Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Apr 24, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #5,116 of 5,854
Just a clarification, and no offense taken:
I already knew that the HE-560 isn't a flagship, and wasn't implying that It was
rolleyes.gif

Go back and read what I wrote.
I wrote :
'Would be interesting to see where the newest flagships, and other TOP NEWER HEADPHONES would rank on this list'.
The Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD700, Audeze LCD 2, Beyerdynamic DT880/DT770, or the Hifiman HE-500/HE-400 weren't flagships either, but they were a part of this shootout as well
wink.gif

Just a correction, the HD600, 650 and LCD2 were all flagships in the past. The LCD2 was the top of Audeze chain and their only full production can, till the LCD3 arrived. The HD600 took over from the HD580 as the flagship model until the release of the HD650 a decade ago, then came the HD800.

The DT880 were considered by many to be the best on offer by Beyer way back, but the DT990 might be considered the flagship "by number".

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #5,117 of 5,854
I auditoned today the LCD 3 the LCD X and LCD 2 (along with the HE-560) for around 2 hours.
All LCD were Fazor versions.

I was using a rather poor chain (on purpouse), and my favorite was the LCD 2.
Both LCD 3 and X sounded VERY similar to me, with the LCD 3 being clearly better, but by so little it was not something id pay more for.
The HE-560 sounded like a mix of a Dynamic HP in the highs and a PLanar in the lower mids/lows.
The problem with that was that it sounded weird.
I could not focus and enjoy either the bass the mids or the highs because everything was in my face. There is a huge chance Im just not trained enought yet to actually hear the difference, so take my subjetive view with a rock of salt (a grain would be too little).

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #5,118 of 5,854
The upper mids/low treble on the HE-560 are very forward, that is what you are hearing. Some of us are very sensitive to spikes in that area and it can overpower the rest of the spectrums, as you describe. I ended up skipping this particular headphone for that reason.

Over time, I've discovered what I adore about the HD800 is the mids are actually laid back slightly, but the treble is forward. So it's oddly relaxing yet insanely detailed.

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,119 of 5,854
  I auditoned today the LCD 3 the LCD X and LCD 2 (along with the HE-560) for around 2 hours.
All LCD were Fazor versions.

I was using a rather poor chain (on purpouse), and my favorite was the LCD 2.
Both LCD 3 and X sounded VERY similar to me, with the LCD 3 being clearly better, but by so little it was not something id pay more for.
The HE-560 sounded like a mix of a Dynamic HP in the highs and a PLanar in the lower mids/lows.
The problem with that was that it sounded weird.
I could not focus and enjoy either the bass the mids or the highs because everything was in my face. There is a huge chance Im just not trained enought yet to actually hear the difference, so take my subjetive view with a rock of salt (a grain would be too little).

There is a 4khz peak with the HE-560, how noticeable the peak is will depend on your source/amp. With most solid state amps on the current market, there's a good chance the peak will be noticeable. Dynamic highs, planar mids and lows leads me to believe there is a mismatch in equipment though, because you're calling it 'poor', so I have to assume the amp can't keep up as there is a 10 dB difference in sensitivity with the LCD-2F and a staggering 20 dB difference with the LCD-3F. I personally hear the tone as neutral with no part being forward.

I still think the HE-560 needs to be heard for people curious about this peak that have capable tube amps, hybrids or warm solid state amps and dacs. I was surprised nothing out of the HE-560's was forward out of my stack. Highs were actually slightly laid back but never sounding recessed.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #5,120 of 5,854
560 has a 6-7db hump at 4khz with focus pads, and a 3db hump at 4khz with focus pads-a.  Put the focus pads-a on them and then EQ 4khz down 3db, then 2khz up 3db.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #5,123 of 5,854

There is a 4khz peak with the HE-560, how noticeable the peak is will depend on your source/amp. With most solid state amps on the current market, there's a good chance the peak will be noticeable. Dynamic highs, planar mids and lows leads me to believe there is a mismatch in equipment though, because you're calling it 'poor', so I have to assume the amp can't keep up as there is a 10 dB difference in sensitivity with the LCD-2F and a staggering 20 dB difference with the LCD-3F. I personally hear the tone as neutral with no part being forward.

I still think the HE-560 needs to be heard for people curious about this peak that have capable tube amps, hybrids or warm solid state amps and dacs. I was surprised nothing out of the HE-560's was forward out of my stack. Highs were actually slightly laid back but never sounding recessed.

It was a short listen, and the source was just a cowon i9, so Its not like I was giving them the best option out there.
I want to try the HD800 also and then have a decent Idea of what HP to... loan i guess for a few days to really test them properly.

May 5, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #5,124 of 5,854
Found a pair of headphone that will rival the HE-90 in terms of cost. Can't say the same about how they sound though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chanel-x-Monster-Headphone-pouch-clutch-bag-watch-preorder-/321742487898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae958c15a

May 5, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #5,125 of 5,854
  Found a pair of headphone that will rival the HE-90 in terms of cost. Can't say the same about how they sound though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chanel-x-Monster-Headphone-pouch-clutch-bag-watch-preorder-/321742487898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae958c15a

Actually the announce price is $5000. And yeah, the Chanel carrying pouch itself costs $4999 already.

May 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #5,126 of 5,854

Actually the announce price is $5000. And yeah, the Chanel carrying pouch itself costs $4999 already.

Those were announced long ago. My friend and I were talking about how they probably don't cost more than $100 to make.

May 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #5,127 of 5,854
Quote:Music Concoctor
 My friend and I were talking about how they probably don't cost more than $100 to make.

Realistically, not more than 100c is some distant sweat-shop.

Importer and middle-man markups are brutal......  
blink.gif

May 29, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #5,129 of 5,854
I'm still drooling over the review of the original Omega, and just noticed that one appears to be selling... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-1996-Stax-Electrostatic-Gold-Mesh-SR-Omega-Earspeakers-Headphones-/381270629496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c5801c78

way to expensive for me though
jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back