Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 19, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #44,836 of 75,349
Sep 19, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #44,837 of 75,349
How do I use this thread? 1st post is just a bunch of pictures to me.

Which are the ToTL?

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #44,838 of 75,349
Sep 19, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #44,839 of 75,349
I just got these yesterday. I am still forking an opinion on then.
They are the Pureson Audio 150 ohm PK bud. They were 39 USD, with shipping. I really wanted to try PK shells and high ohm earbuds so this was a good chance.

I don't think they will be taking down my Smabat but I also ordered them because the fit on the Smabat was sometimes annoying.

Sound wise with power they seem to have a decent amount of bass and full mids. Compared to the Smabat the kids are muddy but that is not a fair comparison. They get much clearer with power. The bass also gets quicker with power, and the highs show up with power, but never feel sparkly.

Everything sounds natural with power. They are very detailed, but once again only with power. I put my es 100 in balanced 2X mode to get the best sound.

Need more time to make an opinion, but they don't sound like anything in my collection yet, so that is good.

IMG_20190919_211050697.jpg
IMG_20190919_211140588.jpg

I will say that everything was customizable, which was a great experience. I got a short 60cm balanced cable half and half spc/copper and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. The build quality is good and I have a small bump on the left side to tell left and right apart in the dark. It was a fun experience getting messages with options every now and then. The cable is a little stuff but I'm getting used to it. Sounds best naked, but I added thin foams to keep them in my ears more securely without changing the sound too much.

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #44,840 of 75,349
Sep 19, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #44,842 of 75,349
To think I only spent 10 years on this thread....:robot:

Sheesh, it feels like I've been in this thread forever, but it's actually only been about one year!

Anyway, yes thanks for creating this thread 10 years ago, and for continuing to contribute to it in such a meaningful manner.

Kudos!

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #44,846 of 75,349
Had the Nicehck B40 a few days. Shocked at how good they are. Should be receiving the Ourart ACG very shortly, and I have had the Rose Masya Mk2s for a while. Will try to give my honest comparisons when I have burned the B40 and ACG in. As a newbie to earbuds I am beginning get it. There are certain things that IEMs cannot compete with against some earbuds, and I am trying to think of ways to articulate it, even inexpensive ones like the B40s. There is definitely an unwarranted predudice in favour of IEMs over earbuds. Viva la B40.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #44,847 of 75,349
Had the Nicehck B40 a few days. Shocked at how good they are. Should be receiving the Ourart ACG very shortly, and I have had the Rose Masya Mk2s for a while. Will try to give my honest comparisons when I have burned the B40 and ACG in. As a newbie to earbuds I am beginning get it. There are certain things that IEMs cannot compete with against some earbuds, and I am trying to think of ways to articulate it, even inexpensive ones like the B40s. There is definitely an unwarranted predudice in favour of IEMs over earbuds. Viva la B40.

I like having less isolation. I would rather be aware of things around me. I can only use my iems (and I do have some good ones) when not expecting any phone calls or deliveries. Also I hate closing myself off when I am not alone. I appreciate the more open feeling of earbuds. They seem closer to headphones to me, without the weight and clamp.

When I first joined headfi I only had headphones. I refused to try iems or buds. I had bad memories of buds that came with some of my portable gear a long time ago. I don't think foams were even included so they just fell out of my ears if I moved. Now there are many people looking for vintage buds. I may have thrown some away that would have been perfectly fine with foams.

I only tried iems because my husband @HungryPanda was into them. So I started by listening with a few of his. Later he bought some buds and I thought he was crazy... but then I tried and liked them. It has only been two years since I bought one of my own... a coffee colored Monk+.

Then I got hooked by suggestions in this thread. I think a PT15, an AuglamourRX1, a Boarseman98, a Qian39 and a NiceHCK PK2 (the one with the Docomo driver) were among my first. Ordered them during a summer sale and they all arrived on the same day! Still love them all. Now my list has become embarrassingly long.

I love using the B40 because it is really comfortable and it lacks nothing. No faults to my ears,. Just enjoying my music. I even bought a spare that day that some of rest of you ( @waynes world ) were panicking and buying spares

Sep 20, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #44,850 of 75,349

Users who are viewing this thread

Back