Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 17, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #35,193 of 75,563
I disagree, the main part of cost is the pricetag set by the manufacturer. Can it be worth it? sure, but the markup is still in the hundreds of %.

Of course. But that does not contradict what I wrote. The sound (or tuning in the case of small DIY earbud makers) and/or the whole package is the main part of the price tag. The maker decides that the buds are at a particular level and prices them accordingly. More expensive materials also drive the price up.

Older Blox earbuds is an example where tuning/sound sets the price. TM7 looked exactly the same and used the same cable etc as for example M2C (only difference was color of housing). But soundwise it was a world of difference and the $100+ difference in price was pretty logical if you compared TM7 & M2C.

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #35,194 of 75,563
I disagree, the main part of cost is the pricetag set by the manufacturer. Can it be worth it? sure, but the markup is still in the hundreds of %.

The cost isn't coming just from the parts or labour required to physically put an earbud together - you have to see it from the other way - it took Simphonio 3 years to develop the dynamic driver inside SWD2+ (regular price $300+, Massdrop $200). It also took Blox a few years to develop the TM9 ($280). While they might look like just another MX500 / PK lookalike, they do however deliver SQ that only a rare handful of earbuds are capable of - and that's what you are really paying for - the cost of experiment with different materials in different prototypes, plus the hundreds if not thousands of hours someone spent to make the sound just right. Those are not free.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #35,195 of 75,563
The cost isn't coming just from the parts or labour required to physically put an earbud together - you have to see it from the other way - it took Simphonio 3 years to develop the dynamic driver inside SWD2+ (regular price $300+, Massdrop $200). It also took Blox a few years to develop the TM9 ($280). While they might look like just another MX500 / PK lookalike, they do however deliver SQ that only a rare handful of earbuds are capable of - and that's what you are really paying for - the cost of experiment with different materials in different prototypes, plus the hundreds if not thousands of hours someone spent to make the sound just right. Those are not free.
Very true, also if you consider that the TM9 and SW2+ will only sell relatively low quantity of units they NEED to set the price to a certain amount to cover the time and costs spent with R+D and material used.

Unlike sennheiser or AKG who can 'develop' a product like the HD6xx or K7xx and have it sell in far greater quantities than these earbuds to cover all their costs despite selling them at a lower price.

And we are talking about audiophile headphones here which isn't a massive market within itself.

@bhima

Best thing to do is wait for aliexpress sales and buy a discounted high end product at a time when the price is a little more reflective of what you pay for.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #35,197 of 75,563
The expense cost of earbuds is quite low (if you take what Lee from VE to be true). It costs the same to produce the the Monk as it does the Zen. The way they R&D drivers is not as scientific as a guy sitting on a lab for hours upon hours. The high cost of earbuds is mostly about what a manufacturer can get for demand.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #35,198 of 75,563
The expense cost of earbuds is quite low (if you take what Lee from VE to be true). It costs the same to produce the the Monk as it does the Zen. The way they R&D drivers is not as scientific as a guy sitting on a lab for hours upon hours. The high cost of earbuds is mostly about what a manufacturer can get for demand.

I'll be honest about one thing though, some custom cables with no drivers and only 2-pin or mmcx connectors on the end are much more expensive than a lot of those higher ended earphones. In fact, some of the raw cables with nothing on them yet are also very expensive. Taking it up to IEMs too, a lot of higher end several hundred-dollar earphones also come in recycled and plastic shells. I can't say the price is completely justified, but I don't think the costs of production for low-end buds are the same as some higher end buds using older shells.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #35,199 of 75,563

Exactly. While I'm not gonna argue what price is worth the manufacturers time or what the product is worth to people, I will always argue the material cost, especially coming from China.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #35,200 of 75,563
Just about everything is coming out of China these days, and the cost of running a business there is significantly higher now than it is a decade ago. I have been there 3 times already over the last few years, and things changed so fast it can make your head spins.

In any case, the real conclusion anyone can make is to pay whatever price level you see fit. It is pretty much a moot point regardless of whether we as consumer agree on the price or not. Remember, a few hundreds dollars worth of earbuds is nothing compared to a high end IEM these days, which has much worst value factor than earbuds. If high value factor is a must, might as well quit the hobby while you can.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #35,201 of 75,563
For pleasures you have to pay
S80916-130654-001.jpg

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #35,203 of 75,563
Just about everything is coming out of China these days, and the cost of running a business there is significantly higher now than it is a decade ago. I have been there 3 times already over the last few years, and things changed so fast it can make your head spins.

In any case, the real conclusion anyone can make is to pay whatever price level you see fit. It is pretty much a moot point regardless of whether we as consumer agree on the price or not. Remember, a few hundreds dollars worth of earbuds is nothing compared to a high end IEM these days, which has much worst value factor than earbuds. If high value factor is a must, might as well quit the hobby while you can.

That's exactly how I end up justifying it. :joy::cry:

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #35,205 of 75,563
Fortunately that in my coutry there is (are) a DIY earbuds maker who can produce a hand-made driver, unlike buy an instant driver and tuning. So the result is significantly impressive. The successor of Miracle Ref1 names "Miracle Diamond". And his upgraded cable names "Cold War".

Miracle Diamond + Cold war cable.jpg

P.S. this is a picture from other. It is not my hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back