The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #11,461 of 12,993
Sorry for the late reply. I had to dig my XB300 and XB500 out; they have been in storage all this while.

Here's the XB300, XB500, XB700, and the XB1000 -

Sony XB Family.jpg

Except for the pads on my XB300, which are flaking quite badly, the ones on the 3 bigger brothers are in great condition. :)

Wow those 1000s are comical, can't imagine wearing them. Thanks for taking the picture.

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #11,462 of 12,993
Hey, nice, a good budget basshead can. Sure, I'll be glad to put them on the list. :)

How do they compare with your other headphones?

Well the burn in Is ended and I may say the sound open nicely.
It's a comfortable cans, very good cuscions.

About the sound It is only comparable with the Meze 99, very similar frequency curve response, obviously not the same detail or airy, middle and high are present, not piercing but are a little grainy.
The bass are powerfull, tounderous, solid, just a hint more sub bass then the Meze, I've tried them with bass boosted tracks for car and them was very impressive. :L3000: :gs1000smile:

Complessive sound is more then acceptable for the price and better then I could hope with every kind of music.
Same general quality like as Superlux/Samson but closed back and....more more more bass.

Really very good for basshead on budget, absolutely not for audiophile.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #11,463 of 12,993
Well I have to say the abyss tcs I got yesterday are just stupid with bass. Roy Rosenfeld and Nora En Pure have never sounded so good. I still prefer the MDR-Z1R though. 15967323043062676984676951088448.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #11,464 of 12,993
Are you talking about the JVC's? Given what you say I don't think you would like them. They are, as the song goes, "all about the bass," and that emerges with a bit of EQ and a lot of amp power. Like I said, it remains a strange mystery of history why JVC designed those headphones the way they did. You can use them out of a phone or any small DAP, but the bass is nothing special that way. Even my supposedly "great" Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp could not coax the big bass explosion from these cans. It takes some real power, but once the beast is awakened, watch out!!. But these are not balanced or signature neutral headphones. The mids are thin and the treble is not so great. It's for bassheads who want the bass, pretty much.

The Sennheiser HD600 is not any kind of basshead headphone, even with a high quality amp. Great headphones, but not basshead material, in my opinion, anyway.

If you want both BIG BASS and also a high-quality, reasonably balanced, high-performing headphone, you will need to spend a lot more than the JVC's sold for (originally, it wasn't much). I am sure some other people will have suggestions. The Sony MDR-Z1R have a lot of bass, but it seems to have a polarizing sound signature overall. They cost $1800 these days. I know some high-end planars, like from Audeze, have excellent bass, and also ZMF Eikon or some of the other ZMF headphones.

Doug Greenberg
Actually I quite like my 600 for the bass.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #11,465 of 12,993
Actually I quite like my 600 for the bass.

I always have thought that pleasing bass is not the same as "basshead." I know we are struggling to find an agreed-upon definition of "basshead," but to me the term implies affection for powerful, in-your-face bass (especially sub bass), with rumble, slam, etc., the kind of bass that comprises a major constituent aspect of certain musical genres like dubstep, hip-hop, drum 'n bass, and some kinds of EDM. Listening to say, classical music with a "basshead" iem can be an unpleasant experience. That's why most of us have multiple headphones/IEMs with different sound signatures.

But of course, each of us will have his/her own concept of basshead.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #11,466 of 12,993
I always have thought that pleasing bass is not the same as "basshead." I know we are struggling to find an agreed-upon definition of "basshead," but to me the term implies affection for powerful, in-your-face bass (especially sub bass), with rumble, slam, etc., the kind of bass that comprises a major constituent aspect of certain musical genres like dubstep, hip-hop, drum 'n bass, and some kinds of EDM. Listening to say, classical music with a "basshead" iem can be an unpleasant experience. That's why most of us have multiple headphones/IEMs with different sound signatures.

