The PENON official thread
Apr 9, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #8,356 of 13,534
@lucanato
I suppose that you have tried them with a balanced cable from a descent source.
They open up a lot.
Ehmmm never tried balanced actually I'm just at the beginning in the headphones hobby( but I'm a veteran in the hifi ). RecentIy listen so little the floor system and I'm always mire addicted to headphones, but want to stay walking with them or maximum in the sofa, not sitting on a chair in front of a table ( at least you need a recliner armchair I would like to see your set up in this sense :wink: )
So accept advices for good quality solutions with a little concession in mobility! Now I have fiio Kunlun, questyle M12, ibasso 03pro( but this one I don't like).
I also see that the most of you have portable player but I never considered them because I listen streaming from qobuz paying it annually but I never buy and store tracks! I'd like to know your approach about this.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #8,357 of 13,534
Ehmmm never tried balanced actually I'm just at the beginning in the headphones hobby( but I'm a veteran in the hifi ). RecentIy listen so little the floor system and I'm always mire addicted to headphones, but want to stay walking with them or maximum in the sofa, not sitting on a chair in front of a table ( at least you need a recliner armchair I would like to see your set up in this sense :wink: )
So accept advices for good quality solutions with a little concession in mobility! Now I have fiio Kunlun, questyle M12, ibasso 03pro( but this one I don't like).
I also see that the most of you have portable player but I never considered them because I listen streaming from qobuz paying it annually but I never buy and store tracks! I'd like to know your approach about this.
I use all my portable players for streaming Qobuz.
You don't have to download the tracks at the player.

Apr 9, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #8,359 of 13,534
I didn't know they could go in streaming mode! I always thought you all were downloading tracks in them. So which player do you advice me to begin ( one with balanced mode and qobuz ready)?
Most of the players are running Android OS so there are essentially just like a phone.
You download the Qobuz application and start steaming.
There are a few entry level options like the FiiO M11S, iBasso DX170, Shanling M3 Ultra etc
You can have a look at my reviews.

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #8,360 of 13,534
Most of the players are running Android OS so there are essentially just like a phone.
You download the Qobuz application and start steaming.
There are a few entry level options like the FiiO M11S, iBasso DX170, Shanling M3 Ultra etc
You can have a look at my reviews.
Has any of these a 3.5mmm spdif output to connect it with my deck DAC?
Has it have the shanling u5...

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #8,362 of 13,534
I'm a little late to the party on this one but here is my Vortex review. It's a great single DD and I hope to see Penon explore similar reaches in the future...!

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #8,363 of 13,534
Ehi guys big question: only for acoustic music, classical, cameristic, classical guitar and mandolin, and big symphonic orchestra, which do you prefer tansio Land or est50 or h50?

If this his the wrong thread I post it in the the tansio Land review.

For me fan2 is fun enough with electronic music, pop and also some jazz, bass are enough i, but I miss something with real sound of instruments, and I need an advice from someone who plays an acoustic instrument and have those iems, I need a good approximation of reality, speed, texture enough sense of metal in listening banjo for example. Fan2 can't reach it, me and a friend of mine think the est tweeter could be the solution, that's why I'm going toward land that's also as speed and dinamic highs ( two ba for lower highs instead of one that is in the est 50).

Could you, big reviewer :), help me?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #8,364 of 13,534
I'm a little late to the party on this one but here is my Vortex review. It's a great single DD and I hope to see Penon explore similar reaches in the future...!
Listening to britten violino concertos from fan2 to vortex, vortex is another world with classical music, the coherence, the real decay of strings chord, for me there is more connection with real instruments than all the ba iems that I had. Maybe this little gem deserve the best ampli and source you can give it, as someone had experienced in the forum. I totally disagree about saying vortex could be even minimally bright! You've your cable bright, change the cable and with vortex the highs could disappear! I tried 4 different cables, the more silver you have the more highs you got... Simple. Penon space is right, isn s2 too much, but sometimes I use a Chinese graphene cable to listen to bassy electronic music tracks that softened badly the highs and it was as the 1dd was another material , what does it mean? Transparency. I can expect this camaleontic transparency from an hybrid but not from 1 only dd. Trying the same cables on hzsound heart mirror you can't take off enough the highs or the harshness.

