The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Sep 28, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #11,521 of 12,993
Out of pretty much every headphone I've tried (which is most $1k+ headphones on the market within the last 5 or 10 years), my vote is for a modded TH-900 or modded HE6/se (any variant, just mod properly and per taste). Sorry master Japanese craftsman who worked super hard on the cups + finish - but the mods are needed b/c the sound signature is really annoying otherwise. For HE6/se, in my experience, you need at least 4W into 50ohm or else it's not worth it - just buy the TH-900 instead. Ideally you have even more, but use a pre-amp and a voltage divider of some sort so you don't blow anything up or catch anything on fire, etc. Do not attempt if you are not familiar with the technical requirements / safety or if what I'm saying doesn't make sense.

Sep 28, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #11,522 of 12,993
What particular mods are you talking about?

Sep 28, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #11,523 of 12,993
Campfire Cascade and TH900/600 would be my vote, Properly amplified they really kick while the Sony seem more midbassy.

Some Ultrasone can also kick when necessary especially the Sig DJ.

The Campfire Atlas are a good choice if you are after IEMs.

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #11,524 of 12,993
All of the following headphones have very good bass presentations, so I will sort them based on their differences -

If you want great sub-bass rumble with a healthy mid-bass hump, and you're a fan of a "v-shaped" sound, go for the Fostex TH900 Mk2.

If you want a low-end presence that is slightly elevated in both sub and mid-bass, but has excellent texture, layering and control, try the Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation), the Denon AH-D9200, the Sony MDR-Z1R, and/or the ZMF Vérité Closed.

If you want very strong mid-bass, typical of a bass cannon, try the Campfire Audio Cascade or the Klipsch Heritage HP-3.
Don't you mean Denon AH-D7200?? It surely hits harder in the bass. Or are you accounting for equalization capabilities?

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #11,526 of 12,993
Look up "modding HE6" or "modding HE6se" here or elsewhere (ex: the LFF Code 6 is a modded HE6).

I actually have looked up Fostex mods and there is a whole industry for this, apparently. Lawton Studio, etc. More than I want to deal with in the near future. But certainly fascinating.

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #11,527 of 12,993
For the record, the Fostex chassis (which started with Denon who Foster built the D2000, D5000 and D7000 for), spun off with a couple of other brands all based on the same chassis, and has companies that were spurred for the plethora of modifications, most notably Mark Lawton (Lawton audio). He has the damping kits as well as cabling options and cup choices that will make your head spin and mouth drool. www.lawtonaudio.com - then there are other home-based guys that make cups primarily (I have a pair of SE Asia Teak cups on my LA7000 that are deeper than stock and are not only gorgeous to look at, the added bass they allow is mind blowing. Just look at his website and the wood choices..............incredible and Mark is a master.

The HE-6 family from HiFiMan mods typically are done as a DYI option - I've done all the mods to my first HE-6 and HE-400 (bluetack mod, grill mod, cable changes, Audeze Vegan pads, comfort strap by member Lohb, etc.). They also apply to the HE-500 which owners of think may be the best of the early HE family - I haven't hear that particular model but the HE-400, which I own and have done every mod to, and the HE-6 (owned two of them and now own the HE-6SE) take extremely well to the mods.

It's been fun to be part of the mod group and have done most myself.

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #11,528 of 12,993
Ok, I went ahead and splurged on the LSA-HP2, a U.S. rebranded version of the Kennerton Gjallahorn, a Russian product. $799 delivered. They just arrived via FedEx.
EXCELLENT headphones with good, solid, deep bass, great sub bass. I have only listened with them a short time, but they are a real steal for the price.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #11,529 of 12,993
Ok, I went ahead and splurged on the LSA-HP2, a U.S. rebranded version of the Kennerton Gjallahorn, a Russian product. $799 delivered. They just arrived via FedEx.
EXCELLENT headphones with good, solid, deep bass, great sub bass. I have only listened with them a short time, but they are a real steal for the price.

Let me add that this is a headphone for people (like me) who don't understand the allure of the Grand Unboxing Experience. These come in a very nice leather carrying case but really, no box at all and no accessories. I paid for headphones and a case, period. Good!

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #11,530 of 12,993
Let me add that this is a headphone for people (like me) who don't understand the allure of the Grand Unboxing Experience. These come in a very nice leather carrying case but really, no box at all and no accessories. I paid for headphones and a case, period. Good!

What I like the most about the headphone is how good it is all around. Lightweight, good sound isolation, open-sounding for a closed-back, being able to power off your phone without a DAC. You can switch to more acoustic/vocal music and enjoy the clarity without it being boomy, then back to aggressive electronic and the low end returns. The low end doesn't take away from the rest of the frequencies and vice-versa. It is kind of like multiple headphones in one.

Oct 3, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #11,531 of 12,993

If you pay a premium, you will get premium. The premium headphones don't usually come with accessories, because they assume as an audiophile, you have them already. And trust me when I say, you would probably want to use your accessories over whatever cheap crap they could include in their kit. Now, with V-Moda, they assume that people won't have their own accessories quite yet, as they are a DJ headphone. I would not call the LP2's a premium product, you can get them for around 100 afterall. But I will say this, they sure do sound amazing for what they are! Anyways, enjoy your new headphones, they will probably get better after burn in.

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #11,532 of 12,993
I wrote a reply to the previous comment and then realized I misunderstood the post. Then I realized I don't know how to remove a post. Anyway, the Russian Kennerton (Fischer) headphones seem quite good, and some of them are pricey.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #11,533 of 12,993
I would like to give a shoutout to the Oriolus MKII (or Reborn). Probably one of the most balanced sounds out there while maintaining a strong bass.

Oct 6, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #11,534 of 12,993
Don't you mean Denon AH-D7200?? It surely hits harder in the bass. Or are you accounting for equalization capabilities?

You Sir are correct D7200 has more bass, but 9200 to my ears has better texture, control and details while still preserving a ridiculous amount. I would also add B&W P9s, Clears and LCD-Xs to this list. The Clears don't have as much as the other Cans listed, but the quality is so yummy. I would remove the Z1Rs - they don't compete in the bass quantity department and the quality is only ok.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #11,535 of 12,993
Sorry, I must have missed this.

The AH-D7200 has a touch more bass presence, but its bigger brother, the AH-D9200, has the edge in sheer technical refinement. When I compared the 2 together, I preferred the slightly more nuanced bass section of the AH-D9200; it allows the great layering and texture of the lows to be displayed in full view. It has one of the best bass presentations around, IMO.

Of course, the AH-D9200 is also the better headphone in general, with improved resolution and treble detail. With that in mind, I'd vote for the AH-D9200 as a top candidate on a "Best Headphone for Bass Lovers" list. It's not a bass monster, no, but, to describe its bass prowess succinctly, the AH-D9200 knows what to do, when to show it, and how to present it. Truly fantastic. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back