The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 25, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #11,491 of 12,992
SIVGA Phoenix

IMG-20200825-WA0000.jpg

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #11,492 of 12,992
OK guys, I wanted to give you an update on my V-Moda LP2 headphones, using the Wicked Cushions pads.

In my previous post, you learned that I did a leather conditioning treatment on the pads, and you got to see a picture of them after treatment.

After an impressive 9+ hour sleep, the pads got all that time to soak up the delicious conditioning oil. The result?

Holy cow! The pads are even squishier and softer then before! Like pillows for the ears, love it! :ksc75smile:

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #11,493 of 12,992
The Momentum 3 tuning has significantly more bass compared to the M2. There’s a ton of it, like rattle your jaw levels, and it is well controlled. I thought I would hate this when I first got it, but I guess I’m a bass-head now? Overall more of a dark signature compared to the M2 but I don’t mind.

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #11,494 of 12,992
So what is the endgame for extreme basshead headphones at this moment? I have the JVC HA sz2000, which if properly amped have unbelievable bass (if not properly amped, they sound like crap). But the JVC's are discontinued. And besides, aside from their basshead prowess they are really only "B" grade headphones. Are there headphones out there right now that have subwoofer-level bass delivery and also have a good overall sound signature?

This topic is hardly new in this forum, but I am wondering about peoples current thoughts.

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #11,495 of 12,992
After testing both the 5k and the btr5 I can say that overall I like the k5 more. The sound is slightly warmer but it really comes down to their app. I can add some bass by bumping the lower frequencies and the distortion is minimal. That being said I think it's not very powerful and this is a limitation of both these amp/dacs. They are too small to deliver some real power. I ended up getting the Ifi Hip Dac and it's simply on another league. I know it's not bluetooth but I thought I'd share the info for whoever might be interested in something without a bluetooth. The xbass feature is out of this world and the dac is on the warmer side. I own the Th-x00 MH.

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #11,496 of 12,992
No root access needed for Jetaudio at all. Also buy the DSP plugins as they are worth every penny.
hey can you elaborate? i got a ws1100is, and i just downloaded this app. are there easy settings for increasing the bass? i dont like adjusting equalizers theyre too complicated. i got rid of my portable amps.

prior to using this app, i was using VLC player app and it was always getting distorted when i messed with the eq. i turned up the 60hz to max on my samsung. and i was using an easy bass boost app but it ruined the sound signature of the headphones, im trying to maintain that but have alot of bass too.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #11,497 of 12,992
So what is the endgame for extreme basshead headphones at this moment? I have the JVC HA sz2000, which if properly amped have unbelievable bass (if not properly amped, they sound like crap). But the JVC's are discontinued. And besides, aside from their basshead prowess they are really only "B" grade headphones. Are there headphones out there right now that have subwoofer-level bass delivery and also have a good overall sound signature?

This topic is hardly new in this forum, but I am wondering about peoples current thoughts.
this isnt answering your question, but i got x2hrs and i find it overrated. i wish i just bought shp9500

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #11,498 of 12,992
Its easy to cause distortion, when using software EQ. This is because most people's computer lack a proper hardware sound card, and they are using the CPU to do the processing, and built in sound, doesn't allow for much amplification, especially if your volume is already up on the PC. The best you can do, is drop the gain down in the negative range in your software EQ, while you raze the frequency that you are trying to adjust. This will try to prevent distortion and especially crackle.

I had already gone through this battle in the very beginning of my EQ journey, it didn't take me long to realize that it wasn't going to work, using software EQ. And then when I switched to Linux, well, there is no proper and good software EQ for Linux that actually works properly. So thats when I purchased my vintage Realistic 12-band hardware equalizer box, and I never looked back since. You still got to keep the EQ gain down in the negative, but you can raze frequencies pretty well, without worrying much about distortion, as long as the cans can handle the amount of EQ your delivering into them.
11256202.jpg

Aug 31, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #11,499 of 12,992
Its easy to cause distortion, when using software EQ. This is because most people's computer lack a proper hardware sound card, and they are using the CPU to do the processing, and built in sound, doesn't allow for much amplification, especially if your volume is already up on the PC. The best you can do, is drop the gain down in the negative range in your software EQ, while you raze the frequency that you are trying to adjust. This will try to prevent distortion and especially crackle.

I had already gone through this battle in the very beginning of my EQ journey, it didn't take me long to realize that it wasn't going to work, using software EQ. And then when I switched to Linux, well, there is no proper and good software EQ for Linux that actually works properly. So thats when I purchased my vintage Realistic 12-band hardware equalizer box, and I never looked back since. You still got to keep the EQ gain down in the negative, but you can raze frequencies pretty well, without worrying much about distortion, as long as the cans can handle the amount of EQ your delivering into them.
11256202.jpg

I have zero issues using software EQ exclusively. Just like most people in this hobby, I don't use my PC's soundcard. We're using an external DAC via optical or USB.

Aug 31, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #11,500 of 12,992

11256202.jpg

I agree with you on Linux. Gave that up 2 years ago. I gave up my hardware EQ (a Soundcraftsman 22**), about 42 years ago because it wasn't transparent enough. I use Tidal hi res -> UAPP -> Toneboosters EQ -> Gumby DAC, and its transparent even if I run a -7 db 1/2 an octave away from a +6.5 db which with my prior EQ would have been very audible, and my system now is much more revealing than back then.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #11,501 of 12,992
All EQ on a PC is done in software, regardless of having a fancy soundcard or not. Whether or not clipping occurs when you add gain via EQ without providing an overall amount of attenuation depends on the specific software implementation (if the software developer gave themselves any audio headroom to begin with). Due to the effects of phase on some EQs, when you add say +6dB of bass boost, you may actually get peaks slightly higher than +6dB, so you should probably add about -10dB of attenuation. You don't want to add too much attenuation because then you start impacting the signal to noise ratio of your signal chain.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #11,503 of 12,992
hey can you elaborate? i got a ws1100is, and i just downloaded this app. are there easy settings for increasing the bass? i dont like adjusting equalizers theyre too complicated. i got rid of my portable amps.

prior to using this app, i was using VLC player app and it was always getting distorted when i messed with the eq. i turned up the 60hz to max on my samsung. and i was using an easy bass boost app but it ruined the sound signature of the headphones, im trying to maintain that but have alot of bass too.

In Android, get the Jetaudio Plus, get the plugins which cost about 3-5 dollars.

The plugins are Jetaudio Sound effects and AM3D.

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #11,504 of 12,992
The way I have my system setup right now, is everything that is sourced into the TV, gets sent out to the DAC via optical. When it comes to my computer, that signal is sent to the TV via HDMI, so it is a digital signal. I suppose, if I wanted to get a higher sample rate then 48HZ, I could hook up a separate USB cable from my computer to the DAC, but it would have to be long enough to reach. Then all I would have to do, is use the remote to change inputs.

But even still, the sound I am getting already sounds amazing. Its because I am not trying to use the computer to do the amping. I got the DAC running a 2-volt RMS line level through RCA to the EQ box, and from there it enters my amp, and its the one doing the primary amping. You got to remember, there is a lot of new folks coming onto this forum who don't know how to do this stuff and are asking for help. While most of you do know all this stuff, not everybody does. So thats why I try to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back