Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
May 9, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #3,646 of 5,854
Quote:
At full power you'll be at ear-bleeding levels anyways. Just keep things at normal listening volumes where power is moderate and you'll be fine. 

Fair enought, normally i listen to the Fiio E17 at 6 gain 40-50 or gain 12 at 30 vol.
And thats when i want LOUD, normally about 20% less. I was just worried that the raw power would destroy the HPS :D.

May 9, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #3,647 of 5,854
Quote:cyborg00900
I think anyone who heard an LCD2.2 and an Orpheus would take the Orpheus.
Psst I'd take beats over both , seriously guys think about it there way lighter, don't need an amp, they don't cost a fortune, They fold up, and the most important thing is that I'd be socially accepted in to the mainstream.

And to top it off they sound like rubbish.
Think bass that is doof doof instead of a real percussion sound.
What a waste of money at any price.
Beats me why people like beats.           Rotten sound in a presnetable package, perhaps?

May 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #3,648 of 5,854
Quote:

I thought they sound really good and definitely preferred them to the LCD-3.  

eek.gif

May 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #3,650 of 5,854
Quote:
Fair enought, normally i listen to the Fiio E17 at 6 gain 40-50 or gain 12 at 30 vol.
And thats when i want LOUD, normally about 20% less. I was just worried that the raw power would destroy the HPS :D.

For a lot of headphones (not all mind you), the drivers will start to distort when they exceed their maximum power handling. This sounds different from source/amp clipping. In any event, if you hear distortion/clipping/badstuff when you're cranking the music, turn it down.

You're more likely to blow a driver feeding a hot signal into an underpowered amp anyways. 

May 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #3,651 of 5,854
And to top it off they sound like rubbish.
Think bass that is doof doof instead of a real percussion sound.
What a waste of money at any price.
Beats me why people like beats.           Rotten sound in a presnetable package, perhaps?

It's these youngens and their mainstream music, it's all "doof doof" so it makes sense at the end of the day.
**** music that the media portrays and the **** cans which they advertise.
But then again who am I to judge.

May 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #3,652 of 5,854
Quote:
It's these youngens and their mainstream music, it's all "doof doof" so it makes sense at the end of the day.

So true, it's not just that the music is bad....The recording engineers seem to have forgotten how to do their job!

May 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #3,653 of 5,854

So true, it's not just that the music is bad....The recording engineers seem to have forgotten how to do their job!

Any idea how old of farts you're sounding like right now? Lol! This coming from an old fart that knows his place in the world. The king is dead! Long live the king!

May 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #3,654 of 5,854
Quote:
I went to a local Head-Fi meet and in an after-after meet, I got to try out the Stax Lambda Signature and Sigma Pro earspeakers.

@ DavidMahler, what amp did you use with the Sigma's? I found them to be very bassy and congested, not ideal for orchestra nor acoustic tracks from my listen. They had a LOT of mid bass and not much extension. Looking at your review for the Sigma, it almost seems the opposite experience I had. XD

I found the Lambda Signature to be much more transparent and open-sounding in comparison.

I also tried the LCD-2 with an Objective 2 amp, as I stated I would do earlier in the thread, and I have to re-evaluate my preferences for them since they sounded really great! Most of the rigs here pair it with tube amplifiers and I NEVER liked the LCD-2's with them. With the O2, I actually enjoyed it so much as to give it a good amount of head-time. Now if only they weren't so heavy.....I had to keep it on my head with two hands since they kept sliding off my head. :frowning2:

I tried the HE-500 too. With a Woo Audio WA7, the sound was smooth and pretty neutral. On the Objective 2, which is what I would use were I to buy the HE-500, I noticed an annoying treble peak at around 10 kHz, which is the case from what I see in Tyll's Innerfidelity measurements.

strangely, I missed this wonderful post! Curious, do you know if your Sigma was the Pro, standard version or the version to incorporate 404 drivers?  Either way, I use the BHSE with it.  I agree with you tho that there is a mid-bass bump and the bass overall is sort of a mixed bag.

Nice videos!

EDIT: Never mind, I have noted that you are using the Sigma Pro

May 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3,655 of 5,854
Quote:
Any idea how old of farts you're sounding like right now? Lol! This coming from an old fart that knows his place in the world. The king is dead! Long live the king!

Ha! But i will say in terms of mainstream music that the appearances of real human beings playing instruments becomes fewer and fewer with each passing year.  Even when you hear a real instrument it is almost never left untouched by autotune, or time-correction.  For me, it is a tremendous loss because i care a lot about connecting with the artist through music.  It's much harder for me personally to do this when all the markings and traces of imperfection are removed.  I feel bad for the younger generations who are less likely to be exposed to what a real instrumental/vocal performance sounds like.  Of course there is non-mainstream music which leave the performance alone, but its obviously not going to reach the majority of young ears or pique their curiosities while they are young.

May 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3,656 of 5,854
Quote:
Ha! But i will say in terms of mainstream music that the appearances of real human beings playing instruments becomes fewer and fewer with each passing year.  Even when you hear a real instrument it is almost never left untouched by autotune, or time-correction.  For me, it is a tremendous loss because i care a lot about connecting with the artist through music.  It's much harder for me personally to do this when all the markings and traces of imperfection are removed.  I feel bad for the younger generations who are less likely to be exposed to what a real instrumental/vocal performance sounds like.  Of course there is non-mainstream music which leave the performance alone, but its obviously not going to reach the majority of young ears or pique their curiosities while they are young.

Well said.
I'd also add that 'mainstream music' has always been for the sheep of society. Let them listen to it with their Beats in Mcdonalds and leave them to it. 

May 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #3,657 of 5,854
Quote:

Well said David, I think is a key reason why we see all of these 60's, 70's and 80's bands still able to make a living while many are way past their prime. Because, their music was made by the artist, not the engineer. And yes I know I am showing my age. :wink:

May 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3,658 of 5,854
Quote:

That's a dilemma indeed. The more I spend on headphones and gears the crappier my favorite songs seem to sound even in CD format. On some of them I can clearly hear serious distortion when the singer reaches a high note. Could it be that her voice was artifically boosted/modified or just poor mastering? 

May 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #3,659 of 5,854
Quote:

my thoughts exactly, LOLi'd give a dollar to a kid who knows who Frank Sinatra is.
Quote:

lolllll

May 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3,660 of 5,854
Frank Sin- who? I kid :p

Well hey guys, I'm what you'd classify as a kid (borderline) and I am and have been surrounded by very knowledgeable musicians and music lovers. Albeit we're in the minority, a lot of younger aged people are willing and ready to discover. Here in Montreal, vinyls are vastly outselling CD's for the past ~ 2 years not only because of hipster culture; but also because music is a big part of the city.

I've got customers coming every day looking for turntables or higher end names in headphones. I'd say the ratio of beats/notable hifi makes is really 2/1 versus 5/1 two years ago based on what I sell

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back