Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #316 of 5,854
Quote:

I think if David reviewed the HE-6 using Hifiman's own EF6 (an amp they specifically designed to match sonically with the HE-6), preproman wouldn't be satisfied until HE-6 was reviewed with dual 1000watt monoblocks hooked up to the HE-6, one per channel.

Quote:
Obligatory POWER FOR THE HE-6 comment... 

IMO, HE-6 should be ranked a lot farther up the chain. I think it definitely edges the HD800 in basically every category, soncially.  It definitely needs more current than a WA5. 

I think it's just a matter of taste. It's David's opinion after all. I'm sure everyone is not going to agree with him on his opinions on 50 headphones.

The EF6 for example puts out gobs of power, but the HE6 sounds like crud on it compared to a cheap T-amp. The WA5 should be more than capable. I've found the more difficult to drive HiFiMan's (HE5LE/HE5/HE6) to sound exceptional with transformer coupled tube amps compared to most solid-state.

It should also be noted that HF'er sillysally loves his HE6 out of this WA5LE.

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #317 of 5,854
Very nice review(s). I have finally had the time to read through it all and its very impressive. 

Thanks for the effort, time, and patience putting all that together took. 

beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #318 of 5,854
Oh my oh my,,, I am speechless . :)

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #319 of 5,854
Quote:
[size=.85em]
 ​

#13 BEYERDYNAMIC: T1

[size=0.85em] *Back To The Index

STRENGTHS ...

DECAY: The T1 boasts one of the fastest-sounding decays of all dynamic transducer headphones.

[/size]

[/size]

I really appreciate you doing this massive review list, but am I missing something?  The T1 is horrible for decay - and not just speaking from seeing the graph, I've owned it and listened to a second model.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #320 of 5,854
I'v heard the HE-6 out of  WA5 Maxed several times and was not that impressed.
I think the properly amped HE-6 could be ranked a bit higher. D:

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #321 of 5,854
What we - well I - need next is a review of amps to go with this! Probably impossible as amps have different results with different headphones as I read it. Still, for those like me getting started in this addiction, it is difficult to get a handle on amps in various price ranges that are recommended versus ones to maybe stay away from. Like what solid state amps are worthwhile? The list of amps is overwhelming to me as so many are brands I am totally unaware of.

Again, thank you so much for this thread David.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #322 of 5,854
Quote:

I really appreciate you doing this massive review list, but am I missing something?  The T1 is horrible for decay - and not just speaking from seeing the graph, I've owned it and listened to a second model.

I've talked about the T1's decay with quite a few people.  The way it measures is different than the way it sounds to me.  I remember talking to Tyll about it earlier in the year.  We were comparing the DT880 and the T1 and we spoke of a similar issue regarding the T1's measurements.  I've found the Tesla drivers to sound faster both in attack and decay than the DT series drivers.  I didn't want to utilize graphs for this review in order persuade / dissuade me from my own experiences. 

The T1 carries a resonance, but i still find its sound to be exceptionally fast for a dynamic headphone. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #323 of 5,854
So the T1 sounds faster than the HD800? The graphs are like night and day, especially if you do any modding to the 800.

Stock
958ed40c_HD800.txt.jpeg

Modded:
index.php

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #324 of 5,854
Amazing review; what a service to the community you have provided here!  Well done sir!  

This must really have taken you a substantial amount of time to complete, no?  Out of curiosity, how long did you work on this massive effort?  I'm guessing you started this ages ago.

I was personally delighted to find you'd ranked my headphones A+, and the greatest value on the market to boot.  As one who is always seeking the best bang for my buck, it made me happy.  But reading your review of HE-6, made me start to really consider eventually moving to a EF6/HE-6 rig.  Like mine but better.  Mmm.  

I was also quite intrigued by the HE Audio Jade phones, which I'd never heard of.  Stats from the great Fang, what a surprise that was (for me anyway).  Do you happen to know about how often these appear on the used market?  And lastly, in your experience, what seems to be the ratio of Jades with major problems and Jades like yours who came out clean?  

Thanks again for the great work.   

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #325 of 5,854
Quote:
So the T1 sounds faster than the HD800? The graphs are like night and day, especially if you do any modding to the 800.
Stock
958ed40c_HD800.txt.jpeg

Modded:
index.php

NO!, i didnt say that though? I think the HD800 is fast too and definitely more natural.

please dont put words in my mouth:)

also it is unknown to me the methodologies used to make the above graphs

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #326 of 5,854
Nice work, I don't agree with a lot of what you have said about some of the headphones I own and as always the best are almost unobtainable these days thus furthering their mystique; but very comprehensive. Hats off.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #327 of 5,854
I agree most of review. I also own woo wes with stax009. For completeness, I would recommend to try the following.

For best sounding headphone, Please try Final audio design piano forte X. I really love it compare to other small flagship headphones eg. ES5, JH13 or Fitear334.

For the best value, please try the creative aurvana live with cardas cable.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #328 of 5,854
Great article. I think it will help me quite a bit in future purchases, I found the whole article very informative. I just purchased my first good headphone, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, just waiting for it to arrive. How would you say it stacks up to those on the list? I didn't see the DT 990. I now have a better idea why my friend loves her R10s so much. Can't wait to get a chance to audition them.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #330 of 5,854
You sir deserve to be applauded.

What a collection, what a passion - what a piece of work!

Simply incredible review and gives those of us who may never see, let alone hear or own some of this kit a little insight into how it sounds and compares with some of the more accessible kit out there.

Congratulations and thank you!

O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back