Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #4,801 of 5,854
  HiFiMAN HE-400i and HE-560, both newly announced at CES, will weight around 350g... You might want to check it out - http://www.head-fi.org/t/698831/fresh-outta-ces-the-hifiman-he-400i-and-he-560/270 

I saw it. I might have something to use my Cable Company credits on. I'm watching that and Oppo PM-1. But the T1 is also down around $900, but supposedly T90 gives around 90-95 percent of that headphone's performance for about $600 and is much newer.

Choices, choices...I really just upgrade my DAC/amp and let the reviews all come out later this year.
beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #4,804 of 5,854
Amazing thread.

If you're still updating it, you could maybe include the new Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC in it!

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #4,806 of 5,854
  Agreed. Probably the two additions I would like to know about the most are Beyerdynamic's T5P and Audez'e LCD-XC. 

+1! and also, i can't wait for the HE400i & HE560 to be added to this list :)

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #4,807 of 5,854
Jan 23, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #4,809 of 5,854
Hi David.. 

HD800, LCD3 & HE6 are they really better headphones than Stax 007a ? 

Well David stated in the Review that he sees it so even knowing that others don't. I belong to the second group owning HE6 and HD800 and Ω2. The SR007 MK1 with a great amp is superior IMHO but notice this applies only to the MK1 and not the 007A.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #4,812 of 5,854
  Hello,

As I'm french, I don't really understand the word "decay" used in the review. Could someone explain me what it does refer to or even translate it in french words?
Thank you.
wink_face.gif

Decay = From Old French "Decair." Meaning partial deterioration short of destruction.... roughly speaking. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #4,813 of 5,854
Hello,

As I'm french, I don't really understand the word "decay" used in the review. Could someone explain me what it does refer to or even translate it in french words?
Thank you.:wink_face:  

Decay is used to describe how a sound 'extends' or carries on so to speak. If a drum is hit for example , natural 'decay' would be it's natural resonance that follows, if a HP had slow decay it would carry the resonance on for too long and this wouldn't be desirable. Another way to think of it is a headphones ability to accurately move and stop when required and with the correct energy. I suppose an impulse response graph or csd plot would be the objective way of seeing this . Probably not the best description but I hope this helps. Hopefully someone can add to this to make it easier .

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #4,814 of 5,854
Decay is used to describe how a sound 'extends' or carries on so to speak. If a drum is hit for example , natural 'decay' would be it's natural resonance that follows, if a HP had slow decay it would carry the resonance on for too long and this wouldn't be desirable. Another way to think of it is a headphones ability to accurately move and stop when required and with the correct energy. I suppose an impulse response graph or csd plot would be the objective way of seeing this . Probably not the best description but I hope this helps. Hopefully someone can add to this to make it easier .

We can put it into an analogy I guess... Headphone decay = cars brakes. If a car needs a long time to brake, then they are not desirable. On the contrary, swift braking cars are desirable.

Don't know if this is a good analogy or not, hope it helps.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #4,815 of 5,854
Decay is the speed that the headphone processes the data. Faster decay = more detail retrieval.

DT-660 has a similar sound signature to the HD800, but has a much slower decay, so it has forward treble but still feels blurred somewhat. HD800, in comparison, is exhausting because it is picking up so much detail with the same sound signature (although it has more bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back