Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 18, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #44,806 of 75,326
Great impressions! Do you have a link for the DIY PK1's? I haven't purchased an earbud in the last hour, and I'm feeling the itch lol :)

I'm on the mobile and so I'm having trouble getting the links.
If you search on Ali for 'DIY PK1 red film', then sort by price low to high, the 2 first ones are the good sound/ stiff 'orrible cable ones. Further down, the one with the angled plug is the listing for the nicer one I got, but I went for transparent cable / straight plug. Hopefully that makes sense!

Sep 18, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #44,808 of 75,326
If you search on Ali for 'DIY PK1 red film', then sort by price low to high, the 2 first ones are the good sound/ stiff 'orrible cable ones. Further down, the one with the angled plug is the listing for the nicer one I got, but I went for transparent cable / straight plug. Hopefully that makes sense!

Thanks. I think you mean this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32366470027.html
upload_2019-9-18_17-47-2.png

They cost enough that this one won't be a spontaneous buy.

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #44,809 of 75,326
Sep 18, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #44,810 of 75,326

I think DIY PK1 red film may be better than SR2 as a whole.
But did you feel that DIY PK1 red film has less bass than SR2 and that the sound stage width of DIY PK1 red film is narrower than SR2?

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #44,811 of 75,326
I mailed back the faulty B40 today and NiceHCK was pretty responsive about providing details for the returns an all. I'm not sure if Jim was the one, personally communicating with me, but the cost of shipping them back was almost the price of getting a new pair though.

Hey palestofwhite,
Sorry for this problem.
Please tell me your order id, we will replacement for you (Please send me a DM via head-fi), thanks

Jim
2019/9/19th

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #44,813 of 75,326
Hey palestofwhite,
Sorry for this problem.
Please tell me your order id, we will replacement for you (Please send me a DM via head-fi), thanks

Jim
2019/9/19th
That's good customer service. :thumbsup:

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #44,815 of 75,326
Thanks. I think you mean this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32366470027.html

They cost enough that this one won't be a spontaneous buy.

That's the listing, although I went for the transparent cable. Yep I agree, I was in a crazy mood when I ordered :) Note: 1 order. That'll be me :) I still think the cheaper one is good enough to live with the cable issue.

I think DIY PK1 red film may be better than SR2 as a whole.
But did you feel that DIY PK1 red film has less bass than SR2 and that the sound stage width of DIY PK1 red film is narrower than SR2?

Agree, certainly on bass. However neither has too much or too little, the DIY PK1 has enough for a natural clear, balanced sound, the SR2 enough to make it fun and addictive. They're both awesome, and different enough to justify having both. I wish the SR2 came with a sturdier cable (there's the SR2 PRO but that's the horrible stiff wire again). I need to learn to recable!

Perceived soundstage width is a difficult one, to me that's a measure of how open they sound. I seem to get more of that with good MX500 earbuds over smaller earbuds like the PK style or worse the Monk Lite style (worse still, IEMs). But I found neither of these sounded too closed or upfront to put me me off. Both beat the B40 for me on that one, although the B40 again is awesome overall (it's hard when all of them are so good)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #44,816 of 75,326
So I received my B40 and I was just playing with it and I noticed that if you close back vents it gives you better bass so I tried using tapes to seal the vent bass was little better but it sounded little suffocated.
So I just got an idea to put a form piece inside of the shell where vents are and oh my God the bass is slamming now back side is open just the inside is with the foam it feels like sound is little amplified and bass is so better.
BTW the form I used was actually is from packing of RW9 and I cut to pieces and inserted in the shell and boom. If someone can try this mod and tell me if they feel a good difference too.
IMG_20190919_164051.jpg

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #44,817 of 75,326
Decided to try the thin full foams that came in the VE ExtraPack, on my VE Zen 2.0 ZOE and Asura 2.0s AOE.
They allow the earbuds to fit more comfortably than with the rubber rings (or no rings/foams at all), and they don't cause the Mid-Bass hump that I hear from donut foams.

For the ZOE, which sounds a bit too warm to me when used with a thick full or donut foam (like a Hiegi), these thin foams provide a more balanced sound (less Bass, more Midrange & Treble).
For the AOE, which was designed "for a midrange oriented sound signature", the thin foams allow the great Asura Midrange to come through loud & clear.

Currently using the VE Pure Blue (Silver) Balanced cable, and my Walnut F2 (OPA627 op-amps) as a USB DAC for my work PC, listening to -

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #44,818 of 75,326
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #44,820 of 75,326

Users who are viewing this thread

Back