Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,651 of 5,854
Quote:
Isn't there a Spiral Ears 7-Way? I've been curious to know why the 5-way gets a lot of praise but I don't hear much about the 7. Is it like the infamous JH13 vs JH16 or Heir 6.A vs 8.A?

I've wanted to try the Heir line and the Unique Melody line. I wonder how they compare.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #1,652 of 5,854
I had the PS1000 for quite a while and just couldn't get it to not sound bloated in the bass and siren-like in the upper mids.
But now I have Grado GS1000i phones and I like them a lot.
(I actually had the original GS1000s that I liked a lot and traded up to the PS1000s and was surprised how much I didn't like the PSs.)
There is a touch of high end accentuation in the GSs but it is somehow pleasant and sweet and exciting, like fresh air. It's a tube-like treble: all there and soaring but not piercing.

The bass is just a bit thumpy and opaque, but just a little. I love how the GSs carve out each image precisely, but not too analytically.
The mids and vocals are not quite as detailed as, say, HD800s or as smooth as silk as my AT W3000anvs or HE500s, but they have a lot of life and air.
In short, the GSs are refreshing and airy w/o being abrasive almost all the time, and can give me chills.
Piano is great with the GSs, where I feel each key come to life and fade with great harmonics; it's a very real piano somehow, maybe the best to my recollection.

The GSs do best with CDs that do not suffer from too much digititus, as they will not smooth out any digital harshness, and really benefit from Hi-Rez recordings more than other phones.
So I think I like my GS1000s overall more than my HD800s, and they are definitely go-to phones for me.

A couple of refreshingly different opinions which show the grados can stand their ground with the top flight. They will indeed be interesting to listen to. I'd like to add that my hd800s seem to benefit from burn I to an extent far more noticeable than the lcd2's. If sterile is the right word to describe I don't know. .... That's a scary word for audiophiles because it implies lifelessness and that might discourage some prospective punters.
The hd800s produce more detail and more soundstage and are simply accurate to the recording. If the music sounds sterile it's because either it is sterile or your source and amp are a mismatch to where they shine with your grados perhaps?
I'll bet your grados are really something if they make the hd800s sound sterile irrespective of amp or source. I have no regrets about buying the lcd2's or the hd800s because they have a different sound and both sound great.
But my appetite has been whetted towards the grados for the future. They seem to be like marmite, you either love em or you hate em:D

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #1,654 of 5,854
Quote:
I had the PS1000 for quite a while and just couldn't get it to not sound bloated in the bass and siren-like in the upper mids.
But now I have Grado GS1000i phones and I like them a lot.
(I actually had the original GS1000s that I liked a lot and traded up to the PS1000s and was surprised how much I didn't like the PSs.)
There is a touch of high end accentuation in the GSs but it is somehow pleasant and sweet and exciting, like fresh air. It's a tube-like treble: all there and soaring but not piercing.

The bass is just a bit thumpy and opaque, but just a little. I love how the GSs carve out each image precisely, but not too analytically.
The mids and vocals are not quite as detailed as, say, HD800s or as smooth as silk as my AT W3000anvs or HE500s, but they have a lot of life and air.
In short, the GSs are refreshing and airy w/o being abrasive almost all the time, and can give me chills.
Piano is great with the GSs, where I feel each key come to life and fade with great harmonics; it's a very real piano somehow, maybe the best to my recollection.

The GSs do best with CDs that do not suffer from too much digititus, as they will not smooth out any digital harshness, and really benefit from Hi-Rez recordings more than other phones.
So I think I like my GS1000s overall more than my HD800s, and they are definitely go-to phones for me.

I feel the GS1000 is slightly too polite and thin, but then again I also listen to other stuff than only classical.
To me the PS1000 really is a substantial upgrade in SQ over the GS1000 given the right amp.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #1,655 of 5,854
What amp do you use for your PS1000 - I could not get them sound right - very thumpy in bass and un-natural sound-stage (too big) ... it is like looking into a recording or musical venue with a microscope or a binocular ... I tried them with Traformatic  Head one (Single ended) and Hifiman HA-5 (Hybrid)

That being said - what is a good amp for HE-500

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #1,656 of 5,854
Quote:
What amp do you use for your PS1000 - I could not get them sound right - very thumpy in bass and un-natural sound-stage (too big) ... it is like looking into a recording or musical venue with a microscope or a binocular ... I tried them with Traformatic  Head one (Single ended) and Hifiman HA-5 (Hybrid)

That being said - what is a good amp for HE-500

I like the way the PS1000 sounds with the SPL Phonitor, but also the Manley Neo Classic 300B rounds out the top end nicely. 

