Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jun 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #3,991 of 5,854
Quote:
Oh no. Hope that doesn't mean you can't use headphones anymore.

It doesn't mean that! :)  

The onset happened when I was too close to someone setting off fireworks about a month ago.  But I can still use headphones and as I mentioned, my hearing is still very good according the audiograms I took this week.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #3,992 of 5,854
Quote:
popcorn.gif

You gonna share that popcorn?

Thanks for that story David.  I've had tinnitus in the past from playing music loudly or going to concerts without earplug protection.  The Etymotic ER-20 served me well when I was doing music photography (http://uzishots.com/), and I keep thinking about getting some custom molded earplugs (which both Etymotic and Ultimate Ears, and likely a slew of others sell).  Folks, if you're goin' to concerts and not at least using the ER-20s to protect your ears, get a pair... they're cheap.

More on topic -- I recently picked up the DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm to experiment with/complement my HD650.  I feel that while the overall sound on the HD650 is a bit warm of neutral and both the treble and bass get rolled off, I find the overall sound very lush and enjoyable -- particularly with music with more room to breathe, like acoustic stuff.  The DT880 on the other hand feels kinda close to being the opposite.  I feel like while the overall sound of it is more neutral (and I was also comparing with the UERM, which has a somewhat similar sound signature to the DT 880), I feel like things are swayed too much in other direction -- the mids are presented in a trebly fashion pretty opposite to the HD650's warmth, which I'm not enjoying that much.  The other problem is it feels like the treble on the DT880 is too emphasized and can be fatiguing to me (which I feel is a big deal).  There are definitely recordings that I preferred on the DT880 over the HD650, but overall I prefer the HD650.

The HD650 (and HD600, which I've also heard) remains my favorite overall headphone(s).  Their combination of sound and comfort (in terms of both sound and physical comfort), and at their price(s) has not been topped for me.  Considering I got my HD650 for $350 (when it could be had for that price) gives me an A+, right?

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #3,993 of 5,854
Quote:

It doesn't mean that! :)  

The onset happened when I was too close to someone setting off fireworks about a month ago.  But I can still use headphones and as I mentioned, my hearing is still very good according the audiograms I took this week.

Your post spoke volumes. And belongs integrated in this thread. That's how I hear my common-sense chatting, anyway... 
smiley_thumb.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #3,994 of 5,854
Glad to hear that you're getting a grip on the issue of tinnitus. It's a serious issue and very relevant here on head-fi. 

Very excited to see what you have to say about the he60. I may actually get to audition a pair in the next few weeks. 
size]

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #3,995 of 5,854
Quote:
Oh no. Hope that doesn't mean you can't use headphones anymore.

Sounds like he will be limiting his earphone/IEM time more than anything. Be well David!

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #3,996 of 5,854
Quote:
Anyway, hopefully it subsides shortly. I am hopeful:)

David, 

I'm so sorry to read about your far-too-close unfortunate encounter with the fireworks, but am glad that things have improved for you and that you are not back in the "saddle."  Having had many ear infections as a child, I am shackled by the high-pitched variant of tinnitus and have to take a two- to three-week breaks periodically.  I know how you feel, and it is no fun.  Hang in there.   

Also, please allow me to thank you again for all of your amazing work in this thread.  I consult this thread almost daily.  This truly is a monumental, peerless masterwork of a thread!  I'm so glad that its creator is now able to enjoy his headphone collection straight from Valhalla once again.  
beerchug.gif

Kind regards, 

Jonathan 

P.S.--I carry earplugs with me almost everywhere I go.  I knew that my now wife was the one when she didn't mind my using them at the movie theatre.  She thought it was a bit odd, but endearing.  
normal_smile .gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3,997 of 5,854
^^ lol...I brought my ear plugs to chaperone a dance with my wife and she thought I was a nerd. 
size]

Gotta get some cooler ear plugs. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3,998 of 5,854
Quote:
^^ lol...I brought my ear plugs to chaperone a dance with my wife and she thought I was a nerd. 
size]

Gotta get some cooler ear plugs. 

Ha, ha!  Had I worn some made of foam, I feel as though we might not be married today.  Thank you, Etymotic!   

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #3,999 of 5,854
Awesome job, and very skillful writing. I find that some people have trouble keeping things accessible, while using audiophile terms to describe their listening experience.

One question, would you ever do a video review? I mean, kind of like.. if you wanted to focus on one headphone, doing a 5 or 6 minute review to describe things in more detail?

Anyways thanks for this work, and i hope you get well soon. Best wishes!

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #4,003 of 5,854
Quote:
This is still the best post, ever, on Head-Fi.  I would LOVE to see something just like this on Amps and DACs. 

Wholeheartedly agreed!  

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4,004 of 5,854
He already has a good start on some of the best amps.  There should be a community round up...to send David their amp, for like a month, and pay shipping both ways.  This way David wouldn't have to pay and you could get like 50-60 amps reviewed with an awesome selection of cans.

DACs might be a little harder.  You could do the same thing, as above, with low to mid range DACs.  But those Ferrari DACs...which david owns one....would be a little more difficult to round up.  There are about 5 ish that play in this league and they run from 12k-100k.  But it is the low to mids we would be most interested in. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #4,005 of 5,854
Except for the lack of sponsorship, our guy needs to get on with his life. Though, he'd be the perfect candidate. But, wouldn't you want to see him thriving on stage and in the studio? And in his personal life as
biggrin.gif
 well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back