Present and enjoyable bass isn't basshead level bass in my book either. That level of bass must be visceral. I am old old school car audio guy and before I call a can or IEM basshead certified it needs to be felt as much as heard. And not that fart can muddy bass either, clean slamming sub bass. But as you said, each of us has our own concept of the term.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #11,467 of 12,993
Wow those 1000s are comical, can't imagine wearing them. Thanks for taking the picture.
You're welcome. Yeah, the XB1000 is huge, there's no going around that; I won't be bringing it out anytime soon, that's for sure.

With that said, if you want a nice, ear massage, these cans are for you. Plus, they are supremely comfortable - they are light, and those pillow pads are awesome.

Great picture...............back a few years those were THE basshead headphones. Had the 500 and 700 at one point.
Yeah, I've been in this thread for many years now. Back then, these were indeed the go-to headphones for any basshead. Not only did they produce massive lows, but the design is remarkably attractive. I wish Sony would revisit the XB line with the same form factor in the future - cheap, bass-heavy headphones for the everyday basshead.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #11,468 of 12,993
Well the burn in Is ended and I may say the sound open nicely.
It's a comfortable cans, very good cuscions.

About the sound It is only comparable with the Meze 99, very similar frequency curve response, obviously not the same detail or airy, middle and high are present, not piercing but are a little grainy.
The bass are powerfull, tounderous, solid, just a hint more sub bass then the Meze, I've tried them with bass boosted tracks for car and them was very impressive. :L3000: :gs1000smile:

Complessive sound is more then acceptable for the price and better then I could hope with every kind of music.
Same general quality like as Superlux/Samson but closed back and....more more more bass.

Really very good for basshead on budget, absolutely not for audiophile.
Well, for something that costs a fraction of the 99 Classics, they sound like a good option for a sub-$50 basshead can. Enjoy!

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #11,469 of 12,993

For me, the moniker, 'basshead', is simply an umbrella term that includes anyone that enjoys bass. There are those that enjoy quality bass, whilst others need something more tangible.. more visceral. I'm more of the latter, but I appreciate the former, too. That's why my headphones run the gamut between quality, controlled lows and the all-out bass cannons, and dozens of variations in between.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #11,470 of 12,993
This thread has morphed from Hawaii Bad Boy's intention of EXTREME basshead to very closely resemble the old thread (think it was called the basshead club or some derivative of that), which is fine with me. If Chris (HBB) was here (looks like he was banned based on looking at post 1 under his name) he'd be very disappointed in all of us.................but such is life.

I guess I'm an audiophile basshead - love my bass (have 6 subs in my house in various audio/TV systems) but love great quality sound all around. All my headphones are capable of outstanding bass when fed right - and for my preference it's almost always out of the speaker taps of a vintage speaker amp.

What is true of all of us is we do love BASS...............

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #11,471 of 12,993
Present and enjoyable bass isn't basshead level bass in my book either. That level of bass must be visceral. I am old old school car audio guy and before I call a can or IEM basshead certified it needs to be felt as much as heard. And not that fart can muddy bass either, clean slamming sub bass. But as you said, each of us has our own concept of the term.
For me, the moniker, 'basshead', is simply an umbrella term that includes anyone that enjoys bass. There are those that enjoy quality bass, whilst others need something more tangible.. more visceral. I'm more of the latter, but I appreciate the former, too. That's why my headphones run the gamut between quality, controlled lows and the all-out bass cannons, and dozens of variations in between.

All this are true.
Every music genre needs appropriate intruments to reproduce them at Is best and not only to emulate the reality, you will tough to an orchestra timpanos or sub bass resonance of the arcs section really deep in your stomac, but to reproduced electric and electronic sound as intended by the artists, or as mastered in studio.
Multiple cans or different speakers are needed to do this.
Don't exist the perfect one.
And more anyone has his personal taste when ear the music.

As example I matured my personal taste and refined my capacity to judge an hi fi system years by years earing a lot of different system, ss, MOSFET, valvestate and I love a lot of them but now I have single ended triode valvestate.

I know it isn't perfect but enjoy the music It reproduced and I play guitars, before with valvestate amplifier now with SS.

