Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Sep 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #4,531 of 5,854

just noticed your signature, lol

beerchug.gif

+1
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #4,532 of 5,854

HE-500 smoother treble than LCD2?

Eh IMO HE500's treble is not that smooth with the pads they come with (velour earpads), it has a fair bit of sibilance. It's apparent in the measurements too:

That hump centered around 11kHz is serious business. The resulting treble behaviour is one of the (several) reasons why I looked elsewhere for an earpad solution (e.g. modding the pleather earpads).

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4,533 of 5,854

Eh IMO HE500's treble is not that smooth with the pads they come with (velour earpads), it has a fair bit of sibilance. It's apparent in the measurements too:

That hump centered around 11kHz is serious business. The resulting treble behaviour is one of the (several) reasons why I looked elsewhere for an earpad solution (e.g. modding the pleather earpads).

I don't find the HE-500 to be sibilant at all. Maybe it's because I was used to HE-400's treble.

HE-500's treble is spot on to me.

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #4,536 of 5,854
I sold My HE-500s and Got the T90's 

Couldn't be happier really.

Just wondering, out of those who have heard both for more than a few minutes.... how do you guys think they compare?

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #4,537 of 5,854
I sold My HE-500s and Got the T90's 

Couldn't be happier really.

Just wondering, out of those who have heard both for more than a few minutes.... how do you guys think they compare?

im curious about this as well... i like my 880 n the he500 n t90 r both upgrades of that sound sig...

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #4,538 of 5,854
Just wanted to take a minute and say that the original post is still amazing and that I continually come back to it as a reference.  I actually sort of wish there was another one of these for cans that didn't quite make the cut (or weren't flagships), but that's just being greedy.

Also, this was the tipping point that made me take a blind leap towards the LCD-3's, and I couldn't be happier with 'em.

Thanks for the great reviews!

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #4,539 of 5,854
  Just wanted to take a minute and say that the original post is still amazing and that I continually come back to it as a reference.  I actually sort of wish there was another one of these for cans that didn't quite make the cut (or weren't flagships), but that's just being greedy.

Also, this was the tipping point that made me take a blind leap towards the LCD-3's, and I couldn't be happier with 'em.

Yeah, I also purchased my HD800 without hearing them, relying on David's review, and they do really sound like that... This is true with the majority of headphones reviewed by him. :)

On the other hand, I am surprised he likes HD650 that much. HD600 were much better and correct for me when comparing side by side along with other headphones like DT880, Q701 and many others... Maybe I heard some extremely slow and dark HD650 but they were totally underwhelming in every possible aspect, including excessive clamp =/

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #4,540 of 5,854
I heard the hd650 exactly as David did. The clamp can be reduced by gently bending the metal bands. Alternately it will relax over time. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #4,541 of 5,854
the clamp improves and soon the HD 650 some of the most comfortable headphones out there.

i agree with david on HD 600 and HD 650, the smoothness and extra warmth seems to be a good thing.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,542 of 5,854
  the clamp improves and soon the HD 650 some of the most comfortable headphones out there.

i agree with david on HD 600 and HD 650, the smoothness and extra warmth seems to be a good thing.

+1 still love my 650's

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4,544 of 5,854

Can anyone tip me one of these headphones that has similar sound to q701 but punchiet lows? Amazing read btw

Thanks! Probably the HD800 is what you're looking for.  Potentially the HD700 would be a good choice as well.

I just upgraded from the Q701 to the HE-400. I haven't heard the HE-500, but here are my basic impressions:

Bass -- So much better on the HE-400. It goes just as deep, if not deeper, hits much harder, and is faster. Even though it's faster, it's not necessarily "tighter," since the HE-400 has much more midbass. 

Midrange -- More recessed compared to the Q701, but it has a fast, tactile edge that really sounds nice on distorted guiters and synths. More crunch. 

Highs -- Maybe not as extended as the Q701. The HE-400 are less bright overall, but there is a peak in the treble that gives it some sparkle (or fatigue, depending on how much you like highs). I thought the highs on the Q701 were smoother, but also more emphasized.

Soundstage/ Imaging -- The HE-400 have a smaller soundstage, but not by a large amount. However, the imaging is significantly better and more precise. I found the Q701s emphasized width but could also sound too diffuse. The HE-400 are more focused and 3D. You are closer to the music and the center image is denser. 

Detail -- A bit more detail through the HE-400. The Q701, with their brighter sound, can make small details louder and more obvious, but the HE-400 reveals more in the end. You have to listen more closely though. 

Overall, the HE-400 have more of a "v-shaped" signature, with a focused and precise soundstage that's moderately smaller. The imaging is really much more defined. The HE-400 have a lot more midbass and a denser, thicker sound. Somewhat paradoxically, though, the HE-400 is also faster and more resolving. Sounds snap in and out of a nice, black background, and there is a tactile and precisely textured weight to the bass and midrange. 

Hope that helps. 

Nice impressions!

I brought the DT-880 (600ohm) and the HE-400. Your analysis on them was very helpful for me. Absolutely amazed by these hps and could not be happier. Thank you David!

Thanks! I'm glad you like them!!

Thanks!! :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #4,545 of 5,854
I like your reviews of both the AD900 and Dt 880, how ever you should really try the AD900X. I've got mine and I'm comparing it head to head again'st the DT 880, and they are both trading equal blows, the DT 880 has less bass but a more realistic Timbre, the AD900X has a very LEAN bass, great impact but it lacks a little in decay making it a little too lean 

treble wise the Dt 880 is a smidge smoother IMO, but the AD900x has a wider an slighty more spacious sound, I do really prefer the AD 900x for classical over the DT 880 how ever the both perform equally as well, with better bass and mids on the DT 880 and a wider sound stage on the AD900X 

And sadly the AD900X still has shabby build quality xD 

still :D I own both and I enjoy both and I enjoyed reading over your review! And believe it or not, I do find the AD900x to be faster than the DT 880 however the DT 880 has a better presentation for metal imo [I quiete like the DT 880 for metal actually] 

Also how do you feel about the HE 400 with classical? I like my DT 990 for classical atm, as the combination of treble and pure sound stage was very enjoyable! I'm  thinking the better focused sound stage of the HE 400 will work well seeing as the instrument seperation and imagine will improve, but what are your thoughts? [And honestly I like the V shaped sound for classical] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back