For the HE-500, I like the Woo Audio 5 and 307a very much

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #1,657 of 5,854
you have granted he500 an A+ and tops even the A+ list(or is it just coincidental?)... you gave the lcd-2s an A... which leads me to believe that the headphones are of the same quality sound-wise... which one do you think  is better?? is lcd2 worth the extra money?? i love sub bass and beautiful mids(non vocal)... can you tell me a small comparison of the soundstage/detail etc... i understand(from reviews) that he500 wins out in soundstage and detail in mids and treble

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #1,659 of 5,854
Quote:
you have granted he500 an A+ and tops even the A+ list(or is it just coincidental?)... you gave the lcd-2s an A... which leads me to believe that the headphones are of the same quality sound-wise... which one do you think  is better?? is lcd2 worth the extra money?? i love sub bass and beautiful mids(non vocal)... can you tell me a small comparison of the soundstage/detail etc... i understand(from reviews) that he500 wins out in soundstage and detail in mids and treble

If I could add.. That David has only heard the LCD2rev1 and they have different drivers. If you were to buy the LCD2's new they would have the newer drivers and are more balanced with regards to treble. IMO the HE500 does have a sweeter treble and it also has a brighter sound from the mids up. This will put more of a spotlight on details. The soundstage is wider, but the soundstage of the LCD2 is larger as a whole (more rounded). If you want great bass and beautiful mids as a priority then I'd go with the LCD2.2's, as they are technically better than the HE500's in that department. If you appreciate a more neutral perspective and would like a little more energy in the treble then go for HE500's. Don't get me wrong, the bass and mids on the HE500's are very good, just not as good as the LCD2.2's.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #1,660 of 5,854
Quote:

The HE500s are the better of the 2. (Meaning the LCD2 Rev2. The same goes for the Rev 1.) 
With LCD3s it's a much closer call.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #1,661 of 5,854
Quote:
Do you think HE500 has better treble than HE6 ?

I dont think so.

They are both great, but HE-6 should have better treble extension and texture/detail.

The HE-500 is no slouch of course, but for double the price, you get more details (micro details)

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,662 of 5,854
Quote:
The HE500s are the better of the 2. (Meaning the LCD2 Rev2. The same goes for the Rev 1.) 
With LCD3s it's a much closer call.

Yes but you also think that the HE500's are better than the HD800's, HE6's and LCD3's aswell If I remember you correctly... And with the pleathers!

For me, the LCD2's have better bass and mids and this seems to be what the op is after. They have better control/definition in this area and sound more cohesive and natural. If the op was more interested in sparkle and balance then  the HE500's can indeed offer a most pleasing listen with their slight bass hump and zing in the treble. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,663 of 5,854
Yes, for me, the HE500s are preferable to all of these. They are simply musical and non-fatiguing, have great deep solid bass, have ambience, have more than decent detail, and are just plain natural and I 
choose them often for my listening sessions and just don't want to take them off.
(Note: I especially like my Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable with them.)

I just yesterday found Tyll's Innerfidelity video review of the Hifiman phones and he seems to have come to the same conclusion that I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b1q-WLnEL4

(I formed and posted my opinions of the HE500's virtues and superiority before I saw this, so Tyll and I formed these opinions independently.)

LCD3s are very fine also, with a bit more resolution and sometimes more profound bass, sometimes not, and I have a hard time choosing between the 2,
but FWIW, I tend to pick up the HE500s more often than the LCD3s.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,664 of 5,854
Well the HE500's are great hps :) I don't want to give the impression that I don't rate them highly because I love mine. It's just I don't think they are as resolving and coherent as the LCD2.2's. Especially in regards to bass and mids. IMO

I also think it is good that you rate them this highly, as it gives me hope that I don't need to look at any other top tier phones :) and this gives my wallet some peace of mind!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back