Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,891 of 5,854
Quote:
The B-side.

Your undertaking has proven to be quite extraordinary, with results that are no less than remarkable. Even the artwork is entertaining. On the flip side, I wanted to add that I think you're doing a great job of fielding/answering questions and taking requests. With the latter leaving a classic track stuck in my head: "Request Line" by Rock Master Scott & The Dynamic Three
beerchug.gif

hahaha nice! :) and thanks!

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #1,893 of 5,854
Quote:
Yeah, happy new year David, and thanks a million for your one-man Wikipedia, a resource for probably a few decades or more.
(You and Tyll are are the best.)

Thanks!! And I really appreciate the comparison, though I will say Tyll has contributed mountains more to the community than I could ever hope to.  But really, thank you, I'm humbled.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #1,897 of 5,854
great job, i especially like the value estimations and some of the lower budget reviews as they're a bit more realistic for myself. 

Its hard to ignore the dominance of HiFiman's cans for value in your reviews. Do you think its simply you just have a strong affinity for their sound characteristics? Or do you think maybe that you're willing to overlook their short comings in build quality and comfort when considering value and that is how they typically get valued so high? 

I had been thinking about upgrading to the he 400 from my hd 598s for a little bit now and one of my concerns was from quite a bit of people seeming to not like vocals on it, especially female vocals, and i was a bit surprised your review didn't mention it at all. Any thoughts on how vocals sound on them?

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #1,898 of 5,854
Quote:
could NOT miss to say

thank you!

thank you!:)
Quote:
great job, i especially like the value estimations and some of the lower budget reviews as they're a bit more realistic for myself. 

Its hard to ignore the dominance of HiFiman's cans for value in your reviews. Do you think its simply you just have a strong affinity for their sound characteristics? Or do you think maybe that you're willing to overlook their short comings in build quality and comfort when considering value and that is how they typically get valued so high? 

I had been thinking about upgrading to the he 400 from my hd 598s for a little bit now and one of my concerns was from quite a bit of people seeming to not like vocals on it, especially female vocals, and i was a bit surprised your review didn't mention it at all. Any thoughts on how vocals sound on them?

Thank you,

The design/build quality is certainly poorer than average at their pricepoint and I think its really the only thing preventing HifiMan from having as high a place in the headphone kingdom as some other brands such as Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic.  Hifiman (and Audez'e) are certainly gaining momentum though and many actually prefer their niche-audiophile business presence to the larger brands. Regarding value, it was a surprise to me that I enjoyed the HE-400 as much as I did.  When I decide on a value, I sit with 4 other headphones (a headphone which I rate an A+ at the nearest pricepoint), a headphone which performs better to me (from the same manufacturer if applicable), a headphone that is slightly outperformed by the headphone in question and a headphone that I really think is a poor value.  If the headphone in question is of similar performance to the headphone that I rate an A+ (at the closest price point), I go up the chain to a headphone which I find performs better to me.  If it performs overall not as well to this second headphone, I will take a headphone that I also esteem highly and listen A/B it until I start to feel like I've found the spot that the headphone belongs (according to my experiences and taste) I ALWAYS do this part after the review is written and it is a fairly tedious process (takes about 2 hours if I want to be fair).

I walked into the review knowing that I would rate the HD600 an A+ and I used this as a reference. I also walked into the review knowing that I'd rate the ATH-W5000 an F and I used these points to determine all the others.  Of course, I didn't have any preconceived biases because I owned both headphones for a very very long time and I knew their sound signatures intimately.  When a new headphone (such as the HE-400) is brought to me, it takes time to adjust and learn the signature.  I don't want to have too much "brain burn-in" where a sound which once sounded average to me suddenly sounds great because my brain adapted to the flaws etc.  Conversely, I don't want to make pre-mature judgments.  It's a process that involves several days, with a lot of ear-rest in between. 

When I finalize my value rating, it is to say "at the price for which Headphone X sells, it is my opinion, that there is no better choice on the market of the headphones I've heard"...however, if the headphone is suited towards a specific genre or if I have a specific type of listener in mind, it is worth ignoring this value rating if that listener is not you. For instance, I wouldn't say the ATH-AD900 is an A+ if you are mostly a rock listener

I don't touch on vocals all too much with the HE-400 because it was not a real highlight, but if you read the JAZZ & ELECTRONIC section, I do talk about this.  The upper mids are recessed and this removes presence from vocals (especially female vocals), however, vocals don't sound offensive or nasal.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,900 of 5,854
I've owned Hifiman HE6s and now have owned HE500s for a while and I don't perceive any problem in the build quality and they have presented no problems at all.
I've even gotten used to changing the cables and working with the small connectors and have done this a few times and they stay on tight and secure.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,901 of 5,854
Do you think that the HE-400 sounds different enough from the HE-500 and HE-6 to be worth owning if you already have one of the other two? 

I own the HE-6, have demoed the HE-500, and find them to share a rather similar house sound, with a slight edge to the HE-6 for transient response, detail retrieval, and soundstage size. The HE-400 looks like a more fun sounding departure from the norm.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,902 of 5,854
This is Astounding! Really great job! 

There is two things you should change for accuracy. Both are regarding headphone editions/revisions.

1. There is a revision of the JH13 and JH16. The newer ones will have a thing called Freqphase that will make the multiple drivers work more simultaneously. Not sure if the freqphase versions have been released yet though.

2. There is another edition of the K702 called the K702-65. All the 702-65 is is a special edition made for AKG's 65th anniversary. The only major differences i know of is that the headband doesn't have the little bumps on it, the earpads are somewhat different, and it looks a little sleeker. 

Here's a picture of the K702 65th Anniversary edition:

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,903 of 5,854
Quote:
Absolutely fabulous review, meticulously written, and an immense joy to read!

I salute you :)

Thank you:)
Quote:
Do you think that the HE-400 sounds different enough from the HE-500 and HE-6 to be worth owning if you already have one of the other two? 

I own the HE-6, have demoed the HE-500, and find them to share a rather similar house sound, with a slight edge to the HE-6 for transient response, detail retrieval, and soundstage size. The HE-400 looks like a more fun sounding departure from the norm.

I think the HE400 serves a purpose apart from the HE-500 and HE6. It's not as though sonic perfection is a singular dot on a dartboard and the HE-6 manages to get closer to the intended target.  Its more complex than that.  Overall, I think the HE-6 is just better overall, but they are different enough sonically for both to exist and be enjoyed for different reasons.  The HE-6 boasts a higher end, more resolving sound signature though.

Quote:
This is Astounding! Really great job! 

There is two things you should change for accuracy. Both are regarding headphone editions/revisions.

1. There is a revision of the JH13 and JH16. The newer ones will have a thing called Freqphase that will make the multiple drivers work more simultaneously. Not sure if the freqphase versions have been released yet though.

2. There is another edition of the K702 called the K702-65. All the 702-65 is is a special edition made for AKG's 65th anniversary. The only major differences i know of is that the headband doesn't have the little bumps on it, the earpads are somewhat different, and it looks a little sleeker. 

Here's a picture of the K702 65th Anniversary edition:

I don't have the freqphase versions of the 13s and 16s :frowning2: but yes they are available now

Those K702s look pretty sharp eh?  I still like the 701 look most

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,905 of 5,854
The K702 65th Anniversary is known to be warmer and more bassy than the other 701/702s mainly due to the new pads, FWIR.

Perhaps a review is due for those?

Philips Fidelio X1 is another contender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back