Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jan 28, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #2,626 of 5,854
I don't think so. I meant that if someone do a review about these headphones without any bias (price,looks,brands) or do a headphone blind test, that guy will know that he/she shouldn't look down on some entry-level headphones anymore (I say some). For me, I think that there is not the best-sounding headphone for everyone but there is the well-suited headphone for everyone since each person likes different sound signature,don't you agree?

Not to derail here..but originally this thread was about a review of flagship headphones...the reviewer already included some non flagship cans because if their almostflag ship performance..he cant fir heaven sake test any mid/low fi cans because people actually buy them..or in their own way like them.. This thread has to be kept as simple as possible..there are a million cans i think around there.. So best action on this thread is to SUGGEST/ASK the reviewer if he WANTS to include them on his list..if he says no..well..then in his eyes and propable in many other headfi'ers its not worthy to be included.. So if u still have the opinion one certain headphone is flagship sound quality material..and it wont be included in this thread..well..u can always start ur own appreciation thread as many others also did..and stop discussing phones who are not included for so long.. Am sorry if this sounds harsch guys..but i am only being honest here... And its. Ofcourse my opinion. So guys..if we do find that wonderfull can somwhere and its not mentioned here...suggest it here and tell us why its completely annihilates his compitition..we all love those cans..but let the moderator of this thread decide himself if he thinks that too... :p oh yeah..pls be nice to me if ur angry now :D am just being honest..

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #2,627 of 5,854
David,

do you think HD800 are worth considering as a complement to my LCD-2 rev2? I am waiting for your review of rev2 version since your graph is very similar to mine but...

... I wonder whether the 3D soundstaging and imaging ability of HD800 could be worth 1200 USD if I listen to modern pop/rock/metal primarily. I know I am going to prefer LCD-2 for their FR and forgiving nature but not as interested in upgrading to LCD-3 right now since I can have LCD-2 rev2 and HD800 for the same price in reality (and HD800 should have a lot better soundstage and imaging + LCD-2 rev2 should at the same time sound more "hard'n'heavy", than LCD-3).

Thank you very much!

I have the lcd2 r2 and recently bought the hd800 to complement it. The lcd2 has an oomph in the lower end and a lovely natural warm sound.
The hd800s are more accurate and have a wider soundstage.
I alternate between the two and choose the music I would choose irrespective of the phones.
I hear new things with the hd800 s and get a great atmosphere with the lcd2's.
If I had to choose I would choose the hd800 every time.
But don't worry if they sound awful to start with. They need to be warmed up probably more than burnt in. Mine sounded truly awful for the first hour. I had them playing through an ipod 24 hrs for a week and they were fine.
There's a lot of talk about amping and so I will tell you what I use. The graham slee novo on a 24v power pack. The fidelity upa200 on mains. And the beresford bushmaster dac has a built in hp out that adds a lot more to tthe bass response of the hd800.
I use these amps in equal amounts and get pleasure from all of them.
Hope this helps. There may be a better headphone out there for your tastes but I would urge you to try the hd800 before you spend that much money on something else.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #2,628 of 5,854
Not to derail here..but originally this thread was about a review of flagship headphones...the reviewer already included some non flagship cans because if their almostflag ship performance..he cant fir heaven sake test any mid/low fi cans because people actually buy them..or in their own way like them.. This thread has to be kept as simple as possible..there are a million cans i think around there.. So best action on this thread is to SUGGEST/ASK the reviewer if he WANTS to include them on his list..if he says no..well..then in his eyes and propable in many other headfi'ers its not worthy to be included.. So if u still have the opinion one certain headphone is flagship sound quality material..and it wont be included in this thread..well..u can always start ur own appreciation thread as many others also did..and stop discussing phones who are not included for so long.. Am sorry if this sounds harsch guys..but i am only being honest here... And its. Ofcourse my opinion. So guys..if we do find that wonderfull can somwhere and its not mentioned here...suggest it here and tell us why its completely annihilates his compitition..we all love those cans..but let the moderator of this thread decide himself if he thinks that too... :p oh yeah..pls be nice to me if ur angry now :D am just being honest..

