Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #1,441 of 5,854
After all these ++++ for the velours, I hope he's changed em!
L3000.gif

Someone send him the youtube link on how to do it ..
wink_face.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,444 of 5,854
Quote:
I think they're shipping he-500 stock with pleathers now too if I'm not mistaken?

Yep they do, velour for back up though, so its in the package as well (fortunately so)

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #1,445 of 5,854
Quote:
I think they're shipping he-500 stock with pleathers now too if I'm not mistaken?

Yeah they some stock with pleathers but you also get a set of velours with them. Really don't understand why they ship with pleathers...? They make the sound so much worse imo. They make an already darkish headphone overly warm and compressed.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,446 of 5,854
I could see where they were going with the pleathers.  They do look and feel better built, and they feel better on the skin to me, but unfortunately they're a step back in sound.  Hifiman might be working on a new set of pads, though.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,447 of 5,854
Great Review over so many great phones!

I just purchased some BeyerDynamic DT 880 (250 ohms So I can do portable and desktop) from Amazon for $240 and can't wait, these will be my first Over Ear phones as all I have had is some Sony MDR-EX85 In Ear.

Does anyone have a recommended  amp that can be portable and can be used on a desktop also, looking for $130 or less.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #1,449 of 5,854
Quote:
Velours on hifimans make things bright and evil... hehhehe (runs out of the room before getting lynched)

Yes, I agree. The best sound I've heard from the HE-500 hs been with the velours; it truly sounded like an orchestra in my head. But this was with a new recording, As soon as I started to sample various recordings of different quality I quickly realized that the extra brightness and precision just wasn't practical or pleasant for day-to-day listening. So I'd say, if all your recordings are newish and of good quality, the velours are for you, no question. If like me you have a mix of new, dicey, indifferent and archival recordings then you may be best to compromise and use the pleathers. They still give a great sound. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #1,452 of 5,854
Quote:
When I did the review I had the ones that TTVJ sells.  I've since upgraded to the new ones that Joe sells.  There is a difference, but its very slight.  To the naked eye, and even to the touch, they appear to be the same material and same shape.  There is however a slight sonic difference.  It's a very VERY marginal difference, but I do perceive it as an improvement.  I haven't done double blind testing on this, but I feel confident in saying that while the difference is minute, the new pads are an enhancement.

Thanks David, i appreciate your honesty, as you know,  the improved pads aren't cheap, so i guess i'll sitck with my TTVJs, i had ordered two pairs just in case they'd stop making them, so i'm set for a while.To tell you the truth, when i bought my HP1000s they had the Lpads on, and i tought they sounded very good, and i wasn't untill a few months ago that i found out that they originally came out with flats, and the rest is history.

On a different note, you seem to be listening to the HE400s these days, so i just want to say that i had a chance to listen to them at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, and i remember being very impressed with their sound quality, especially considering their relatively low price.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,453 of 5,854
LOL, ill be using the velours tonight :)  It's too bad they don't come with it

To be honest..i contacted the reseller to do the change to velours for me before shipment..and they did..for free..thats what i call service :D

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,454 of 5,854
Yeah they some stock with pleathers but you also get a set of velours with them. Really don't understand why they ship with pleathers...? They make the sound so much worse imo. They make an already darkish headphone overly warm and compressed.

Maybe they sent us two different pads so u can use the other to be modded with some lawton audio angled pads as is mention in a thread somewhere? :D

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,455 of 5,854
Quote:
Being new to the community, could someone kindly explain these terms for me?
Transparency, decay, soundstage, imaging, & neutral.
Thanks.

Max Pl beat me to it:)

Quote:

Thanks David, i appreciate your honesty, as you know,  the improved pads aren't cheap, so i guess i'll sitck with my TTVJs, i had ordered two pairs just in case they'd stop making them, so i'm set for a while.To tell you the truth, when i bought my HP1000s they had the Lpads on, and i tought they sounded very good, and i wasn't untill a few months ago that i found out that they originally came out with flats, and the rest is history.

On a different note, you seem to be listening to the HE400s these days, so i just want to say that i had a chance to listen to them at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, and i remember being very impressed with their sound quality, especially considering their relatively low price.

Yep, listening with the HE400 right now VELOUR pads!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back