Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #347 of 5,854
Thats a very helpful compendium and most importantly written by someone whose authority doesn't rely on graphs but on ears!Thank you!

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #348 of 5,854
This is a really worthwhile resource that has been compiled. I have the Sennheiser HD600. I listened to the Senn HD650 with Cardas cables originally in Seoul through a Sony CDP at Yongsan Electronic Market. A good test of equipment I think is to play music you dislike. The guy played Queen "The ShowMust Go On" on the HD650s and I thought wow....Being almost lunchtime and a bit pressured for time I just said, I've got enough money for the model down and I took that with a simple but good Audio Technica head amp for my basic Rotel RCD-06. I've since got a Musical Fidelity which I've rok grotto modded as far as it'll go minus re-wiring I guess and the rock grotto psu and every time the HD 600 has upscaled.
The review of the HD600 here has highlighted all the good aspects and all the reasons to keep upscaling as far as it may go. Obviously a good DAC (eg MF or REGA) would be great as would a better transport but the HD600 is a stable component.
Not best but better. And with no sign of wear really..
When it comes times to play around as money allows I will return to this resource. There's a subjective objectivity which is commendable.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #350 of 5,854
Thank you for taking the time to write this,  out of all the best of `s I have read regarding headphones this is clearly the best.  I find your descriptions are quite spot on to the headphones I have owned or heard,  I must admit when I see the cabinet  you have with all the equipment I died a little inside as I could only dream of having a collection as amazing ! 

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #354 of 5,854
This is without a doubt not only the most complete headphone comparison review; but also the best one on head-fi. Congratulations for the great review.

I also want to chime in and say that I think you've got a great ear, and I would have had very similar choices. I don't know how you managed to spend all this money on this stuff, and how much time you've put into the review; but it's definitely quite a feat and a gift to the community.

I currently own HD800's and HE-6's as flagships, and may be getting the LCD-3 if they if they come close to my well amped HE-6. I also agree that the HE-500 is the best value flagship out there and have said it many times; and the HD600's are must have mid-tiers for anyone who wants a versatile and "neutral" headphone

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #355 of 5,854
Should we open up a separate "Thank you" thread or should we actually discuss the headphones that were reviewed in David's awesome work? I don't want to sound like a party pooper but the appreciation for his work is kind of taking too long? It's been 24 pages and and other than a handful of posts most of it is just thank you and "how impressive" posts. 

Am I too off the mark here? 

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #356 of 5,854
Quote:
Should we open up a separate "Thank you" thread or should we actually discuss the headphones that were reviewed in David's awesome work? I don't want to sound like a party pooper but the appreciation for his work is kind of taking too long? It's been 24 pages and and other than a handful of posts most of it is just thank you and "how impressive" posts. 

you are 

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #357 of 5,854
Quote:
"Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet" - didn't you see the red danger sign?
biggrin.gif

Didn't know it was going to hurt this much!  
deadhorse.gif

eek.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #358 of 5,854
This may just be the king of all Head-Fi threads. And I agree with you on almost everything you've said. I still prefer the LCD-2 and the T1 to the HD800, when all properly amped and sourced.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #359 of 5,854
Quote:
Jude, any thoughts on adding a thread stickie function on HFi? That way people don't need to bookmark or forum-search for good threads like this when it gets a few pages off front-page.

I've added it to the sticky at the top of the Full-sized Headphones forum. It's neater than stickied threads in other forum software.

Quote:
I've talked about the T1's decay with quite a few people.  The way it measures is different than the way it sounds to me.  I remember talking to Tyll about it earlier in the year.  We were comparing the DT880 and the T1 and we spoke of a similar issue regarding the T1's measurements.  I've found the Tesla drivers to sound faster both in attack and decay than the DT series drivers.  I didn't want to utilize graphs for this review in order persuade / dissuade me from my own experiences. 

The T1 carries a resonance, but i still find its sound to be exceptionally fast for a dynamic headphone. 

I think your description matches that graph. If people looked closely, it appears the initial decay at most frequencies is steep, followed by all the resonances.  I think there is a tendency by people to look at the number of ridges or amount of colour mountain they can see in the graphs as the angle they are shown at isn't ideal for showing the steepness of the initial decay. Comparing them to a deliberately very carefully damped pair of HD-800s was a bit unfair too.

I think a few people are a bit shocked or upset at some of your ratings, but I get what you were trying to do in the review. In the context of that, I understand where you are coming from. For example, regarding the ED10s, I met the Ultrasone CEO on the weekend and he said, in essence, that they were not designed to be all-round headphones, but were designed to be good with acoustic music and not other types. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #360 of 5,854
Quote:

I don't think so. I just think this review is so earth-shatteringly good that everyone wanted to be sure the author got the message--which by now I'm sure he has. No doubt it will settle down now and we can start to discuss individual ratings and comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back