Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 28, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #1,906 of 5,854
I've owned Hifiman HE6s and now have owned HE500s for a while and I don't perceive any problem in the build quality and they have presented no problems at all.
I've even gotten used to changing the cables and working with the small connectors and have done this a few times and they stay on tight and secure.

+1 i agree completely! Never had problems with all hifiman's i owned incl. the hm602 dap :p

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,907 of 5,854
Do you think that the HE-400 sounds different enough from the HE-500 and HE-6 to be worth owning if you already have one of the other two? 

I own the HE-6, have demoed the HE-500, and find them to share a rather similar house sound, with a slight edge to the HE-6 for transient response, detail retrieval, and soundstage size. The HE-400 looks like a more fun sounding departure from the norm.

In my opinion the he400 sounds very different then he500-6 as its more agressive sounding..more in ur face! More tremble peak and bassy notes. To my ears anyway. Some People call it more fun..well i didnt like it..and sold it after 4 months or so..and kept the he300 (now sold also.lolz) and my he500 :wink: but its all personal ofcourse!

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #1,909 of 5,854
you won't regret it, ever

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #1,910 of 5,854
HiFiMAN's choice of connectors could be better, but they're not too bad. I don't have any problems with them really. My complaint is that they're positioned straight down and hit my shoulder area. I would really like for them to be angled a bit forward.

Are we going to see planar magnetics from the bigger players like Sennheiser you think?

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #1,911 of 5,854
damn i'm not sure if its even worth getting the he-500 when I have my sennheiser hd650's

Try it with a quality amp..and am sure u will be surprised about the he500! :wink:

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #1,912 of 5,854
HiFiMAN's choice of connectors could be better, but they're not too bad. I don't have any problems with them really. My complaint is that they're positioned straight down and hit my shoulder area. I would really like for them to be angled a bit forward.

Are we going to see planar magnetics from the bigger players like Sennheiser you think?

I agree with the connectors..angled would be better..i think i read somewhere there will be a revival of the old he90 series..with a more mainstream version and a very high end version..dont know if it was a rumor or not. Maybe others know more about it..:p

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #1,913 of 5,854
Quote:
The K702 65th Anniversary is known to be warmer and more bassy than the other 701/702s mainly due to the new pads, FWIR.
Perhaps a review is due for those?
Philips Fidelio X1 is another contender.

It sounds very interesting. Maybe someone can do a comparison? A new tweaking object perhaps, my k701s?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #1,914 of 5,854
Quote:
damn i'm not sure if its even worth getting the he-500 when I have my sennheiser hd650's

Why don't you take a listen to HE-500. For me it was a whole new world compared to my HD650s.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #1,915 of 5,854
Why don't you take a listen to HE-500. For me it was a whole new world compared to my HD650s.

Thats what i said also..thanks for confirming..but u do need the right amp imho. :wink:

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #1,917 of 5,854
Quote:
Would that amp be a Darkvoice 337 by any chance?
bigsmile_face.gif

yep how did u guess?
wink.gif

i tried a coupe of amps in private from friends (when i still had my excellent matrix mstage as reference, i loved that amp!) and a couple on a headfi meet 3 months ago..and yeah...the darkvoice was my amp to go for my he500 ..and funny thing is..i was not only one saying that on that dutch meeting (even hd650 owners did and 2 grado 325 owners..one bought my he300..lolz).there was a table of a company selling audezes's and hifiman's.and at a certain moment he was sening them to me to ty them out (he was also the person selling the bursons and musical fidelity amps by the way)..only the hardcore tube guys (one had a woo audio wa6 with him..the other a bottlehead crack) didnt love the sound..as it was to SS sounding they said..but that was with the svetlana's in..i am now burning in some yummy tung sol's 5998 as power tubes and a pair of rca's 5693 reds als drivers..and its now only running 24 hours and geesh..never heard such an heavenly sound ever! and it still has 76 hours to get to their best performance! cant wait..really..for the price (and i tried really expensive bursons and musical fidelity's and a violectric v200 (also one hell of an amp by the way!) )..for my ears..my amp wins...and its cheap ..well..its reachable for most of us i think..problem is..it has to come from china! and its 18KG (40lbs) without tubes and package!,,so postage will be hell!
eek.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,918 of 5,854
Quote:

Are HE-500 really THAT better? From my experience with several headphones so far, they are rather more identical than different (that includes several 1000USD cans as well). Of course, easily noticable differences are for sure present but I have never thought something like "oh my god, that Audeze phone is IN ANOTHER LEAGUE/WORLD than that... akg k701 for example".

BTW, thanks for an absolutely stunning effort with this article!

the he500 has a very unique quality...with the right amp its good with every kind of music..thats his strenght..lots of headphones are very good in some things..or ever super good and maybe better then the he500 in those areas!..but thing is..he500 doesnt do anything wrong! thats his strength i think...there are not many phones who have that quality,,,but then again,,find the right amp...and u dont even need to believe my words...the he500's speak for themselves..no matter what music u throw at them.. IMHO
L3000.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #1,919 of 5,854
Quote:

Well, I see this unique quality rather in phones like HD650 or LCD-2 but I understand what you mean... Still, are HE-500 really THAT better than HD650? For example, I cannot see the difference between D7000 (number 32 here) and LCD-2 (number 12 here) to be DRASTIC. Those two phones just have different sound signature and I prefer the one of LCD-2... I cannot hear anything that should rank LCD-2 as "completely superior" to Denons. If you understand what I mean... That's why I am curious about HD650 (n. 20) vs HE-500 (n. 16).

Yeah with a phone like the 650 with it's laid back and pleasing sound, anything that may be claimed to better "technically" might not be what someone who loves the 650's would call better.. Having said that, I sold my 650's a week after acquiring the HE500's. And I had the 650's for 7 years while many phones came and went. They are better with all the usual audiophile jargon; imaging, control, definition, realism, speed, extension etc.. But comfort NOT! :D 

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #1,920 of 5,854
Quote:

Well, I see this unique quality rather in phones like HD650 or LCD-2 but I understand what you mean... Still, are HE-500 really THAT better than HD650? For example, I cannot see the difference between D7000 (number 32 here) and LCD-2 (number 12 here) to be DRASTIC. Those two phones just have different sound signature and I prefer the one of LCD-2... I cannot hear anything that should rank LCD-2 as "completely superior" to Denons. If you understand what I mean... That's why I am curious about HD650 (n. 20) vs HE-500 (n. 16).

Quote:

Well, I see this unique quality rather in phones like HD650 or LCD-2 but I understand what you mean... Still, are HE-500 really THAT better than HD650? For example, I cannot see the difference between D7000 (number 32 here) and LCD-2 (number 12 here) to be DRASTIC. Those two phones just have different sound signature and I prefer the one of LCD-2... I cannot hear anything that should rank LCD-2 as "completely superior" to Denons. If you understand what I mean... That's why I am curious about HD650 (n. 20) vs HE-500 (n.
fir

first of all what version u tried of the lcd 2? as i know the different version have rather different sound signatures (check the threads about it)..i tried lcd2 ver.2 and the hd650 and my own he500...to my ears the lcd was dark and with a bass that went all the way down..tremble was ok.soundstage was good....the hd650 was very mellow..if u like that kind of sound thats ur perfect can...the he500 was more alive...big soundstage..perfect mids bass was good not to low but very controlled and high was best of the three...but as i said..its personal..but for me..those 3 had a very specific and different sound quality...all of them had thier strenghts and weaknesses...allround i liked the he500 most (but the lcd sounded best on the violectric v200! to be honest..maybe because it was a stronger more brighter amp!) on my 337.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back