds and it really upsets me as there's no reason it should occur.
Ok, so I tried them again and the right channel is now working once more. Although the face of the shell separated, the wires are still connected and I'm guessing there's a poor solder joint somewhere? I've never soldered and with something this small, I doubt I could do it with my large fingers.
I previously glued the shell back together with Faller plastic glue but it didn't hold. For now I'll re-glue it and hope the channel doesn't go out again. If it does, I'll try to find a local A/V repair person and see what they can do.
Or get completely frustrated and just throw them out. :deadhorse:

Unfortunately I'm at the other end of the country (FL). Thanks.

It sounds like a contact issue. Getting the face back on may relieve stress on the contact and you might be fine. If it ends up having problems again and you need it fixed if I'm not travelling and all that I'll volunteer to solder them for you if that's ultimately what they need. You'd just need to ship them to me so I can do the work. I'd hate to see a beloved pair of buds go bad.

Good luck!

If it just needs resoldering (and re-attaching the face) I could as well, if he isn't available.

I'm also in CA, so you'd still have to ship it though.

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #65,648 of 75,288
Ok, so I tried them again and the right channel is now working once more. Although the face of the shell separated, the wires are still connected and I'm guessing there's a poor solder joint somewhere? I've never soldered and with something this small, I doubt I could do it with my large fingers.
I previously glued the shell back together with Faller plastic glue but it didn't hold. For now I'll re-glue it and hope the channel doesn't go out again. If it does, I'll try to find a local A/V repair person and see what they can do.
Or get completely frustrated and just throw them out. :deadhorse:

Unfortunately I'm at the other end of the country (FL). Thanks.
It sounds like a contact issue. Getting the face back on may relieve stress on the contact and you might be fine. If it ends up having problems again and you need it fixed if I'm not travelling and all that I'll volunteer to solder them for you if that's ultimately what they need. You'd just need to ship them to me so I can do the work. I'd hate to see a beloved pair of buds go bad.

Good luck!
I was going to offer the same thing. I am not a builder, but I DO have some soldering skills (and the tools to do so). :)
Yihua 862BD+
20221001_173806 (2).jpg
The point is that as good as they are (IMHO) they are worth fixing. And if you don't have one of us fix it, you can take it to any place that does any sort of soldering as part of their service (e.g. phone repair, PC repair, Nintendo Switch repair, etc...). It shouldn't cost you very much at all being one (maybe two) solder joints....
The NiceHCK EB2S is somewhat similar to the HD650 in tonality. Haven't heard the HD600, but maybe the others can give their advise!
I have not heard any earbuds that sound like the HD600. As for quantity of bass the Chaconne are very similar, but the HD600 are much more laid back (smooth) in the treble area. There aren't too many combinations like that in buds (that I have heard). I'm sure there are some out there though. If the FF3 had much less (quantity of) bass, they might sound pretty similar IMO. EQ could easily fix that. :)
All I have heard drom Fiio was that the FF5 would be released around September and I have heard other say that they heard September to October as the release window. If they stick to that, then we should be seeing the FF5s pretty dang soon. I'm eagerly awaiting their release!
Didn't someone on this thread share comments from Fiio saying that it was originally slated for fall this year, but it might be pushed back some? Maybe I am remembering it wrong though.
Hi there, need some help on eqing this certain frequency.

I just got my Smabat M2s Pro in the mail, sounds pretty good to me, but this frequency keeps murdering my ears and I am afraid to increase the volume.

In this song, it is this clapping? sound effect:

@ 1:24 it is more emphasized, but it is used throughout the song. (of course youtube audio is bad, and there is a major difference when I hear it in my music apps and on youtube, the youtube version does not kill my ears nearly as bad as on a music app)

Would really appreciate help on this, and if you have any eqs that you use specifically for the M2s Pro (stock driver) please let me know. :)

The easiest way to get rid of that (for me) is to use a 10 band GEQ (if you can), and subtract -4dB from 2K (or until your ears don't hurt, may be more, may be less), then add about +3dB to 1K, and about 2.5K to 4K (these are optional to make up for what the sound will lack after subtracting 2K). YMMV, but that should get you started IMO. All of these number could be more, could be less; just play around with it until it sounds good to you. In the end, after tweaking these three frequencies it SHOULD sound similar to what it did before you started but without the pain (assuming you like the stock tuning).

Attachments

• 20221001_173806.jpg
    20221001_173806.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 1, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #65,649 of 75,288
I was going to offer the same thing. I am not a builder, but I DO have some soldering skills (and the tools to do so). :)
The point is that as good as they are (IMHO) they are worth fixing. And if you don't have one of us fix it, you can take it to any place that does any sort of soldering as part of their service (e.g. phone repair, PC repair, Nintendo Switch repair, etc...). It shouldn't cost you very much at all being one (maybe two) solder joints....

