The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 28, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #12,181 of 12,992
I've never heard the m100s so I can't compare, but the Crossfade 2's have a good deal of base, and from what I've read, I thought they were the same as the m100s, only with the addition of bluetooth, but I could be wrong. Honestly, I think they are super underrated. Audiophiles crap on them and call them "fun" in condescending tones, but I don't think many have actually listened to them. The $700 headphones I just returned (the AT-w900s) sounded very, very similar to the Crossfade 2's when I had their bass boosted to 10 through an amp. The treble is slightly more recessed on the Crossfade 2's vs the AT-w900s, but the treble on the w900s was ****ing ear piercing. I listen to music for hours on end at times, so I much prefer the recessed treble of the Crossfade 2.

All that said, the Crossfade 2s actully have great treble, mids, and separation relative to most other bass-heavy headphones I've tried. I really do think that V-Moda is underrated among audiophiles.
So, forgive me, what is the difference between the Crossfade 2 and the Crossfade Lp2 in terms of bass response?

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #12,182 of 12,992
OK guys. I "think" I'm looking for a recommendation, but not sure. I've been using a Denon D7000, 5000, and 2000 for years. I love them so much that I also have new backup sets of both the 7000 and 5000 that are mint stored safely in their cases if one ever gives out. BUT! After all these years, I'm curious if there are any phones released that have better bass (impact and punch) as these size 50 drivers? I love them in the mids and highs as well, everything really. But Im still curious if there is now better? I've had LCD2 and was disappointed with the lack of physical punch and dynamics. I've had the TH900 and LOVED the bass, but the highs were simply too much to bear (and I've never been treble sensitive to much of anything until the TH900) So the LCD2 and TH900 were sold. Anything I should look for? Maybe a JVC HP-DX1000? Or what's new fellow bassheads!? Or do I still have the best?
The good news (in my opinion) is that you fell in love with some of the best, esp. the D7000 which I think is a bit of a unicorn. D5K and D2K run very close behind with D2K so good for the money that I use them more often than the D7K just to save the precious D7K. The JVC DX1000 has slightly muted highs compared to the Denons but performs similarly with similar excellent punch. The DX1K has comically deeper cups and harder-to-find pads. The DX1K cups have built-in resonating chambers, like a 4th order sub, similar to the SZ1000 and SZ2000 but the DX1K uses a single driver. While the 55mm driver and resonating chambers of the SZ1K and SZ2K pound harder than the DX1K and the Denons when driven hard with a capable amp, both of the SZ's require so much EQ in the mids and highs to rescue the FR from their default bloated mess that it's hardly worth it. The DX1K has better default tuning than the SZs, but I prefer the tuning of the Denons. But if you have a D2K/D5K/D7K (or 2 of each), you don't need a DX1000. Mine sits handsomely and jealouslyon the shelf next to the Denons which get more use. But by all means, if you find one, you'll enjoy it. PS: I agree with you about the TH900 and Audeze. Campfire Cascades can pound as well as the Denons but I prefer the Denon experience. The only other candidate that pounds harder than the Denons is a set of custom 70mm biocellulose oval closed-backs I frankenstein'd together but they require way to much EQ to sound natural in the mids and highs. What are you driving the Denons with? While they're easy to drive, they do love plentiful power to control their capable drivers well.

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #12,183 of 12,992
So, forgive me, what is the difference between the Crossfade 2 and the Crossfade Lp2 in terms of bass response?
I have the Crossfade LP2, and I used to own the Crossfade 2 Wireless (Rose Gold).

Off hand, the Crossfade LP2 has a weightier mid-bass response; correspondingly, the Crossfade 2 is a tad less heavy in its bass presentation. Mind you, this is in comparative terms - the Crossfade 2 is still very much a bass-slanted headphone,; it's just one that's a little more palatable to the general consumer than the Crossfade LP2, I reckon.

Both of these headphones are dark in their respective tones, but the Crossfade 2 Wireless ekes out the win in the engagement department, thanks to a spicier treble section.

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #12,185 of 12,992
I have the Crossfade LP2, and I used to own the Crossfade 2 Wireless (Rose Gold).

Off hand, the Crossfade LP2 has a weightier mid-bass response; correspondingly, the Crossfade 2 is a tad less heavy in its bass presentation. Mind you, this is in comparative terms - the Crossfade 2 is still very much a bass-slanted headphone,; it's just one that's a little more palatable to the general consumer than the Crossfade LP2, I reckon.

