The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 29, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #11,431 of 12,991
The Fiio A3, is enough amp to bring any IEM to life. IEM's are usually 10mm drivers or bellow, so they don't take much. You can get the Fiio A3 for only 60 bucks, so its an affordable options for wired IEM's. If your getting a pair of ON EAR headphones, the Fiio A5 will be usually be enough power for 40mm drivers or bellow. If your getting OVER EAR headphones that are 45mm drivers or larger, you should consider a desktop amp of like the Shiit Magni 3, S.M.S.L SP200, or some other desktop amp that puts out at least a minimum of 2-watts per channel or better rating.

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #11,432 of 12,991
Personally, my champ for budget bass is the Sony MDR XB950 series. get the xb950B1/N1 if you don't want to spend on an amp, or the wired if you have an amp. you can get them for well below $50 if you look at used options.
For me, these beat out the taction kannon, Skullcandy crusher wireless, 1st gen Beats studio, oneodio Pro, plantronics backbeat pro, beyerdynamic COPS, Crossfade LP1, 1more Triple Driver over ear, Sennheiser HD 4.50 BT to get to the first slot
The XB950 reminds me of the older XB500 and XB700. Although, I think that these predecessor models were even heavier in the bass.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #11,433 of 12,991
..., you should consider a desktop amp of like the Shiit Magni 3, S.M.S.L SP200, or some other desktop amp that puts out at least a minimum of 2-watts per channel or better rating.
Good suggestions. There's more to consider beyond the power though, due to the wide range of design choices when it comes to amps.

For example, some have a bypass capacitor that blocks any DC signal from damaging the drivers, but this will also roll off some bass. I've noticed something to look for with SS amps is a design with no caps in the output signal path, and many amps instead block the DC using something like a servo in the output circuit.

For tube, look for output impedance matching as close to the driver impedance as possible (this is usually most feasible to achieve with OTL tube amps and high Z cans). Then you start really getting frequency responses from the amp start getting down to <20 Hz and that desirable 'transparent' yet deep bass.

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #11,434 of 12,991
Well, do I ever have quite the surprise for you folks out there. Look what I just bought...
Screenshot_2020-07-29_13-33-34.jpg

Ohhhhhh, I'm quite afraid, I will have HIGH resolution sound, by the time the band plays. HEHE

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #11,435 of 12,991
Congrats on your purchase!

I received my ifi micro idsd black label today. After scratching my head a bit regarding getting it set up properly (finally figured things out) I have played a few tracks using my Philips Fidelio X2 headphones, not big bass hitters. That will come later. Nice sound, of course, and lot of power. Will figure out the various buttons and switches in due time.

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, CA

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #11,436 of 12,991
Congrats on your purchase!

I received my ifi micro idsd black label today. After scratching my head a bit regarding getting it set up properly (finally figured things out) I have played a few tracks using my Philips Fidelio X2 headphones, not big bass hitters. That will come later. Nice sound, of course, and lot of power. Will figure out the various buttons and switches in due time.

Thanks, I can't wait till it gets here! Its time to retire the Fiio D3, and to make way, for the S.M.S.L M200!

Well, that is nothing short of awesomeness! Yep, DAC's are more complex then AMP's. They got different modes. My recommendation is to read up on your DAC, so that you can set it up exactly how you want it, if you haven't done that already that is. DAC's have a greater job then AMP's. An amp is just really required to amplify, and the more neutral and clean the amp is, the better. A DAC is responsible for taking the delicious digital signal, and convert it to analog, while in keeping with high resolution sound with preferably 0 noise floor.

Typically, when plugging into a 3.5mm analog jack, you will hear considerable noise floor, add to that, its low resolution sound, no better then 16-bit at best. These modern DAC's can push a sample rate of 192KHZ, with a bitrate of 32-bit. I think your going to be happy with your DAC, heck, OldDude swears by it, so its gotta be good.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #11,437 of 12,991
I have a pair of the well-known JVC SZ-2000 headphones, which I bought what, five years ago because I wanted to experience the biggest sub bass slam possible. I like them, but I confess that the "bass cannon" aspect of them has not been realized to my ears. Like, these are ok, but what is all the raving about?" I have read that these really need good amplification to get the sub woofer driver going. I do not own an appropriate amp, I am sure. What amp(s) match well with these headphones to bring out the legendary levels of low bass?

