Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Sep 26, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #5,566 of 5,854
So I have UE's Reference Monitors and I love the detail, but I'm looking for suggestions for something similar but in full size headphone form. Preferably something that is easy to drive and easily replaced cables. Any recommendations?

I don't have the UERMs but from what I heard the HD800. Not hard to drive, but very similar signature from what I've read.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #5,567 of 5,854

I don't have the UERMs but from what I heard the HD800. Not hard to drive, but very similar signature from what I've read.

I've had the HD598's and were super disappointed in them greatest disappointment in my audiophile experience and the reputation of Sennheisers is them all sounding very similar except for very minuscule increases in performance the higher end you go.

I was thinking maybe the Beyerdynamic t5p, Dave seemed to have a high opinion of the t1's detail, but haven't seen a good review of the t5p, I want something very detailed and analytical.

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #5,569 of 5,854
  I've had the HD598's and were super disappointed in them greatest disappointment in my audiophile experience and the reputation of Sennheisers is them all sounding very similar except for very minuscule increases in performance the higher end you go.

I was thinking maybe the Beyerdynamic t5p, Dave seemed to have a high opinion of the t1's detail, but haven't seen a good review of the t5p, I want something very detailed and analytical.

I don't think its fair to compare the 598 with the 800... its like comparing apple earbuds to flagship CIEMs

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #5,570 of 5,854
  This is the best headphone review and comparison I have ever found, but please, it need an update asap, cmon!

I think we all agree this is a great review.  This is the first review I read as a new Head-Fi member.  That was a few years ago.  We also agree that it could be updated w/ new HP's.  However, there are good reasons why David hasn't updated it.  He has posted his reasons on this site.

You can find reviews of the newer HP's around the site, and good discussion on the threads.  Enjoy your time here, and your music!!

Cheers,
RCBinTN

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #5,572 of 5,854
  It would be great to see this amazing thread updated with latest additions to the market.

Altough this is my first post on this thread, I've read the review so many times over the years. What a great piece of work. 

Never gets old this one, just like some headphones in the review 
wink.gif

(HD650 lover)

Joined Jan 2014 and this is your first post??? You are careful with your words. But very accurate, "Battle of the Flagships" was (and is) an epic documentary. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,575 of 5,854
Wow, what a review! Thank you David.

I'm now working my way back through the posts to try and find information on the HE400 successors (I have read bit on other sites).

Sadly I can't test anything I'm considering buying where I live (UK), so I may just have to take a punt.

At the top of my list is the HE400s and HE400i (in no particular order yet).
Just behind those are the HD650 and HD600.

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #5,576 of 5,854
Is it safe to say that the Philips Fidelio X2 would be somewhere in the #20-#25 range and A+ for value?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back