The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #12,151 of 12,993
Heyyy I saw your earlier comment about liking subbass more, I own the 99 Neo's and have heard the 99 Classic (umm barely could tell a difference honestly you should buy the 99 Neo/Noire to save money buy used on Ebay/elsewhere you can get it under 160$, basically the same headphone but cheaper.) and they have a ton of midbass. Imagine JVC SZ1000/Fostex Purplehearts being Midbass kings instead of Subbass kings, that's like the Neo basically. Also, the Meze 99's would definitely have a lot more quality than the Floyd fr52 but the midbass is still huge! It still has decent subbass rumble but just know its definitely a midbassy can. Hope that helps! 😊 :)
Honestly the main reason I want the Classic over the Neo is just because the walnut/gold Classic just looks gorgeous, lol. I'd love to look at that hanging on my wall when it's not hanging on my head.

But I hadn't considered before what you pointed out, that a used Neo/Noir would be literally half the price of a new Classic and sound (near as makes no difference) identical. That is some tempting knowledge. But I suppose another reason I want a new Classic is because there have been plenty of headphones I was eager to own, then finally purchased, only to find out they felt really uncomfortable on my head and were basically unwearable for me. So I'd like to have a return policy to fall back on in case I don't like the fit of the 99.

And yeah, I'm mostly a sub-bass kinda guy, but I definitely have appreciation for good midbass, as well. I liked what I heard of the Floyd Rose, I just ended up returning them before getting to know them because they didn't fit me. For me, they're definitely on-ears, not over-ears, and after 20 minutes I'd have just killer ear pain. If they were comfortable for me to wear, I'd have definitely kept them longer and gotten to know them better. But, being legit painful for me and thus knowing I'd never wear them, plus having a return policy I could take advantage of, I did take advantage of it.

I also got my FR for $40, not the usual $150 they go for these days. Based on what I heard, they're absolutely worth $40 if you happen to find one for that price, too. But $150, no way. There's way too many other compelling options at that price range, especially if you're open to buying used.

Nov 12, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #12,152 of 12,993
Meze 99 classic are top of the line for money, my M15 made them nimble, tight, bass it deep with great impact, over 2.5mm silver. Only ones that would be step up in my mind would be Campfire Cascade, never heard them personally but intend to purchase those. Aldo proud owner of Audeze LCD2 phaser opened headphone, even though it has great amount of detail and good impact I crave for more thump, M15 will do best the headphones sound the best it can.
My basshead endgame is the E-mu Teaks (Ebony). Wish I had gotten them when they first came out and called it quits.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #12,153 of 12,993
DemolitionMan, the reason I like to stay with 50-55mm drivers is that they are comfy on a movie night or long listens sessions nothing is pressing against the ear as 50-55mm soaks the whole ear in...

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #12,154 of 12,993
Well, the XB1000 drivers are 70mm, most planars have drivers in the 100mm range, etc, if that's your sole requirement

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #12,155 of 12,993
Modded Sony Z7m2 hits very hard. It has the hardest hitting sub bass I've heard in a headphone so far.

Will tenderize your eardrums like you were at an EDM concert.

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #12,156 of 12,993
Modded Sony Z7m2 hits very hard. It has the hardest hitting sub bass I've heard in a headphone so far.

Will tenderize your eardrums like you were at an EDM concert.
How do you mod the Z7m2?

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #12,157 of 12,993
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #12,158 of 12,993
got the basshead HP, denon d1100

Attachments

• 217A9B3D-2BD9-4239-B4D3-3B9274A410EB.jpeg
    217A9B3D-2BD9-4239-B4D3-3B9274A410EB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 18, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #12,159 of 12,993
nice combo😎 d1100 + cayin r01

Attachments

• 0A4A008A-C2C2-4EB0-84B1-5E8381E56640.jpeg
    0A4A008A-C2C2-4EB0-84B1-5E8381E56640.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 23, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #12,160 of 12,993
Hello guys, its been awhile. So, I just wanted to quickly let you all know, the Wicked Cushions pads that I got for my V-Moda Crossfade LP2 cans are beginning to flake. I bought them in 2020, and I have been taking care of them, by that I mean, I have applied leather conditioner treatment twice, 6-months apart. So, they didn't really last any longer then the Brainwaves HM5 Sheepskin Leather Oval pads, for my JVC SZ1000E's, that I didn't take care of.