Both of these headphones are dark in their respective tones, but the Crossfade 2 Wireless ekes out the win in the engagement department, thanks to a spicier treble section.
Thanks! I must say I tried the Crossfade 100 Master and, boy, there's too much bass in that thing. It's boomy (but not in a sharp way) and hard-hitting and a bit too much for my taste. Although it's not bad with some jazz/fusion tracks (looks like a paradox, but it isn't, really) when it comes ro rock music or dance, I get tired after a few songs.
Funny thing is it sounds "clear" (and actually sounds kid of nice) on most of the rest of the frequencies, but if you listen closely you get the feeeling that clarity is somewhat "artificial" or synthetic. A really weird kind of headphones, IMNSFHO.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #12,188 of 12,992
The good news (in my opinion) is that you fell in love with some of the best, esp. the D7000 which I think is a bit of a unicorn. D5K and D2K run very close behind with D2K so good for the money that I use them more often than the D7K just to save the precious D7K. The JVC DX1000 has slightly muted highs compared to the Denons but performs similarly with similar excellent punch. The DX1K has comically deeper cups and harder-to-find pads. The DX1K cups have built-in resonating chambers, like a 4th order sub, similar to the SZ1000 and SZ2000 but the DX1K uses a single driver. While the 55mm driver and resonating chambers of the SZ1K and SZ2K pound harder than the DX1K and the Denons when driven hard with a capable amp, both of the SZ's require so much EQ in the mids and highs to rescue the FR from their default bloated mess that it's hardly worth it. The DX1K has better default tuning than the SZs, but I prefer the tuning of the Denons. But if you have a D2K/D5K/D7K (or 2 of each), you don't need a DX1000. Mine sits handsomely and jealouslyon the shelf next to the Denons which get more use. But by all means, if you find one, you'll enjoy it. PS: I agree with you about the TH900 and Audeze. Campfire Cascades can pound as well as the Denons but I prefer the Denon experience. The only other candidate that pounds harder than the Denons is a set of custom 70mm biocellulose oval closed-backs I frankenstein'd together but they require way to much EQ to sound natural in the mids and highs. What are you driving the Denons with? While they're easy to drive, they do love plentiful power to control their capable drivers well.
Wow what an excellent write up! Thank you for sharing all that experience and so sorry for the late reply. I currently us the Audeez Deckard to power all the Denons. I've not tried any other amps. I suppose I should. And thank you again good fellow.

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #12,191 of 12,992
Wow what an excellent write up! Thank you for sharing all that experience and so sorry for the late reply. I currently us the Audeez Deckard to power all the Denons. I've not tried any other amps. I suppose I should. And thank you again good fellow.
Deckhard is a great amp and is plenty of power for the Denons which are quite efficient.

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #12,192 of 12,992
Just a wee shout out to one of my absolute favourite bassy headphones, the KRK KNS8400👌
That thing is just marvelous…and unlike many a basshead cans this cheapo KRK actually does mids and treble to perfection. It sounds realistic whilst packing a wholesome bass punch. Hits me right in the gizzards.
People who dig the SRH1540 yet would like something cheaper..that doesn’t sound cheaper..well you should seriously consider the KNS8400. Together with the K371, SRH1540 and the D7200, it is my favourite closedback.
After reading your post, I went to eBay to find some and there's currently a set for £20 or £40 buy it now.

However, most reviews say how light the bass actually is.. is it likely less bassy than say the Beyerdynamic DT770?

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #12,193 of 12,992
Focal Clear with Dekoni Sheepskin pads. Doesn't have the most bass I've heard but hands down hits the hardest, in terms of punch / slam / imapct. What have you.

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #12,194 of 12,992
I have to credit @OhMyGodPancakes with this idea, specifically we both have Oppo HA-1's his idea is to from an amp that can do headphone and pre-amp out at the same time, hookup line out to a powerful external subwoofer, so you can listen to your headphones and also have(low volume, just want to feel it a bit) the woofer going to compliment it.... We also both like Audeze headphones, and have 150W+ woofers so this is a killer combo, not to mention the HA-1 is magic!

Also I will add since the woofer is mainly for the physicality you don't need something crazy expensive, a powered one works fine, but you will also benefit from using a high quality dac/pre-amp anyway so there is a sound quality boost but the cheapest kind! Free, to me that is as quality as spending much more on a nicer woofer.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #12,195 of 12,992
Once you set the gain and the crossover just right there is not going back.

justright.jpg

The only downside is if you like to use several pairs of headphones, you'll need to match the gains and crossovers again, every time...
I recommend picking your favorite, and just shutting it down when you use any other set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back