Same things with the cans.

I perfectly understand when all you speak about same kind of cans that play very very well, the perfect bass for me are deep and thight and the rest of the frequency have to be present, clear and refined but the fun and the emotions is important too.

A very basshead can must rumble deep and hard as possibile.:darthsmile:

(I hope you understand my english too) :))

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #11,472 of 12,993

I know you've made posts and posts about the WP900, lauding its signature. To be specific - how would you describe its bass? Does it lean more towards quality vs. quantity? Or does it have it in equal amounts?

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #11,473 of 12,993
This thread has morphed from Hawaii Bad Boy's intention of EXTREME basshead to very closely resemble the old thread (think it was called the basshead club or some derivative of that), which is fine with me. If Chris (HBB) was here (looks like he was banned based on looking at post 1 under his name) he'd be very disappointed in all of us.................but such is life.

I guess I'm an audiophile basshead - love my bass (have 6 subs in my house in various audio/TV systems) but love great quality sound all around. All my headphones are capable of outstanding bass when fed right - and for my preference it's almost always out of the speaker taps of a vintage speaker amp.

What is true of all of us is we do love BASS...............
Oh yeah, the old "Basshead Club". That was where I started my journey on Head-Fi, 9 years ago. And look where we are now - another bass-themed thread. Once a basshead, always a basshead, I suppose. :L3000:

Like you, I would consider myself an 'audiophile basshead'. I didn't start out as one, though. In the beginning, I craved a lot of bass - slam, impact, rumble, +10-15 db of mid-bass boost. That was what I wanted (or needed) at that point in time. I bought a lot of the bass cannons then - the XB series, the PRO700MK2, the Crossfade LP and LP2, and a variety of other headphones.

Over the years, however, I have grown to favor a more nuanced take on the basshead headphone; less pronounced lows in favor of a higher-quality bass presentation. I still need that sizeable rumble every now and then, but my preferences have certainly matured.

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #11,474 of 12,993
All this are true.
Every music genre needs appropriate intruments to reproduce them at Is best and not only to emulate the reality, you will tough to an orchestra timpanos or sub bass resonance of the arcs section really deep in your stomac, but to reproduced electric and electronic sound as intended by the artists, or as mastered in studio.
Multiple cans or different speakers are needed to do this.
Don't exist the perfect one.
And more anyone has his personal taste when ear the music.

As example I matured my personal taste and refined my capacity to judge an hi fi system years by years earing a lot of different system, ss, MOSFET, valvestate and I love a lot of them but now I have single ended triode valvestate.

I know it isn't perfect but enjoy the music It reproduced and I play guitars, before with valvestate amplifier now with SS.

Same things with the cans.

I perfectly understand when all you speak about same kind of cans that play very very well, the perfect bass for me are deep and thight and the rest of the frequency have to be present, clear and refined but the fun and the emotions is important too.

A very basshead can must rumble deep and hard as possibile.:darthsmile:

(I hope you understand my english too) :))
For me, I enjoy bass on several levels - the huge bass-cannon type, but also well-textured, quality bass. There really isn't one all-conquering headphone that provides the perfect type of bass - a particular headphone may be excellent, but too much of a good thing can be a drag, at times. Hence, I have a collection of headphones with varying bass presentations. Sometimes, I need rattles my ear (or skull); other times, I'd like a less-heavy presence, something subdued, yet great in texture.

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #11,475 of 12,993
I know you've made posts and posts about the WP900, lauding its signature. To be specific - how would you describe its bass? Does it lean more towards quality vs. quantity? Or does it have it in equal amounts?
I wouldn't say that the bass on the WP900 is excessive; the mid-bass is certainly boosted, but I'd refrain from labelling it as a bass-heavy can. You still get a decent amount of slam, with very good layering. It has a good level of decay, so beats are fast and punchy. On the strength of its lows alone, the WP900 is perfect for people who want a bass profile that is north of neutral, but yet well-controlled, with good technicalities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back