When I take a close look at the flaking pads, I can see how thin the leather material is, and I have to say, for such a highly rated set of pads, I am quite disappointed. Because V-Moda cans use a specialized diamond shaped design with those plastic snaps, that is the reason I think why there just isn't as much pad variety as their is for JVC's. If only Brainwaves made a pad design for V-Moda.

IDK, I am really getting the feeling that pads just don't last anymore, I am just not having any luck with them. So, long term longevity report on the Wicked Cushions pads for V-Moda headphones, your looking at a year, and thats with conditioning.

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #12,161 of 12,993
Hello guys, its been awhile. So, I just wanted to quickly let you all know, the Wicked Cushions pads that I got for my V-Moda Crossfade LP2 cans are beginning to flake. I bought them in 2020, and I have been taking care of them, by that I mean, I have applied leather conditioner treatment twice, 6-months apart. So, they didn't really last any longer then the Brainwaves HM5 Sheepskin Leather Oval pads, for my JVC SZ1000E's, that I didn't take care of.

When I take a close look at the flaking pads, I can see how thin the leather material is, and I have to say, for such a highly rated set of pads, I am quite disappointed. Because V-Moda cans use a specialized diamond shaped design with those plastic snaps, that is the reason I think why there just isn't as much pad variety as their is for JVC's. If only Brainwaves made a pad design for V-Moda.

IDK, I am really getting the feeling that pads just don't last anymore, I am just not having any luck with them. So, long term longevity report on the Wicked Cushions pads for V-Moda headphones, your looking at a year, and thats with conditioning.
Keep in mind some conditioning products may actually not be as good for leather as you think. You may want to do some research and make sure that you use a leather conditioning product that is museum grade. Some leather artifacts can be very delicate and museums need to protect them. It is also somewhat dependent on the humidity in your space. If you wear them hours daily that is also going to have impact on longevity. I'm not an expert by any means. This is a product that could be worth trying. I used to manage a store in Ottawa and we sold their other products and customers loved them. https://claphams.com/product/leather-dressing/

This may also be a useful read https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/mhi/Appendix S.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #12,162 of 12,993
If the pads are truly leather and are paper thin that why they flaked That little bit of leather as nothing for it is soaking up leather conditioner. What happens when cheap paper sucks up water it tears apart as there is nothing to hold.

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #12,163 of 12,993
I wish I could get higher quality pads, but I don't think there are any available. WC is literally the best I've seen so far. Both the stock and XL VMODA pads suck in comparison to WC.

Thanks for the info guys. For clarification, I've been using the Honey leather conditioner, the oil based kind, not the creamy stuff. I should have a pic of the bottle uploaded on this site.

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #12,164 of 12,993

I don't use any kind of conditioner on them, since they're not actually genuine leather.
The original pad have not flaked its pleather finish and I got my v-moda since 2016.
Last year I bought the XL size pads and did the same thing - no conditioner whatsoever.
Stowing the cans:
A couple of old socks are balled together to fill the centre gap so as not to touch each other, I don't put them in a sealed container, just on my head board shelf.
When dust settles, I just brush them...

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #12,165 of 12,993
OK guys. I "think" I'm looking for a recommendation, but not sure. I've been using a Denon D7000, 5000, and 2000 for years. I love them so much that I also have new backup sets of both the 7000 and 5000 that are mint stored safely in their cases if one ever gives out. BUT! After all these years, I'm curious if there are any phones released that have better bass (impact and punch) as these size 50 drivers? I love them in the mids and highs as well, everything really. But Im still curious if there is now better? I've had LCD2 and was disappointed with the lack of physical punch and dynamics. I've had the TH900 and LOVED the bass, but the highs were simply too much to bear (and I've never been treble sensitive to much of anything until the TH900) So the LCD2 and TH900 were sold. Anything I should look for? Maybe a JVC HP-DX1000? Or what's new fellow bassheads!? Or do I still have the best?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back