1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Earbuds Round-Up

1. kingdixon
    Glad to find someone with the same experience, because iam always in doubt as many variables affect how you listen to sound even if it is just mood, it makes a big difference for me.

I also want to add that i got 2 mk2s , one with vjc single ended cable and one with mmcx.

Mmcx sounds better bigger sound stage and tighter all over, i think thats due to going balanced.

One thing also i noticed without doing comparisons, that willsounds buds might hiss a bit more than the others, but to be sure about this i have to a/b

2. Alex.Grimm
    BGVP DX5 $65

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  3. seanc6441
    That's the effect I had with the Cygnus I was modding. You will sacrifice the openness/soundstage for bass.

It seems leaving a bass port on the steam open and closing 1 or 2 back vents gives you a sizeable boost around 50-70hz. But the loss of soundstage adds to the congestion so I find a balance between the two preferable even if closed vents sound much more addictive bass wise (some of the best earbud bass I've heard).

Jsingh4 and DBaldock9 like this.
  4. jogawag
    You can purchase black and white Docomo(Variant) earbuds more cheaply from the link below.

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f=132&t=4595690&st=0
    Dcomo Variant white.jpg Dcomo Variant white2.jpg
    Dcomo Variant black.jpg

HungryPanda and subwoof3r like this.
  5. flamesofarctica
    I got the ones with the Docomo shells from Chitty's store described as DIY PK2's myself, the sound is great but I really don't like the size of the stems on these shells, they seem disproportionate. They feel really weird in my ears, like they're just hanging on, and so I can't get them comfortable. That's the only reason they've not had much listening time, the feel of them annoys me! This is likely partly down to them just not suiting my ear shape, rather than a problem with the design itself.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    subwoof3r and jogawag like this.
  6. jogawag
    You can only think that the uncomfortable stems of Docomo (Variant) is still better than the uncomfortable IEM or headphones!:ksc75smile:

HungryPanda and flamesofarctica like this.
  7. mbwilson111
    That is interesting. I love the long stems... to me it helps make them feel secure.as the longer part rests against my face. I have more problems with my buds that have no stems because the gives me nothing to hold on to when trying to place them in my ears.

So, yes, maybe they do not suit your earshape...or maybe if you wear them for a longer time you could get used to the feeling.

I actually have some iems that are quite comfortable but I know what you mean. I also have many comfortable headphones but I cannot wear them on hot days. Buds are the best (only?) solution in the heat.

8. subwoof3r
    Thank you but I'm looking for Docomo shells only, not complete earbuds :)
    I think the link I provided is the yet cheapest to get a complete earbuds based with those shells, but if somebody have an even cheaper link, I'm interested :D

jogawag likes this.
  9. flamesofarctica
    I'd rather wear them than IEMs definitely!

I don't have much of a (that bit of the ear they should nestle behind) and I have big earlobes which sit at an odd angle.

In the days of earbuds being the norm, mostly with no foams and often with a heavy remote control to your Walkman, I thought they were the terrible things you had to balance in your ears and was lucky to get them to stay in for more than 30 seconds at a time. I couldn't believe it when canal fitting earphones came out, where had these been my whole life! They stayed in, full stop.

But they were never quite satisfactory to me in other ways. I didn't like the feel of the silicone tips in my ears. The sound could be good but I was aware of the isolation / lack of openness. As I found the tips uncomfortable, I tried foam tips. They were better for comfort, but the isolation aspect was horrible, almost claustrophobic. I stuck with IEMs however and got used to them as best I could, and as far as I could see, they were now all that was available aside from over ear headphones.

Somehow I started trying some of the IEMs from China, and reading HeadFi. Built up a quite a collection, a lot of KZ etc, some Tennmak ones which sounded great, some Senfer ones which looked amazing but were all treble... all-sorts.

Then I read a post somewhere praising the Monk+ as something special. I Iooked and behold the dreaded flat style earbuds. Ordered on a whim just because they were so cheap, they arrived the same day as a few IEM orders if I remember correctly.

The day they arrived was literally the day I stopped using IEMs.

They actually seemed to stay in, with the foams especially, which I wasn't expecting, and I fell for their open, almost speaker-like sound.

And I've given away all my IEMs bar a couple, and have a silly number of earbuds (blame this thread for that!)

They've also replaced a lot of my over ear headphone use as well, although I still sometimes use headphones if I'm in the mood, and buy the odd pair I fancy. Agree headphones aren't great in the hot weather!

rkw, ValSilva, wskl and 3 others like this.
  10. golov17
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/232351683122

Willber and subwoof3r like this.
  11. subwoof3r
    My link still win :D ($16.92)
    But your variant looks interesting as it got a metal part at the back, which looks cool, so I have bookmarked it! thanks for your input :)

12. Willber
    @golov17's link is 10 buds for $19.99... :wink:

HungryPanda and subwoof3r like this.
  13. subwoof3r
    My bad! Sorry for misreading, excellent deal then! Many thanks

Willber likes this.
  14. kingdixon
    i have a question regarding st10, when i raise the volume on my source wm1a, it tends to distort specially vocals (not sure if its distortion) but it loses too much clarity to a ghrrrrrrr sound. LOL

I tried to record it, dont know if it will be clear enough, but in the video i start at volume 80 and go to 100 on wm1a.

Is this normal or something is wrong ?

Edit : when iam back home i will try to record it more clearly without the background noise

15. cqtek
    Could the NiceHCK ME80 and the B40 have the same driver and that the sound differences are only due to the change of capsule? Judge for yourself.

NiceHCK B40 vs NiceHCK ME80.png

Yes, I know they use different sized drivers, but the frequency response is very similar.

noknok23 and jogawag like this.