I have not heard any earbuds that sound like the HD600. As for quantity of bass the Chaconne are very similar, but the HD600 are much more laid back (smooth) in the treble area. There aren't too many combinations like that in buds (that I have heard). I'm sure there are some out there though. If the FF3 had much less (quantity of) bass, they might sound pretty similar IMO. EQ could easily fix that. :)

Didn't someone on this thread share comments from Fiio saying that it was originally slated for fall this year, but it might be pushed back some? Maybe I am remembering it wrong though.

The easiest way to get rid of that (for me) is to use a 10 band GEQ (if you can), and subtract -4dB from 2K (or until your ears don't hurt, may be more, may be less), then add about +3dB to 1K, and about 2.5K to 4K (these are optional to make up for what the sound will lack after subtracting 2K). YMMV, but that should get you started IMO. All of these number could be more, could be less; just play around with it until it sounds good to you. In the end, after tweaking these three frequencies it SHOULD sound similar to what it did before you started but without the pain (assuming you like the stock tuning).
thank you for the tip! i use a qudelix 5k so I'll be able to try it now. :)

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #65,651 of 75,288
Let us know how it turns out?! If I can help further let me know. :)
i am trying it out right now, and doing some a/b tests and wow.
it sounded so bloated in that 2k range, sounds much clearer now:
2000hz, -8.0db, q1.414
1000hz, +3.0db, q1.414
4000hz, +3.0db, q1.414

vocals sound much better but dont know if the surrounding spectrum is smoothed out now

surprised i needed -8.0db to tame it down, it feels like it fits in the song and not coming out and stabbing me. :)

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #65,652 of 75,288
i am trying it out right now, and doing some a/b tests and wow.
it sounded so bloated in that 2k range, sounds much clearer now:
2000hz, -8.0db, q1.414
1000hz, +3.0db, q1.414
4000hz, +3.0db, q1.414

vocals sound much better but dont know if the surrounding spectrum is smoothed out now

surprised i needed -8.0db to tame it down, it feels like it fits in the song and not coming out and stabbing me. :)
For me (with the M4) it was -6dB @2K... You might also need to add a tad bit to 8K because when you have a set that is boosted that much, the treble is normally tuned much more laid back IME (read, they are using that boost for perceived clarity in the treble area). But as always, YMMV with that. :wink:

Sounds like you have a good handle on it now. Smabat really does make some good sounding drivers (albeit too piercing for my tastes OOTB). Fantastic!

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #65,653 of 75,288
For me (with the M4) it was -6dB @2K... You might also need to add a tad bit to 8K because when you have a set that is boosted that much, the treble is normally tuned much more laid back IME (read, they are using that boost for perceived clarity in the treble area). But as always, YMMV with that. :wink:

Sounds like you have a good handle on it now. Smabat really does make some good sounding drivers (albeit too piercing for my tastes OOTB). Fantastic!
thank you for the suggestion, i will work on 8k now. :)

and although this is the only smabat i've had the chance to try out, it is indeed very piercing

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #65,654 of 75,288
thank you for the suggestion, i will work on 8k now. :)

and although this is the only smabat i've had the chance to try out, it is indeed very piercing
It has been my experience with the M2s Pro that the stock driver is the MOST piercing (to my ears), and the rest aren't as bad (though they all are to some degree). The 32ohm driver is actually really good in the treble area, and the 100ohm driver is a great balance, and the 150ohm driver is the most bassy ("V" sound).... To my ears anyhow. If you can still procure these drivers you should give them a try. As @Ronion said before, "my favorite driver is the one that is currently in it" (I'm paraphrasing, of course). :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #65,655 of 75,288
It has been my experience with the M2s Pro that the stock driver is the MOST piercing (to my ears), and the rest aren't as bad (though they all are to some degree). The 32ohm driver is actually really good in the treble area, and the 100ohm driver is a great balance, and the 150ohm driver is the most bassy ("V" sound).... To my ears anyhow. If you can still procure these drivers you should give them a try. As @Ronion said before, "my favorite driver is the one that is currently in it" (I'm paraphrasing, of course). :)
the 100ohm driver seems intriguing to me, I do like a more balanced sound sig.

right now I am waiting on my trn ema to arrive (heard it was a pretty good stupid cheap earbud so I went ahead and got one) and am messing around with a tingo tc200 diy, and a hifiman he400se as well that I just got. so some more buds will have to wait. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back