1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Earbuds Round-Up

1. KevDzn
    CheeseInTheSky, nick n, wskl and 3 others like this.
  2. seanc6441
    KevDzn likes this.
  3. KevDzn
    If you're able to get it, remember to get extras coz they come with y-cable. I'm sure you will want to re-cable it.

4. Carrow
    Through Michelle Ong in EA :)

5. seanc6441
    What are the extras? You mean like recable?

I would want to do that myself. But if by extras mean sosomething else please do tell.

Btw, why are the JVC branded ones cheaper than the Victor branded ones. Do they sound different? Thanks

6. RuFrost
    any comparison between bs1 official and to400s? and alike earbuds?) For example, Lyra Collection. (really seeking to try it!!!)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. Carrow
    I can never be sure if it's Yin-yoo or Yincrow we're not allowed discuss in this thread. (or on HF anywhere) @RuFrost

edit: apparently it's Yin-yoo so you should edit your post to be on the safe side :)

RuFrost likes this.
  8. waynes world
    Huh! Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

9. CyberGhost
    Does anybody know why there seems to be two versions of MusicMaker MrZ Tomahawk? There is one with the MusicMaker logo and then there is another with the Z in the middle.

One says Toneking the other Music Maker. These seem to be the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What are the differences, if any?

Also, what about MrZ Ting, how does that compare to Tomahawk? Chinese sites (Aliexpress) seem to comparing Tomahawk to MX 985, does it sound like 985s?

KarmaPhala likes this.
  10. Willber
    I think by "get extras" he means get more than one set.

seanc6441 and mbwilson111 like this.
  11. mbwilson111
    Yeah, in case you kill a driver during a recabling effort. It happens.

HungryPanda, seanc6441 and Willber like this.
  12. seanc6441
    To400s. Linear sound. Analytical. Considerable bass roll off, lacks depth and punch. Treble dips slightly but has an emphasis around 10khz for air. Overall it's like a more technical shozy bk without the mid bass punch.

Bs1 O. Warm medium full bass but not too deep. Slightly bright tilting mids but has enough vocal body to carry a presence. Really musical. Nice smooth lower treble and slight emphasis in the mid treble for sparkle, slightly rolled off upper treble. One peak around the upper mids (maybe 3khz region) that throws off tonality a bit, but not determental unless you want neutrality.

Both retrieve lots of detail. But fall short on overall extension and sounding 'dynamic'. I imagine they would make good earbuds to try out in mx500 or other more ported housings, but that would be costly lol.

RuFrost likes this.
  13. seanc6441
    Thanks you are right. Makes sense.

Bought 2 kube buds and will buy 2 Victor/2 Docomo buds. Only bought one SL1.0+ but i can get that again if I need too.

I usually buy 2+ budget buds if im modding, easier to A/B that way to see if I prefer the mod or not.

HungryPanda and Willber like this.
  14. seanc6441
    Anyone still have the Rose Mojito in their rotation? Anyone still finding the treble too piercing for long durations?

I think I found a suitable fix, one that requires no EQ.

FB_IMG_1547595091314.jpg

As you see the central vents allow the high frequency driver to expell sound. The outer vents produce the bass.

If you can buy filter paper its a great treble damper, but it also messes up bass by restricting airflow. However with the rose buds, you can dampen the treble and leave the bass untouched if you place the filter over only the central vents and leave the very outer row uncovered. You can use this in combination with foam and silicone ring (from the VE ex-pack) to potentially remove most treble peaks and balance out the sound.

Currently im using one ply of 'surgical mask' paper filter which was recommended for headphone modding. In combo with ksc75 foam liner, and a VE ex pack silicone ring. It's worked very well. It doesn't dull the sound clarity is retained but treble is under control now.

Sibilance is notably reduced, the treble is no longer brittle sounding (i think a peak in the very upper treble was causing this). Everything sounds damn good with it now. Bass hits moderately hard with the silicone ring alone, surprisingly. But it's clean and without mid bass bloat.

Dynamics are more impressive than ever, something the mojito always did well, now it does it without sounding artificially achieved through crazy FR.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    HungryPanda and Redcarmoose like this.
  15. Danneq
    It's the the same. It's the maker that changed name from MusicMaker to Toneking. It doesn't really sound like MX985. It's got good extension at both ends but some find them a bit too bright. I'd say they've got a slightly "metallic" sound and work best with hard rock or metal. I keep my pair because of the great synergy with those genres.

HungryPanda, CyberGhost and jogawag like this.