Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #916 of 5,854
Quote:

For 340USD (HD650) and 317USD (HD600) here in the Czech republic :)

That's great!  Obviously, use my USD prices as reference but nothing regarding the price is carved in stone.  If you can get the same headphone for cheaper than I advertize in new condition, my value rating would likely go up.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #917 of 5,854
Quote:
David - question for you. Have you tried the Hifiman HE-500 in balanced mode? I'm still trying to figure out how much of a gap exists between an HE-500 and HE-6 with both played in balanced mode with an HE-6 capable amp. With that comparative background would you still consider the move to an HE-6 a significant upgrade. I'm speaking strictly of sound quality.

I run my HE-500s balanced (Moon Silver Dragon/Furutech Rhodium XLR connectors). Awesome: natural, transparent controlled bass, sweet/extended highs, no fatigue, no piercing upper mids, lots of space and depth and layering, resonant piano. I wouldn't change a thing. I would think these were super-expensive phones if I didn't know better.
I have no personal anxiety that the HE6s might be better, as I am amazed with the 500s. Ignore the low price and try these with a good headphone amp.
The HE500s may be the greatest bargain in the audio world ever. I used to own R10s, I have 009s, and the sound I get from the HE500s is on par with these.
And thanks David, as it was your write-up that got me to try them.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #918 of 5,854
Quote:
I run my HE-500s balanced (Moon Silver Dragon/Furutech Rhodium XLR connectors). Awesome: natural, transparent controlled bass, sweet/extended highs, no fatigue, no piercing upper mids, lots of space and depth and layering, resonant piano. I wouldn't change a thing. I would think these were super-expensive phones if I didn't know better.
I have no personal anxiety that the HE6s might be better, as I am amazed with the 500s. Ignore the low price and try these with a good headphone amp.
The HE500s may be the greatest bargain in the audio world ever. I used to own R10s, I have 009s, and the sound I get from the HE500s is on par with these.

They really are great! I'm glad my review served as motivation to try them!:)

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #919 of 5,854
Quote:
Yes I have, although with a different amp than the one which I pair with the HE-6.  The reason is that the HE-6 needs a lot more power.

I think the HE-6 is an upgrade sonically even when the HE-500 is paired in balanced mode.  How much of an upgrade I'm not sure.  The HE-6 is almost like more transparent version of the HE-500,  They are not all that dissimilar.

I agree with this.  Through the HE-5LE in the mix, they are closer to the HE-500 than the HE-6 is. IMO

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #920 of 5,854

Which amp u use as balanced on ur he500 if i may ask?

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #921 of 5,854
Nov 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #922 of 5,854
Both a Pinnacle and a Rudistor RP010B. Both are great.
Yep, I know these are high end amps, but relative to other phones, the HE500s are far better than anything in their price range and on par with flagships, in some ways better.
(E.g,, much better than HD800s.)
They are addictive to me.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #923 of 5,854
Quote:
Both a Pinnacle and a Rudistor RP010B. Both are great.

You realize these amps are 10x and 20x more expensive than the headphones, right...

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #924 of 5,854
Quote:

You realize these amps are 10x and 20x more expensive than the headphones, right...

The amp makes the phone, a sorry fact of life I hate to say, So no free lunch.
But my point is that the HE500s scale up, as it greatness in, greatness out.
But I'm sure with phones this good there is some sort of synergy in a less expensive amp that someone has found.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #926 of 5,854
The amp makes the phone, a sorry fact of life I hate to say, So no free lunch.
But my point is that the HE500s scale up, as it greatness in, greatness out.
But I'm sure with phones this good there is some sort of synergy in a less expensive amp that someone has found.

+1 source and amp makes or breaks a phone..and no.. A good amp doesnt need to to expensive...u can get good ones for the he500 for around 700 mark..from the likes of lafiro/ darkvoice, shiit or yulond and some well known other brands like audio gd..

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #927 of 5,854
Quote:
+1 source and amp makes or breaks a phone..and no.. A good amp doesnt need to to expensive...u can get good ones for the he500 for around 700 mark..from the likes of lafiro/ darkvoice, shiit or yulond and some well known other brands like audio gd..

You can get this one as well for under $200  This is a Head Fi steal..
biggrin.gif

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #928 of 5,854
Good points on amps. I actually get nice musically satisfying results on my old Headroom Max (original version) that I bought in 1999, a classic that I still have and I thank Tyll for.
I think used ones show up for a few hundred bucks sometimes.
I don't know why Headroom amps get ignored here, they really hold their own when I try them.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #930 of 5,854
Quote:
Good points on amps. I actually get nice musically satisfying results on my old Headroom Max (original version) that I bought in 1999, a classic that I still have and I thank Tyll for.
I think used ones show up for a few hundred bucks sometimes.
I don't know why Headroom amps get ignored here, they really hold their own when I try them.

yes, and if i remember correctly, Tyll's recent amp measurements prove this out.
the good ol' headroom amp had amazingly low distortion.
way better than some contemporary amps.   *cough*  Burson  *cough*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back