Yea the stage is not ( considering my cheap setup with medium/cheap dongles and single ended exit) as wide as in the fan2 but for classical music this is my best choice now.

And also I disagree with another point : vortex are not so fast, I think is more on the relaxed side, when I come from fan2 I have to push up the volume to pair to it,and to feel enough engaged, so is not so efficient, the transients and attacks are also slower ( as are when you are sitting in a concert hall a little distant), but if you push up the volume a little, than the bass wake up and the scene get fuller and with natural resonance and decay that at low listening level you miss. And here comes the Vortex effect, you are captured and you nerves de-stress and pure relaxing warm honey is entering in your ears.
As in a concert hall, you stay sitting, and details come without effort in your ears and nerves relax and hifi judgments stop.

I was so bewitched with feelings I had with vortex in classical music reproduction that when I bought a moondroop Kato on a lucky amazon discount day to test it famous reputation, I was horrified by the excess of highs that was screaming "listen to me" and I sent it back next day.

Also with vortex I have learned that I can't stand metallic iems ( Kato, oh10, tri i3 pro, imr ozar) ,metal keeps and sends you back your heat in the ear and for me is really unpleasant.

Good night!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #8,365 of 13,534
What we know so far
Compared to its previous offering, the latest tips offer Better sibilance control. The previous one (dark grey, orange stem) has had moderate success, The latest tip is a huge leap forward, also attracts dirt less due to the glossy dome finish. The inner shaft of the stem is matte finished, This pair grips very well on the nozzles.
The rest below...
IMG_E3324.JPG

As for the Space
IMG_E3175.JPG

With the Serials, this set reached modest end game level for analogue flavoured, huge holographic imaging, big bass, engaging mids, and detailed, under emphasised neutral top end - tuned for very long listening, pure entertainment - not dissecting sonic things.
IMG_E3223.JPG

Of course, the Space is not limited to the Serials,
Sphere Space
Orb space
FAN Space
Globe Space
Fan 2 Space
Serial Space
More Serial Space
Yet more Serial Space

With the Volts, we can confirm that this excellent In ear headphone is indeed warm-reference tune signature.
Expect not only macro details here, but any detail, including low level. Details that were only intended only for
studio sessions with regards to musicians' count and their cue in, cue out.
We can also forget dry desert spell here. Everything fluid and cohesive with excellent speed to boot.
1681110245970.png

With the Totem as the ultimate pair for the Volts, it would be hard pressed to justify such an expense. If one hobbyist can accept the cost of entry, ye shall be rewarded with a genuine end game totl flagship set.
However, we are presented with a more modest alternative - that brings out the very best, that gives off everything the Volts have to offer. There's load to offer, actually.
The Space does exactly that.
IMG_E3394.JPG

Dead Letter and the Infinite Yes - Single

Attachments

• IMG_E3223.JPG
    IMG_E3223.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #8,366 of 13,534

Wonderfully articulated review as always, @ian91
Your thoughts resonate very closely to what I feel about the brand as well as our shared tastes with our gears and expectations. Say have you match the Vortex with CEMA UP-OCC yet?

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #8,367 of 13,534
Penon Mix

Favourite cable for my Serial, no contest in cables really. Penon Serial is a slightly dark IEM and this opens it up while retaining the Serial's full sounding bass and mids. Perhaps pushing the sound more W shaped. If I compare it with other cables I do find it closer to a pure silver than a copper.

Also it looks DOPE, always been a fan of the mixed copper and silver look. Last photo is a 4.4mm 15cm extension adapter that I asked for, they made it for me for a small fee.

https://penonaudio.com/penon-mix.html

DSCF2246.jpg

DSCF2317 (Large).jpg

DSCF2316.jpg

DSCF2318.jpg

Also a track that is perfect to check out IEMs with, the natural tone of Penon Serial and Mix here is perfectionism.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #8,369 of 13,534
my suggestion to PENON is to add some form of locking mechanism for the modular plug.
it is not very secure as I have few cases of disconnection.
Had the same issue when it were new, asked Penon about it. I adjusted the plug so it could be inserted more, so now it never fall out. You can screw the cable part to adjust it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back