Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jul 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #4,277 of 5,854
Quote:

I fully agree!  

With respect to getting world-class excellence without selling the proverbial farm, I really would love to audition the new Abyss, for, just as my V200 amp can adroitly drive the HE-6, it also is capable of driving the new Abyss.  If the Abyss truly is a game-changer--better than the Stax SR-009 according to CNet's Steve Guttenberg--because my V200 would be up to the task of driving the Abyss, I could save $5200 on an electrostatic amp.  Cha-ching!  
size]

Quote:
That's why I'm really interested to see what David Solomon's take is on the HE60 relative to the HE90 (for obvious reasons 
wink_face.gif
).

I with you!  
size]

How about a Head-Fi community owned set of gear: As a group buy the top twenty HP's, several top end DAC's and AMP's, then rotate them around the "group."  For coming up with this brilliant idea I get the 1st week with the Orpheus.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4,278 of 5,854
Quote:
How about a Head-Fi community owned set of gear: As a group buy the top twenty HP's, several top end DAC's and AMP's, then rotate them around the "group."  For coming up with this brilliant idea I get the 1st week with the Orpheus.
biggrin.gif

Ha, ha!  One can dream, right?  
size]

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #4,279 of 5,854
Actually, a rotation would be cool. I want to hear some of the higher and more expensive gear so I know where my current gear stands.

I mean, I go the HD800 just last month and the AD2000x the month before, then I spent half the day looking at reviews on the LCD3... :frowning2:

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #4,280 of 5,854
I actually started brainstorming on this.  You could go communal and pay one fee and share equally or you can go more capitalistic and buy HP stock, the more you buy the more you get to use.

Seriously, this may be the only way to use a $22,000 HP for more than 5 min.  I think if I had them for a week I would work a vacation around them.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4,281 of 5,854
"EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE: To my knowledge, the HE90 and its required amplifier is the most expensive headphone system of all time. Depending on the condition, expect to pay somewhere between 7 and 11 grand for the headphone alone. If the amp and headphone are sold together, the asking price may be more than your car's."

My new car (Mazda 3) was $22205 before taxes. David's statement is frightfully near-prophetic.

Truthfully, I'd be scared of buying any out of production model, just in the event it breaks. I'm perfectly happy with the current in-production stuff.

On an unrelated note, I just got my Lyr (stock GE tubes). Very happy with it, really opened up the HD800, although it's less fun than the giant vintage amp now. Need to upgrade the tubes now. I think the midrange is slightly bloated on the AD2000x, it responds about evenly with both amps.

I'd upgrade the HD800 cord...it's a game changer. The Lyr responds well to tube changes...read the Lyr tube rolling thread. These '75 Voskhod Rockets are amazing in the Lyr with the HD800/Black Dragon. Synergies on synergies. The best detail I have ever heard period.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #4,282 of 5,854
I actually started brainstorming on this.  You could go communal and pay one fee and share equally or you can go more capitalistic and buy HP stock, the more you buy the more you get to use.

Seriously, this may be the only way to use a $22,000 HP for more than 5 min.  I think if I had them for a week I would work a vacation around them.:bigsmile_face:

Headphone...timeshares!

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #4,284 of 5,854
Quote:
I'd upgrade the HD800 cord...it's a game changer. The Lyr responds well to tube changes...read the Lyr tube rolling thread. These '75 Voskhod Rockets are amazing in the Lyr with the HD800/Black Dragon. Synergies on synergies. The best detail I have ever heard period.

+1. RB was kind enough to sell me a pair of the Rockets and man, does the Lyr open up.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #4,285 of 5,854
Quote:

Seriously, this may be the only way to use a $22,000 HP for more than 5 min.  I think if I had them for a week I would work a vacation around them.
bigsmile_face.gif

Good stuff, Rumay!  Let's just be communal on this one... and yes, working vacation around the Orpheus is a great idea!  I would have no problem with your getting the Orpheus first, by the way.  

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #4,286 of 5,854
Quote:

+2

Black Dragon does wonders for taming the treble peak.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #4,289 of 5,854
Hi there,
Here is a can of worms...

HE-400 or Grado rs2i.

I know they are completely different phones.
However both are within my price range and I have never heard either in person.
Where I live you can probably look around and find demo's for Beats (or stab yourself in the ears if preferred) and MAYBE some other rappers brand.

I am looking to replace my Sennheiser Momentums as discussed in previous posts (I think).

In any case I listen to a broad range of music.  Primarily Metal/Rock, but to throw a potential spanner in the grado works, electronic including 90's trance, Happy Hardcore etc etc.
I also listen to classical and acoustic from time to time, however I am not going to complain if  my classical is ever so slightly off if the above is somewhat satisfied.

Generally speaking I like a bass capable headphone.  By that I don't mean a muddy horrible sound (enter Beats), but I like it to be strong enough. 
I believe both of the headphones above a capable in that regard.
Other than that, I basically want a phone that is fairly balanced sound.

I was going to get the HE-400's hands down days ago, however I want to make sure I cover all bases before I go outlay up to $500 on a set of headphones.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer :).

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back