Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 16, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #35,161 of 75,868
I owned ak120ii (tried it with Zen Black) which is better than 100ii. Both have weak amp and mid-fi sound in general. Definitely won't be enough for high ohm earbuds to their full potential. I would suggest some portable dac\amp+smartphone or cheap DAP like shanling m0. m1, ap60 etc... for example consider aks1305p - the best sound you can get under 400$.

Thanks for the insight... I also have a Zishan z2 with Walnut F1 amp... would the Walnut F1 suffice?

Again, much appreciated!
:)

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #35,162 of 75,868
Let me know if you have any suggestions :)

p.s. my concern would be that they wouldn't sound much better than the ES100.
I really like the Geekout, but the customer service from LHLabs is so unbelievably atrocious that I would never buy anything from them again, nor would I recommend that anyone else buy from them.

The Mojo has a warm and musical presentation. To me it is better, but maybe to you it won't be. :relaxed: It is very versatile too - it has a line out mode so could be used as part of a home listening setup. It has a lot of power - I haven't found anything that it can't drive. When I first got the Utopia and Liquid Gold amp, I was using the Mojo as the DAC until I could save up for a better one. The Mojo held its own in that setup.

If you have a lot of balanced buds the Mojo may not be the best choice, as none of the Chord products have balanced outputs. (There is a big discussion in the Mojo thread with an explanation from Chord about this).
Those look super itchy. :fearful:

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #35,163 of 75,868
I definitely find full foams increase the bass (via a better seal) and attenuate treble (foam between your ear and the driver) but to each their own.

I find the thin foams from AE add some bass and only take slightly from the treble so you get the best balance for earbuds that are tuned slightly more neutral or dark. Infact I never use full foams at all anymore really. Just donuts or thin foams, or modded full foams which don't really count as full foams after you mod 'em.

You'd like the AE thin foams that I got you to order for your BK, they may even sound good on the TM9. They really sound much better than the new monk thin foams IMO. No contest.
Haven't gotten them yet. Will keep posted.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #35,164 of 75,868
If a small earbud like the PK2s Panda can be anywhere close to HD600 as I've read in some reviews and some people say EB2 is even better im going to be tripping at how is that even possible... I see myself using them to mix along with my cans and monitors of earbuds can be that good :ksc75smile::L3000:

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #35,165 of 75,868
If a small earbud like the PK2s Panda can be anywhere close to HD600 as I've read in some reviews and some people say EB2 is even better im going to be tripping at how is that even possible... I see myself using them to mix along with my cans and monitors of earbuds can be that good :ksc75smile::L3000:
If your yuin pk3 was near hd600 then the pk2 may be also for you. If not then I don't think it will be THAT good.

But It's $20 vs a $300 headphone. Comparing like for like cost wise would be fairer.

For detail they do punch above their price many times, but we all know there's more factors than just detail.

For stuff like extension, soundstage, imaging precision and layering. You usually have to buy TOTL buds to match.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #35,167 of 75,868
If your yuin pk3 was near hd600 then the pk2 may be also for you. If not then I don't think it will be THAT good.

But It's $20 vs a $300 headphone. Comparing like for like cost wise would be fairer.

For detail they do punch above their price many times, but we all know there's more factors than just detail.

For stuff like extension, soundstage, imaging precision and layering. You usually have to buy TOTL buds to match.

I bought the EB2 i will comment when it arrives. I have tried a fair share of headphones including the HD650. as the poster above said, I also didn't quite like it, it was too "soft" for me, somehow too warm, but I cant deny the soundstage was amazing. I did never try the HD600 tho, but i've heard its less warm than HD600 but still has the good soundstage etc, so I imagine that if an earbud is anywhere as close then it must be awesome.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #35,169 of 75,868
My Datura-X is due to be delivered tomorrow. Sitting here right now with the EB2 in my ears, I am wondering what I will think of the Datura when it arrives. These are sooooo good...and comfortable as well. One of the few buds that just feel like there is nothing in my ears. It is hard to imagine anyone being disappointed in these.

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #35,170 of 75,868
My Datura-X is due to be delivered tomorrow. Sitting here right now with the EB2 in my ears, I am wondering what I will think of the Datura when it arrives. These are sooooo good...and comfortable as well. One of the few buds that just feel like there is nothing in my ears. It is hard to imagine anyone being disappointed in these.

How is this compared to old Graphene MX760 and Qian69 and PT 15 with stock cable?

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #35,171 of 75,868
Those look super itchy. :fearful:
yup
P80917-071501-001.jpg

Attachments

• P80917-071501-001.jpg
    P80917-071501-001.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #35,172 of 75,868
Its my first purchase in aliexpress. I got the EB2 with the -25% discount. But it's been two days and it's still in "provider is processing your order". The last orange arrow is "correct payment" but still not in "sent". Is this normal? There's a 9 day countdown.

A huge typhoon just hammered southern China (where we get most of our earbuds) for the last few days, so do expect everything to slowdown / delay.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #35,173 of 75,868
I'm really happy with the zuperdac, but the ES100 is better and I am often using it at my desktop. I was half ways thinking of getting another ES100 so that I can have one dedicated for my desk and one for my belt. But the ES100 doesn't handle hi-res (not that I have much of it).

Let me know if you have any suggestions :)

p.s. my concern would be that they wouldn't sound much better than the ES100.

Before I make this huge (lol) investment, these are the ones, correct?:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...p-Ear-Pads-Cover-Replacement/32790634729.html

yup, that's the one

and this is even thinner! interesting, might work wonders for the Zen 2

How about with thin VE type foams?

that would be the most ideal for the TM9. i like them better with thin foams, also my friend put donuts on his TM9 initially, but after trying the thin foams that i brought (the same ones that @waynes world linked above) , he also said it's better and ask for some more of the thin foams.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #35,174 of 75,868
See I don't really find foam to give a warmer feel. When I think of warm I think of softening of the treble so the bass warms things up relatively. For me, the thickrr foams are not attenuating treble at all, merely dispersing the bass a bit more giving the feel of a fuller bass.

my older brother also, like you, doesn't feel that thicker foams attenuate treble, and he likes to double foams a lot. me on the other hand do feel the difference. even same thickness foams with different fiber density would sound different. that's why i don't use random foams from random batches, for consistency sake.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #35,175 of 75,868

Users who are viewing this thread

Back