Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #38,986 of 75,364
In the interest of clarity: Some thoughts on the Cubu(s) and the KUBE v1 thing.
AAARGH the oversight on the review vs the listing variance... it bothered me all morning.

I posted that up because what was said there seemed to more or less correspond with what I hear.
I realize they are not exactly identical between the two as Redcarmoose posted up about ( bad oversight there I forgot we spoke about that before... sigh ).

Low end =crazy big and good
Staging= can be off the charts often "surreal" as wayneworld put it somewhere.
One area that may not correspond exactly is the top end. It seems reading closely and considering it carefully the KubeV1 will have some more added on the top end vs what i gather about the Cubu(s), but that does not seem to get tiring over time.
Not crazy fatiguing and etchy-shrill ( see my ideas about why this additional "change "may be the case below )

KubeV1 are awesome buds.
It seems even chinmie went to the trouble of a recable job on theirs, posted in an image a bit ago.
So good after getting the first one last year i immediately went back and grabbed every one they had left to give out as gifts.
I would not have repeatedly bothered the seller about getting more up for auction if I felt these were substandard .

=I get no brownie points, no freebies, no discount, nothing from the seller at all . I want to get more people's ears on these things.

THOUGHTS ON THE TWO VERSIONS

Cubu(s) and KUBE v1
It is my hunch that these are from the same OEM/Manufacturer/and-or Company.
  • same coloured cable
  • similar colour variations
  • exact same strain relief "y" spliiter
  • similar stubbby small molded trs plug
  • same housings
  • simlar phonetics to the name
=It could very well be , and this is a total guess given all the above, that the Cubu(s) are the first earlier version made as I don't think they came bundled with a player(?)
=Kube V1 may be later versions, bundled with the MP3 player, but with some updated sonic tuning on the top end which ( another guess ) would obviously trickle it's effects down through the rest . Staging and lows sure seem to correspond reasonably judging by posted impressions ( as good as one can assume). It got me at first

SO
Since the listing was oddly stalled from showing up in actual searches within ebay search system and the link was basically only here for the day,
anyone who got these with the review posted as the full-on reason they got them ( this listing only, as of Monday morning Jan 14 ),
tries them and feels they do not somewhat correspond to the general expectations ( impressive low end and often "surreal"staging ) as per reading the erroneously posted review,
simply shoot me a PM within a day or two of trying them out and I have got you covered.Meaning specifically i will buy them off you.
I can use a few more spares to send out as gifts anyhow.

I bet very few members will bother though.

I welcome any further thoughts. Obviously will have to wait for things to show up.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #38,987 of 75,364
In the interest of clarity: Some thoughts on the Cubu(s) and the KUBE v1 thing.
AAARGH the oversight on the review vs the listing variance... it bothered me all morning.
Hey Nick, thanks for the gesture but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Every purchase has an element of risk and we are all big boys here, apart from a few exceptions!

Anyway, they're orange!

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #38,988 of 75,364
Hey Nick, thanks for the gesture but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Every purchase has an element of risk and we are all big boys here, apart from a few exceptions!

Anyway, they're orange!

I am not a big boy but I will be keeping my Kubes.

Looks like the seller found a few more blue and white ones,...so it is not too late to order.

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #38,989 of 75,364

I'm not sure how I feel about being called an exception! :wink:

Seriously though, well said.

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #38,990 of 75,364
Even though I was bullied into it, I'm looking forward to them now. :)

BTW, I've spent more time with my DP100 today. They are really nice, especially if you prefer a slightly smaller shell.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #38,991 of 75,364
BTW, I've spent more time with my DP100 today. They are really nice, especially if you prefer a slightly smaller shell.

Ordered a DP100 today in white...because of you. Also a white Vido just because I have never had a Vido...will be recabled. We picked out some cool looking cables today and expect some others to arrive this week.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #38,992 of 75,364
Ordered a DT100 today in white...because of you. Also a white Vido just because I have never had a Vido...will be recabled. We picked out some cool looking cables today and expect some others to arrive this week.
DP100?
Well-made and very natural sound. Soundstage isn't quite as big as the SL 1.0 but better than most and the imaging is good enough that they don't sound congested. Great for vocals and four-piece combos (are there still such things?). Amy Macdonald is sounding particularly good ATM. Oh, and they did well with your hippo song!

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #38,993 of 75,364
DP100?
Well-made and very natural sound. Soundstage isn't quite as big as the SL 1.0 but better than most and the imaging is good enough that they don't sound congested. Great for vocals and four-piece combos (are there still such things?). Amy Macdonald is sounding particularly good ATM. Oh, and they did well with your hippo song!
Have you heard the MX760 graphene (old or new). This isn't the same driver is it? It's the original design but is it the original beyer driver I wonder. And if so is the graphene a different driver just using the dp100 housing.

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #38,994 of 75,364
DP100?

Cool.

Edited the typo. You should see how tiny the text is in the reply box with this tablet.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #38,995 of 75,364
Have you heard the MX760 graphene (old or new). This isn't the same driver is it? It's the original design but is it the original beyer driver I wonder. And if so is the graphene a different driver just using the dp100 housing.
No, I haven't heard either Graphene. Not sure about the driver in the DP100. The pictures of the black ones show Beyerdynamic on the shell but I don't know if that means anything. It isn't on the clear/silver ones that I've got.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #38,996 of 75,364
Bought a snow lotus 1.0+ and in convo with the kube seller about getting combined shipping for two. Curious about how they will take to modding.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #38,997 of 75,364
No, I haven't heard either Graphene. Not sure about the driver in the DP100. The pictures of the black ones show Beyerdynamic on the shell but I don't know if that means anything. It isn't on the clear/silver ones that I've got.
Yeah not sure if it's original beyer or just the shell used with a different driver. Pretty sure the actuall sennheiser mx760 has a different shell anyway, more like an elongated mx500.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #38,999 of 75,364
Bought a snow lotus 1.0+ and in convo with the kube seller about getting combined shipping for two. Curious about how they will take to modding.
Faeel sell both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back