Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,666 of 5,854
IMO it's worth the extra to get the LCD2 Rev 2s. While I love the HE-500s, they fall behind in a majority of musical genres, particularly jazz and synth (my two favorites). I'll still pick them for classical, but most times I just plain miss the lush, natural mids and endless, effortless bass of the Audeze LCD2s.

Quote:
Yes, for me, the HE500s are preferable to all of these. They are simply musical and non-fatiguing, have great deep solid bass, have ambience, have more than decent detail, and are just plain natural and I 
choose them often for my listening sessions and just don't want to take them off.
(Note: I especially like my Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable with them.)

I just yesterday found Tyll's Innerfidelity video review of the Hifiman phones and he seems to have come to the same conclusion that I have.

FWIW, Tyll also prefers the LCD2s to the HE-500s, even the Rev 1s.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #1,667 of 5,854
Quote:
IMO it's worth the extra to get the LCD2 Rev 2s. While I love the HE-500s, they fall behind in a majority of musical genres, particularly jazz and synth (my two favorites). I'll still pick them for classical, but most times I just plain miss the lush, natural mids and endless, effortless bass of the Audeze LCD2s.

FWIW, Tyll also prefers the LCD2s to the HE-500s, even the Rev 1s.

To each his/her own. I prefer HE500s to LCD2s, especially to rev1, and very slightly to the rev2.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #1,669 of 5,854
Quote:
The HE500s are the better of the 2. (Meaning the LCD2 Rev2. The same goes for the Rev 1.) 
With LCD3s it's a much closer call.

I'd take the LCD-2 (either rev) over the HE-500s...technically they (Audeze cans) are simply better and hit all the right notes to my ears. The LCD-3s much better still. That said, bang for your buck, the HE-500s are spectacular at $699 and offer 90% of the HE-6's goodness (and don't need like 1000W to power them fully 
tongue.gif
).

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,671 of 5,854
Quote:
I'd take the LCD-2 (either rev) over the HE-500s...technically they (Audeze cans) are simply better and hit all the right notes to my ears. The LCD-3s much better still. That said, bang for your buck, the HE-500s are spectacular at $699 and offer 90% of the HE-6's goodness (and don't need like 1000W to power them fully 
tongue.gif
).

What headphone do you know needs all that
biggrin.gif

So I guess you can also say the HE-6 is the best bang for you buck over the LCD-3.  Especially when you can power it pretty darn good with a $175 speaker amp..

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,672 of 5,854
Quote:

What headphone do you know needs all that
biggrin.gif

So I guess you can also say the HE-6 is the best bang for you buck over the LCD-3.  Especially when you can power it pretty darn good with a $175 speaker amp..

I told you a thousand times, let's not exaggerate. 
tongue.gif
 (oh wait, that was me exaggerating)

Bang for you $, I'd still take the LCD-3s as I can power them with my Pico portable amp very well. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,676 of 5,854
Quote:

Thanks, i've seen this before and forgot! Glad to read it again

Quote:
you have granted he500 an A+ and tops even the A+ list(or is it just coincidental?)... you gave the lcd-2s an A... which leads me to believe that the headphones are of the same quality sound-wise... which one do you think  is better?? is lcd2 worth the extra money?? i love sub bass and beautiful mids(non vocal)... can you tell me a small comparison of the soundstage/detail etc... i understand(from reviews) that he500 wins out in soundstage and detail in mids and treble

i think the LCD-2 (rev. 1) is fuller sounding with a thicker bass sound, and better extension ,but its a close call.  As I have not spent time with the LCD-2 Rev 2, I can't comment.  I prefer the airier quality of the HE-500, but overall I do think the LCD-2 is better sounding for my taste.
Quote:
Do you think HE500 has better treble than HE6 ?

No, I would say the HE-6 sounds better when properly amped
Quote:
If I could add.. That David has only heard the LCD2rev1 and they have different drivers

True
Quote:
how are the highs of the lcd2 compared to the hd650s??

The decay is quicker and the extension is better as well. They are both on the darker side though.
Quote:

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #1,677 of 5,854
This is an incredible review.  Makes a great reference for anyone who is looking to upgrade their headphones.  I currently own the HD650 and after reading your review I really want to give the Hifiman headphones a try.  Keep up the great work!  Maybe a giant DAC comparison in the near future?  
L3000.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #1,678 of 5,854
This is an Impressive body of work and a treasure-trove of information for any musician who is serious about listening.
Your personal insight and experience have changed the way I approach monitoring and mastering.
Thanks for sharing your candid and extensive personal experience and talent.
Cheers!
RC

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,679 of 5,854
@DavidMahler : I will go for a HE6, I have already a good amp (Naim XS) for it and a Stax SR007Mk1 with KGSS amp. It seems that each other are complementary and make a great duo. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,680 of 5,854
Quote:
@DavidMahler : I will go for a HE6, I have already a good amp (Naim XS) for it and a Stax SR007Mk1 with KGSS amp. It seems that each other are complementary and make a great duo. 

Sounds good!! Let me know what you think:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back