Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #556 of 5,854
Quote:
I'll make a list of all the headphones that I'd ultimately would like to include in order to make evaluation list even more complete.  At this time, I'm taking a break both from the writing and the spending:)  But I'd ultimately like to include the following headphones/earphones
HifiMan: HE400

I was guessing you didn't get a chance to hear these. Some people say they are voiced like the Stax 007's so I guess you can imagine the 007's sound sig combined with the HE-500. It excites me very much that you chose the HE-500 as your top value pick, because I feel the HE-400 is one of the best values out there. 

You might still put the 500s on top for their more neutral presentation, but the 400s still give you that hifiman sound only darker with extended highs and lows. Your 650 review is flawless and I agree that ultimately it's lack of treble extension is it's down fall (which is where the 400 excels!)

I think it's safe to say you would put the 400's in your value top 5.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #557 of 5,854
Don't know if it's been said already, but what about the ER-4 from Etymotic? That's been a long-standing flagship from Etymotic 
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #558 of 5,854
Quote:
Don't know if it's been said already, but what about the ER-4 from Etymotic? That's been a long-standing flagship from Etymotic 
tongue.gif

i've owned that one in the past. I liked the sound, but the fit and comfort was a big issue for me with that one.  I can definitely consider adding that one because its such a landmark model.  I'm not precisely sure where it would place.  I can say definitively that my back and forth comparisons between the UE10 and the ER4 back in the day yielded a very clear victor in the UE10 (which may be of no surprise granted the price difference and customization)

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #559 of 5,854
Completely awesome initiative! I'm very-very glad that you took the time to write this together!
I've been reading over and over and over again... Still some knowledge to be gained.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #561 of 5,854
Without a doubt the most information I've ever seen in one place comparing great headphones.  Thank you, DavidMahler.
There is enough detailed information presented here to make purchase decisions between the various cans.
Now I want to hear/own the LCD-2 or LCD-3 even more than before I read this!!
I was really interested in the Edition 10 review, since I own the Edition 8 and like them.  A lot.  But they're closed cans.  Now, I'm looking for an open can with a wider soundstage.
I'm scared about the amplification.  I own two DAC's but no headphone amps.  Many of the cans reviewed here Require an amp.  The equipment used in this evaluation is very high-end, and I can't come close to touching it. 
Some reco's on affordable amps would be helpful - Thanks again,
RCBinTN

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #562 of 5,854
Quote:
Without a doubt the most information I've ever seen in one place comparing great headphones.  Thank you, DavidMahler.
There is enough detailed information presented here to make purchase decisions between the various cans.
Now I want to hear/own the LCD-2 or LCD-3 even more than before I read this!!
I was really interested in the Edition 10 review, since I own the Edition 8 and like them.  A lot.  But they're closed cans.  Now, I'm looking for an open can with a wider soundstage.
I'm scared about the amplification.  I own two DAC's but no headphone amps.  Many of the cans reviewed here Require an amp.  The equipment used in this evaluation is very high-end, and I can't come close to touching it. 
Some reco's on affordable amps would be helpful - Thanks again,
RCBinTN

Hi, budget?

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #563 of 5,854
Fantastic piece of work. The one phone I imediately spotted missing is the L3000 but that has probably already been mentioned in the comments

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #564 of 5,854
DavidMahler FTW!  Outstanding.  I do hope you get a chance to add the HE-400 to the list.  I purchased a pair at B-stock from HeadROOM and they are awesome.  I highly suggest AC/DC Live through these phones - you will not be disappointed.  Thanks again for taking the time to put this comparison together.  This will be a great resource for many.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #565 of 5,854
Hi David,

Thanks again for the review. To clarify: excluding IEM's, the Sennheiser Orpheus and top of the line Stax (too out of reach for most of us, I would guess), what would be your top five headphones for classical/orchestral music? Cheers.

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #566 of 5,854
Quote:
Hi David,

Thanks again for the review. To clarify: excluding IEM's, the Sennheiser Orpheus and top of the line Stax (too out of reach for most of us, I would guess), what would be your top five headphones for classical/orchestral music? Cheers.

Hmmm in the under $2000 market,

The HD800, HE6 would be my top 2 outside of the out of production or uber-expensive cans.  It seems silly to suggest that the HD800 and HE6 are not super expensive, but since we're talking about the Orpheus, R10 and SR009 in comparison....

The T1, HE500, SRH1840, DT880, SR507, K701/2 and HD600 are also top contenders.  The HD700 has its merits with classical too.

In the closed back market, I don't believe I've heard better than the DT660 (for classical music, particularly for the money).

EDITED for clarification

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #568 of 5,854
I've really enjoyed reading this thank you. I'm never going to get to hear most of these headphones for myself, but I feel like I might begin to have some idea what I could expect now.

As a relatively humble AHD-5000 owner, it has made me want to save up for some LCD-2s next :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #570 of 5,854
Quote:

W3000ANV ??

my apologies if i wasn't clear,  i was speaking specifically regards to classical music, as that was the question at hand.  However, the W3000ANV is very good also, and doesn't perform poorly with classical.  The DT 660 by comparison is so affordable too, which makes it very compelling to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back