As a related (sort of) question, now that this headphone is discontinued (so I have read), what do people consider the numero uno bass cannon headphone currently, and is there a bass-rich headphone that would respond well to a moderate quality DAC/amp like the ifi micro black label?

Ok, I got the ifi micro idsd black label and got it set up. Today I tried the JVC SZ-2000 headphones with the new DAC amp. Here's the deal: if you set the amp to "Turbo" the headphones transform in terms of low bass response. The difference even between "normal" and "turbo" is dramatic. I did not even need to flip the "xbass" switch to bring out the subwoofer performance. I did EQ the bass upwards like people recommended. But not all that much.

I am convinced. But now I am wondering, what is the deal here? What were the engineers thinking with this design? Usually there are aspects of headphone performance that "scale up," but this is quite something. Anyone who does not have a pretty powerful amp will never experience what these drivers can do. Like I said, the Cavalli Liquid Carbon did not do much with these headphones. More power was needed.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #11,438 of 12,991
Ok, I got the ifi micro idsd black label and got it set up. Today I tried the JVC SZ-2000 headphones with the new DAC amp. Here's the deal: if you set the amp to "Turbo" the headphones transform in terms of low bass response. The difference even between "normal" and "turbo" is dramatic. I did not even need to flip the "xbass" switch to bring out the subwoofer performance. I did EQ the bass upwards like people recommended. But not all that much.

I am convinced. But now I am wondering, what is the deal here? What were the engineers thinking with this design? Usually there are aspects of headphone performance that "scale up," but this is quite something. Anyone who does not have a pretty powerful amp will never experience what these drivers can do. Like I said, the Cavalli Liquid Carbon did not do much with these headphones. More power was needed.

Correct!

The JVC SZ 1000's require at least 1-watt to achieve bass perfection.

The JVC SZ 2000's require at least 1.5-watt to 2-watts, in order to achieve perfection.

In most cases, when people were deciding to buy from the JVC SZ series, they weren't doing it on a whim. They were following this sites recommendations, and thats how they got turned on to them. And just as you know, we always instruct proper amping and EQ, to achieve best results. Those who choose not to listen to us, are greatly dissapointed in the cans. But like I said, most people wouldn't have been buying them, if they didn't find out about them on this site first. They weren't exactly marketed properly in the US market by Japan, so ya.

I am happy to hear that you are getting some satisfaction, with Kelton Nano Tube driver perfection. Congrats, and enjoy. Please be aware however, another very popular thing about these cans, is the hinge will eventually snap. Yes, its an absolute certainty, happens to all of us, it was an engineering flaw in the headband design.

But here's the good news. Because of your excellent efforts at getting an awesome setup going, you are ready for just about any headphone that you should choose to purchase in the future. So again, congrats, and good luck!

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #11,439 of 12,991
This is such a common scenario but people are still living in denial. Some headphones really need enough quality power or they will not reach even close to their potential. Glad you guys resolved it in your case!

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #11,440 of 12,991
Don't wanna skip through 763 pages but what are the hardest hitting but overall good headphones now?

Searching for techno headphones. Best i've heard so far are the Anandas.

Should be stock and widely available too so please no discontinued or selfmade modded headphones. And no only bass and suck at everything else like Sony MDR-Z7.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #11,441 of 12,991
Kennerton Gjallarhorn(closed back) is one and another two are Fostex TH909(open back) or TH900(closed). You didn’t specify a price. My favorite of the three is TH909.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #11,442 of 12,991
Kennerton Gjallarhorn(closed back) is one and another two are Fostex TH909(open back) or TH900(closed). You didn’t specify a price. My favorite of the three is TH909.
Price doesn't matter that much but under 2k would be welcoming. Had the TH900 and sadly didn't like it because it had an overall artificial tuning to it.

TH900 was a bit too bright for me. Headphone should be a bit more dark, like a dark techno bunker.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #11,444 of 12,991
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that my S.M.S.L M200 DAC came in the mail, and wanted to let you guys know that I have written up a general review of how I like it.
S.M.S.L M200 DAC Review With Pictures!

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #11,445 of 12,991
Wait, the Gjallarhorn needs even less power than a TH900 (which is the most sensitive headphone i had so far)? Think that thing explodes when i hook it on my amp.

That is interesting, as one of the previous "champions" of bass, the JVC HA-sz2000, required pretty strong amplification power to bring out its bass monster.
The Gjallarhorns look very cool.

Doug Greenberg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back