Ok I understand.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #2,631 of 5,854
Can any expert here advise if the HE-500 can be powered properly by the odac/o2( desktop ) as I read it needs 1W? Thanks

Some people say it c an be driven by that combo..i had my he500 once driven by a humble matrix mstage..before i had my 337..and he did it well..its not the power whats important only..its more about the quality of the power..quality of the amp.. As one person once said..power is nothing without control :wink: the he500 does need some power to work on its best..BUT..that 1 watt figure is not a Day and night rule..u just have to try it i guess.. And see if it fits u..compare amps if possible..as Its all about synergy with the he500 above raw minimal power figures (1watt)...imho ofcourse.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #2,633 of 5,854
Quote:
Can any expert here advise if the HE-500 can be powered properly by the odac/o2( desktop ) as I read it needs 1W? Thanks

I have no idea, but I would want to know if the HE-500 can be powered by a Meier Corda Jazz, if anyone knows. Thanks.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #2,634 of 5,854
Quote:
Not to derail here..but originally this thread was about a review of flagship headphones...the reviewer already included some non flagship cans because if their almostflag ship performance..he cant fir heaven sake test any mid/low fi cans because people actually buy them..or in their own way like them.. This thread has to be kept as simple as possible..there are a million cans i think around there.. So best action on this thread is to SUGGEST/ASK the reviewer if he WANTS to include them on his list..if he says no..well..then in his eyes and propable in many other headfi'ers its not worthy to be included.. So if u still have the opinion one certain headphone is flagship sound quality material..and it wont be included in this thread..well..u can always start ur own appreciation thread as many others also did..and stop discussing phones who are not included for so long.. Am sorry if this sounds harsch guys..but i am only being honest here... And its. Ofcourse my opinion. So guys..if we do find that wonderfull can somwhere and its not mentioned here...suggest it here and tell us why its completely annihilates his compitition..we all love those cans..but let the moderator of this thread decide himself if he thinks that too...
tongue.gif
oh yeah..pls be nice to me if ur angry now
biggrin.gif
am just being honest..

Nice post.... it's not harsh, and i dont mind people asking for inclusions:)

I'm probably going to be officially wrapping up the review soon though.  I need to have more $ for other things lol.
Quote:
ummm... how about beyerdynamic T5p??

I have reviewed that headphone, but I am doubtful that I will include it here as I don't intend on owning it.  However, I did like it a lot.
Quote:
...or the latest Beyerdynamic T90?

Perhaps one day, but again, I think my $pending days are going to be over soon:)

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,636 of 5,854
Quote:
I am actually ahead of schedule with regard to the LCD-2 rev 2 review.  Expect it toward the end of the 2nd week in February!

PS, I really like the headphone :)

Oh boy! Yes! I hope you are not going to rank it worse than rev1... Because in that case I am going to stay with it and forget LCD-3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,638 of 5,854
Quote:
I have reviewed that headphone, but I am doubtful that I will include it here as I don't intend on owning it.  However, I did like it a lot.

well... of course you dont have to owning that one... if for home use better to use full setup like T1.... much superior I think...

I just little bit curious if, the t5p will sound like "flagship" class headphones...

but for now, I just set my eye for orthodynamic like HE500... still finding for proper amp before buying that...

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,639 of 5,854
Quote:
Nice post.... it's not harsh, and i dont mind people asking for inclusions:)

I'm probably going to be officially wrapping up the review soon though.  I need to have more $ for other things lol.
I haven't heard this pairing, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be ideal, at least to get the most out of the headphone.
Perhaps one day, but again, I think my $pending days are going to be over soon:)

Thanks david for ur nice words.. If ur spending days are going to be over..what ru then going to do with all that spare time now u are stopping with making excellent reviews 
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2,640 of 5,854
Quote:

According to the O2's designer, and comments from the HE-500 thread, it's perfectly capable of driving them both well and loudly.

I must withdraw my statement. For some reason I believed I was reading a comment about the Corda Jazz and the HE-500 and I commented on the wrong one.  Glad you followed up here... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back