Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 4, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #39,736 of 75,136
How would you evaluate the difference of bass and subbass quantity/impact between both ?

Listened to these nifty tunes:

Both are great, but the Yincrow RW-9's bass takes the cake for me: more presence, more detailed, better textured. Also, the drums have more impact. I now cannot get Geddy Lee's bass lines out of my head thanks to you!

For just pure sub-bass I listened to James Blake's Limit to your love, and I think the RW-9's subbass is better as well.

Having said that, the Snow Lotus 1.0+ Commemorative are excellent. But the RW-9's are actually pretty darned special.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #39,738 of 75,136
I've gotten into the habit of using "extreme metal" for most metal genres that are heavy and not mainstream because all the genres and subgenres in metal have turned into such a mess. Sorry for being lazy but I mostly mean aggressive metal. So really anything from trash to grindcore to blackened death metal etc.

As for examples of what I listen a lot to lately...

Vektor:

Meshuggah:

Wintersun (I can't get enough of this song, I always find something new in it):

Opeth (This has been my favorite album for over ten years! Btw, Steven Wilson does backup vocals on this song):

Devin Townsend:

You have a WS MK2 right? How do you like it?

Thanks. Lots of growling going on in those tunes lol!

The MK2's seem to handle those songs really well. To put it simply, the MK2's are awesome. I think you'd like them.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #39,739 of 75,136
I have to wait a long time to find out.

That is a bummer! Did I tell you they have really nice cables as well? What color did you get?

I'm going back and forth between the RW-9's and the MK2's right now. The RW-9's can't dethrone the MK2's based on technical merit, but damn they put up a good fight, and their "w" shaped signature (or whatever it is) is very appealing to me.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #39,740 of 75,136
Yeah that's a good sub bass test track.

Also 'Why so serious?' From The Dark Knight OST

. Go to 3:27 and you'll either feel the bass pulsing and rumbling or it will be weak and subdued. That's how you know if your earbud has sub bass presence.

As for bass the mid bass, I like this track.

It should sound very punchy and full but also quiet deep hitting. If your earbud delivers the fullness to the bass but doesnt hit hard or deep you'll know that it rolls off a little early in the deeper mid bass and sub bass or doesn't have much presence in the bass.

If it sounds a bit sloppy then your mid and upper bass bass is emphasised too much

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #39,741 of 75,136
That is a bummer! Did I tell you they have really nice cables as well? What color did you get?

I'm going back and forth between the RW-9's and the MK2's right now. The RW-9's can't dethrone the MK2's based on technical merit, but damn they put up a good fight, and their "w" shaped signature (or whatever it is) is very appealing to me.

I chose the blue.

The red looked a bit too much like my Willsound MK1 rev2 which is all red.... wanted to keep them special like that.
I have many black buds... and white.

They will ship after the holiday on the 13th hopefully. AK usually gets things here within two weeks... so end of February. I do have a bud or two that I can use until then :)

Still waiting for my orange Kube. Getting a little concerned because it arrived in the country last Wednesday.

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #39,742 of 75,136
I chose the blue.

Me too. Looks nice.

Still waiting for my orange Kube. Getting a little concerned because it arrived in the country last Wednesday.

No worries - nobody is going to steal your orange buds! Hmm, they are rather unique though!

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #39,743 of 75,136

. Go to 3:27 and you'll either feel the bass pulsing and rumbling or it will be weak and subdued. That's how you know if your earbud has sub bass presence.

That's a good one. Both the RW-9 and the MK2's passed that test nicely! (although I had to suck the driver flex out of both MK2 drivers lol)

It should sound very punchy and full but also quiet deep hitting. If your earbud delivers the fullness to the bass but doesnt hit hard or deep you'll know that it rolls off a little early in the deeper mid bass and sub bass or doesn't have much presence in the bass.

If it sounds a bit sloppy then your mid and upper bass bass is emphasised too much

That's a fun/good tune as well. I'll have to listen to it closer. p.s. that Jack Black can sure play geetar! :wink:

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #39,744 of 75,136
That's a good one. Both the RW-9 and the MK2's passed that test nicely! (although I had to suck the driver flex out of both MK2 drivers lol)

That's a fun/good tune as well. I'll have to listen to it closer. p.s. that Jack Black can sure play guitar! :wink:
It's quite a good album! Not their absolute best maybe but better than the previous one 'Humanz' overall. Some really amazing spacey-atmospheric tracks on there like 'Idaho' and 'fireflies'

If you wanna hear an epic Gorillaz song check out 'hillbilly man' or 'Empire Ants'.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #39,745 of 75,136

sounds good on samsara. i've actually stopped using my iems and headphones cause these do the job and i forget i have them in my ears.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #39,746 of 75,136
Anybody know what the difference is between TY Hi-Z HP150 and TY Hi-Z HP150S MKII ?

other than supposedly sound quality (someone here had both and said MKII was better by a lot). The cable is different, IIRC. But since even the TY store on taobao wasn't clear on it, didn't bother to get it.

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #39,748 of 75,136
The white Docomo I've only tried out this morning but they have heaps of bass. JVC Victor have a better rounded sound that my LG V20 really likes, and brings the best out of imo. Can't believe these cost like €20 incl shipping, jfc.

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #39,749 of 75,136
Wow, it seems that they're a lot of interesting earbuds around here, almost overwhelming!

What are the usual suspects recommended for a beginner in a budget? Or at least a ranking list/starting point.

I've experience with IEMs (IE800, iSINE20, Massdrop Plus) and several headphones (HD600, HD58X, K701, SRH1540, DT1990, LCD2C, etc.) and I find myself prefering a detailed sound with natural/harman tonality, well portrayed imaging and spacious feeling. A good bass extension is always a welcome addition, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #39,750 of 75,136
Wow, it seems that they're a lot of interesting earbuds around here, almost overwhelming!

What are the usual suspects recommended for a beginner in a budget? Or at least a ranking list/starting point.

I've experience with IEMs (IE800, iSINE20, Massdrop Plus) and several headphones (HD600, HD58X, K701, SRH1540, DT1990, LCD2C, etc.) and I find myself prefering a detailed sound with natural/harman tonality, well portrayed imaging and spacious feeling. A good bass extension is always a welcome addition, but not necessarily a deal breaker.
To me, Snow Lotus 1.0+ is probably my best budget but only if bass is not a deal breaker (even if they are present, just lacking some punch and especially subbass to me). Great allrounder overall with good soundstage (very deep), very detailed and natural/transparent. Not sure it's still available yet on aliexpress but next batch should be for this month (if everything goes well) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back