Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 4, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #39,722 of 75,148
Got my package containing Docomo buds (white) and JVC Victor (red transparent)!

They both use J-cables and I will never not find them weird as heck to use D:
What is a J-cable?

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #39,724 of 75,148
Short on left side, overly long on right side - the idea is you put the right side over the back of your neck.
Ah those! Thanks :)
Didn't know they even had a name.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #39,726 of 75,148
Just got the to600. Beautiful sound. Smooth and detailed. Full and rich.
Pretty good bass extension and moderate impact (better than to400 for sure) good treble air and extension.

Ty @HungryPanda (and others who posted about this earbud!) for the fantastic rec.

These sound very mature, I'm sure these would scale well with a good amp, but even from my v30 im liking the sound a lot.

I know I throw this phrase around a lot but I do mean it, these sound like a good reference open back headphone. Rich, clear, open wide staging, very refined tuning.

Oh no! I feel some enabling going on. :darthsmile:

I have considering these for some time. Might wait for a sale though.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #39,727 of 75,148
Well I just got my pair of Kubes in my ears and am smiling, listening to this

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #39,728 of 75,148
Sadly my left t0600 driver has distortion in the bass :/

It's not even a rattle, it's like the driver is clipping/distorting and I hear that trademark 'popping' when you push the bass to high volume. The right driver has no such issue.

I asked the seller if he/she could send me a replacement left driver, ill wait and see...

Meanwhile, this simple mod makes them sound phenomenal. Using black full foams supplied in the box I found the sub bass to be sufficient for a balanced response. But the mid bass could be a tad tighter and the highs could have been pushed 1-2db up for my ideal sound with these.

So I did this extremely simple mod

15493080376851446857770.jpg

Tiny bit of double sided tape each side, tuning filter cotton on the only vent (you can use other matieral but this worked best for me).

The driver responds excellently to this mod, the sound is tighter, bass hits cleaner and the mids are both more detailed and slightly bumped in mid-midrange (a typical effect of more closed back cups). The to600 actually have a mild dip from 1500-2000 so this bump is welcomed if you want a slightly more present and vivid vocal range.

Just apply a regular full or donut foam over it and voila. You're done.

Edit:using regular donuts brings the vocals back a touch and keeps the extra detail. It's personal preference but I like both full and donuts on these. I'm leaning towards full foam though, it's a more coherant and full midrange.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #39,729 of 75,148
Oh no! I feel some enabling going on. :darthsmile:

I have considering these for some time. Might wait for a sale though.
i got them for $68 which is lower than the previous sale price.

I'm not saying you should get them, but you definitely shouldn't not get them.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #39,730 of 75,148
I recced the mk2 because it punches far above its price, earbuds are weird, price doesn't necessarily mean better quality.

Mk2 and masya are about the same SQ for instance, but the mk2 has the more all rounder ability because it has much more powerful bass.

You buy it direct from willsound through facebook, as the mmcx is a newer creation of his and its not listed on sites that sell his buds like roluphat.com.

Just go to the fb page 'willsound' and message him. You can choose shell colours i believe, ask for mmcx mk2 and get a price+shipping quote.

If you do buy a cable from him also get something other than the standard black one, it's a little tough and there's plenty of nice aftermarket mmcx cables to buy instead or you may have your own even.

As for design/feel. The mmcx mx500 buds are pretty nice, especially if you get a nice shell colour (dont go for white and maybe not black as those shells always seem a bit thinner than coloured glossy ones). The mmcx versions have a little more weight to them, a nice solid feel.

If Willsound's VJC cable is similar to the one that comes with Vunbuds then it is a very nice cable. If it's an option I would go with that. In fact, I've been thinking of ordering a pair of mmcx buds from Willsound with a 2.5mm VJC cable. If he can make it custom length I think I will have to get it.

I have to decide which model to get though. From the descriptions I'm leaning towards MK1 since it's supposedly warmer. I want a bud with impressive (and fast) bass that still have good clarity, especially in the mids. Sparkle up top is always nice too but too bright signature means a lot of black metal becomes painful to listen to. I want a bud that works especially well with extreme metal but also prog and classic rock. Those who have MK1, does it have good clarity throughout?

Or maybe MK2 anyway... Or MK150...

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #39,732 of 75,148
Today I found out I no longer can locate nor buy the t-music v2 or the inntakhifi v2 on aliexpress.

I regret not buying backup. Although I really like my other buds the v2 is the best all rounder for my taste.

This week after doing some eq using APO on my laptop I realize v2 can be a monster earbud with mild (max 7db) V shape eq with 500hz as anchor. I can't stop listening for hours and never skip a song. It's so full, tight and complete.

If anobydy have any idea of v2 availability (on taobao for instance) please let me know. TQ

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #39,733 of 75,148
If Willsound's VJC cable is similar to the one that comes with Vunbuds then it is a very nice cable. If it's an option I would go with that. In fact, I've been thinking of ordering a pair of mmcx buds from Willsound with a 2.5mm VJC cable. If he can make it custom length I think I will have to get it.

I have to decide which model to get though. From the descriptions I'm leaning towards MK1 since it's supposedly warmer. I want a bud with impressive (and fast) bass that still have good clarity, especially in the mids. Sparkle up top is always nice too but too bright signature means a lot of black metal becomes painful to listen to. I want a bud that works especially well with extreme metal but also prog and classic rock. Those who have MK1, does it have good clarity throughout?

Or maybe MK2 anyway... Or MK150...

Any chance you could provide a link to a good example of "extreme metal"?

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #39,734 of 75,148
Any chance you could provide a link to a good example of "extreme metal"?

I've gotten into the habit of using "extreme metal" for most metal genres that are heavy and not mainstream because all the genres and subgenres in metal have turned into such a mess. Sorry for being lazy but I mostly mean aggressive metal. So really anything from trash to grindcore to blackened death metal etc.

As for examples of what I listen a lot to lately...

Vektor:

Meshuggah:

Wintersun (I can't get enough of this song, I always find something new in it):

Opeth (This has been my favorite album for over ten years! Btw, Steven Wilson does backup vocals on this song):

Devin Townsend:

You have a WS MK2 right? How do you like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back