Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 25, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #39,391 of 75,360
I picked up two buds from Faaeal off amazon this week.

Datura X -- this one has the most awesome build for the price but it flat out sounds like hot garbage. There's zero bass. No mids. Veiled. Missing sparkle. I mean, I dont even know how you can even whatever is coming out of it music.

Iris - This was only $7.99? It sounds really good for $8! It has good treble extension and impactful bass and wide soundstage. V-shaped, but with good clarity. I recommend this one. It's up there with the RW-9 and X6 for my favorite budget picks.
You picked up two worst buds from faaeal lmao :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: snow lotus 1.0 2.5mm balanced > snow lotus 1.0+ > 400ohm faaeal > 150ohm rosemary > narcissus 300ohm >>> snow lotus 1.0 > snow lotus 2.0 >.......>>>>>> iris > datura x :wink:

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #39,392 of 75,360
I picked up two buds from Faaeal off amazon this week.

Datura X -- this one has the most awesome build for the price but it flat out sounds like hot garbage. There's zero bass. No mids. Veiled. Missing sparkle. I mean, I dont even know how you can even whatever is coming out of it music.

Iris - This was only $7.99? It sounds really good for $8! It has good treble extension and impactful bass and wide soundstage. V-shaped, but with good clarity. I recommend this one. It's up there with the RW-9 and X6 for my favorite budget picks.

the Datura should have bass. quite ample amount of midbass. it is not a sparkly earbud, but more of a warm sounding analog cassette tape-y one.

in fact the first time i got it i can only use it without foams because of the midbass amount. after a few hours the bass lessened and i put on a thin monk like foams on them

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #39,393 of 75,360
Edit: I'll just open up the earbuds first this weekend and post my questions afterwards

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #39,394 of 75,360

If it is THAT bad, maybe it is defective. I like mine..music comes out of it:)

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #39,395 of 75,360
Spent part of this past weekend listening to various earbuds - and changing / evaluating the foams on them.
Since I had installed, and liked the sound of, the VE rubber rings on the Zen 2.0 Zoe and Zen LL - and since I had another two pairs of the rings (from a previous EX-Pack), I decided to try them on some of my other earbuds.
Now, I need to order some more of the rubber rings.
DIY Earphone Tribe Store has them at $19.48 (up $1 since yesterday) for 10 pair of black rings - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rub...6mm-MX980-MX985-OMX985-MX880/32538682509.html
If you want black & white, the only place I know to get the white is in the VE EX-Pack (not the Lite pack), where you receive 2 pair of black/white (as well as foams and other things) for $5, with a VE earbud purchase.
I don't know whether Lee will sell the rings, or EX-Pack, separately - but the standard Monk Plus and an EX-Pack are $10 - https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=4

Asked on the VE Facebook page, and Lee said that the Black / White Rubber Rings aren't really for sale separately - but that he'd include some extra rings with my next purchase.
So, even though I really don't need any more earbuds (especially since I've got parts to assemble more than a dozen pairs... :wink: ), I decided to get a set of the VE Asura 2.0s AOE (just in case Lee discontinues the Asura model).
I really like the quality of the Midrange & Treble on my Asura 2.0 (2.5mm TRRS), and I hope the newer 2.0s AOE, with removable cable, is even better (and maybe has slightly more Bass).

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #39,396 of 75,360
Asked on the VE Facebook page, and Lee said that the Black / White Rubber Rings aren't really for sale separately - but that he'd include some extra rings with my next purchase.
So, even though I really don't need any more earbuds (especially since I've got parts to assemble more than a dozen pairs... :wink: ), I decided to get a set of the VE Asura 2.0s AOE (just in case Lee discontinues the Asura model).
I really like the quality of the Midrange & Treble on my Asura 2.0 (2.5mm TRRS), and I hope the newer 2.0s AOE, with removable cable, is even better (and maybe has slightly more Bass).

The Asura 2.0s is one of my favourite earbuds and perhaps also the most neutral and accurate sounding one I have. Some say it lacks in bass, but I don't find that so at all.

That being said, mine met with a bit of a mishap and now I have an AOE ordered and incoming as well. Yesterday's parcel carrying the replacement ZOE was damaged in transit, so another one will be sent along with my AOE.

And now for the wait... Luckily EMS is not that bad. Maybe it's also time for me to dig out all the EX-PACKs that I've acquired over the years and experiment with them again... :D

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #39,397 of 75,360
This was the Datura-X description on Amazon

• Descriptions:
  • The sound:Very clear, full, delicate, natural,immersing and detailed, large sound field ,good positioned.
  • The bass: Not have strong bass. But clear,deep,bouncy. If you like heavy bass, please don't buy it.
  • The voice: Close to the ear、clear details、warm
  • The high pitch:natural,clear details

I was expecting a neutral ear bud... But it was meh. Could be defective. I did read reviews saying it was very bassy which contradicts the companies description.

I also just picked up whatever ear buds had free same day shipping.

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #39,398 of 75,360
OURART ACG is the biggest revelation for me so far, which is about transparency.

The ACG have some negatives to me -- the sub-bass is too fast (it's there but no decay), mids is slightly recessed, super tight MMCX, sharp edges on the shells -- but the transparent imaging makes me wanted to listen to them again and again -- I even ignored my one week old, more expensive Kanas for the ACG. Out of their pluses, one thing I really like from the ACG is how they render cymbal sounds; I can't tell which is which because I am not a musician, but I can tell if the drummer is hitting different cymbals.

Now I am seeing my other items differently because they are not as transparent as the ACG.

So guys, is there any other buds with similar or better transparency?

What's the most transparent sounding buds you've listened to?

Edit: added alternative question.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #39,400 of 75,360

• Descriptions:
  • The sound:Very clear, full, delicate, natural,immersing and detailed, large sound field ,good positioned.
  • The bass: Not have strong bass. But clear,deep,bouncy. If you like heavy bass, please don't buy it.

I was expecting a neutral ear bud... But it was meh. Could be defective. I did read reviews saying it was very bassy which contradicts the companies description.

These must not have been available for next day shipping at the time from Amazon US -
FAAEAL Snow-lotus 1.0/1.0+ HiFi Earphone 64 Ohm DIY Heavy Bass Sound Quality Music Earphones DJ Earphones (Snow-lotus 1.0, Black) $9.99

I noticed the above but opted for the Commemorative Edition for a dollar more from Ali - $10.99. The 1.0 from Amazon with Prime still in stock if anyone needs a pair. Not sure if I understand the 1 vs. 1+ ...

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #39,401 of 75,360
These must not have been available for next day shipping at the time from Amazon US -
FAAEAL Snow-lotus 1.0/1.0+ HiFi Earphone 64 Ohm DIY Heavy Bass Sound Quality Music Earphones DJ Earphones (Snow-lotus 1.0, Black) $9.99

I noticed the above but opted for the Commemorative Edition for a dollar more from Ali - $10.99. The 1.0 from Amazon with Prime still in stock if anyone needs a pair. Not sure if I understand the 1 vs. 1+ ...

Yeah those were only available for normal prime shipping when I ordered the Iris in my area. I wanted something cheap and same day shipping to get me over the minimum required purchase amount to qualify for free same day. Heh this is how I rack up so much junk lol

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #39,402 of 75,360
You picked up two worst buds from faaeal lmao :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: snow lotus 1.0 2.5mm balanced > snow lotus 1.0+ > 400ohm faaeal > 150ohm rosemary > narcissus 300ohm >>> snow lotus 1.0 > snow lotus 2.0 >.......>>>>>> iris > datura x :wink:

Ouch! Nothing like rubbing it in:thinking:. Kind of confusing. Has anyone else compared SL 1.0 to 1.0+?
As I type this listening to live Animal Collective with my cheap Vido's and not sure if any earbud would make it sound better!

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #39,403 of 75,360

• Descriptions:

that descriptions are indeed a little misleading

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #39,404 of 75,360
Speaking of Vidos... Mine has just been recabled today by @HungryPanda. Working well, sounding great. I bought the white Vido with this cable in mind. Vido drivers are fragile so recabling them is a challenge. Maybe Panda will comment on the details.

R0014201.JPG

The DAP is the Hidizs AP200

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #39,405 of 75,360
Is it easy to re-cable these EMX-500 shells?
I'm guessing the drivers+'acoustic lens/baffle' just pop out with a bit of force...?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back