The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 12, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #10,741 of 12,993
Mar 12, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #10,742 of 12,993
I'd be interested in the basshead game again if there was a open back headphone that rocked my dome. Right now I'm getting good slam out of my modded M1060 with a 12db boost on the lows.

Disclaimer - they are not JVC SZ level slam but both the Klipsch HP-3 and Pioneer SE Master 1 are outstanding OPEN BACK headphones that have full range awesomeness that handle bass extremely well and thump hard. Own them both along with a Denon LA7000 (older brother of the Fostex TH900) and all three scratch my basshead itch (audiophile basshead).

Of course, the best I've owned (OPEN BACK) was the HE-6 fed direct from speaker taps from a 250wpc Pioneer Spec 2 amp.................and the newer version, the HE-6SE should match it's thump.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #10,743 of 12,993
Disclaimer - they are not JVC SZ level slam but both the Klipsch HP-3 and Pioneer SE Master 1 are outstanding OPEN BACK headphones that have full range awesomeness that handle bass extremely well and thump hard. Own them both along with a Denon LA7000 (older brother of the Fostex TH900) and all three scratch my basshead itch (audiophile basshead).

Of course, the best I've owned (OPEN BACK) was the HE-6 fed direct from speaker taps from a 250wpc Pioneer Spec 2 amp.................and the newer version, the HE-6SE should match it's thump.

I get a damn good slam from my modded M1060 using my Emotiva A-100 with the jumpers installed, which is a total investment of around $700 or so. I could maybe see me springing for a used Klipsch in the future, but I'm just never going to spend $2500 on headphones, so unfortunately the Pioneers aren't a possibility for me. Thanks for the info though, I'll read up on those Klipsch.

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #10,744 of 12,993
Wow I don't think I've logged in to this site in over 10 years. Scary how quickly we lose track of time.. and how old I'm getting. From being a young adult to now edging closer to midlife.

Anyway, I need some help. I'm after some bassy headphones after using some rather boring 598s for the past few years. The problem is a lot of the headphones people suggest are too expensive to get in the UK, they might be reasonably priced when buying in the US, but not so much in the UK. So I'm looking for something I can get in the UK if possible. Another thing is, I can't do faux leather pads. The last time I used headphones with faux leather pads I got contact dermatitis and ended up in the hospital as I thought something else was going on. So I'll be needing something with velour pads or able to buy velour pads & fit them easily.

I wouldn't like to spend more than £200 ($262) on the headphones.

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #10,745 of 12,993
Wow I don't think I've logged in to this site in over 10 years. Scary how quickly we lose track of time.. and how old I'm getting. From being a young adult to now edging closer to midlife.

Anyway, I need some help. I'm after some bassy headphones after using some rather boring 598s for the past few years. The problem is a lot of the headphones people suggest are too expensive to get in the UK, they might be reasonably priced when buying in the US, but not so much in the UK. So I'm looking for something I can get in the UK if possible. Another thing is, I can't do faux leather pads. The last time I used headphones with faux leather pads I got contact dermatitis and ended up in the hospital as I thought something else was going on. So I'll be needing something with velour pads or able to buy velour pads & fit them easily.

You can probably pick up a Sony MDR-1A and put some kind of pads on 'em from Brainwaves or Dekoni. Otherwise I would've just recommended the V-Moda M100 with XL Pads - someone did a crazy mod where they put some Beyer pads on them, so it is possible...

Doesn't look like anyone is doing a nice deal on them ATM though. Gear4music, dv47 and bax all have it at normal price ATM =/
I've seen it go for £168. Sony's are much cheaper - just don't have as much EQ potential. Still very fun.

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #10,746 of 12,993

i got the ws1100is for $129 usd, but it sold for up to $220 on amazon. you will also need to buy a headband cover because the leather or whatever wears off easy. it has a detachable cable as well that doesnt screw in which i dont know what hte point of the screw in ones are. this is called a closed heaphone but its semi open, however when im sitting next to people with the music probably just loud enough for hearing damage, no one says anything. its too sibilant sometimes, and mine has popping sounds like electricity not sure if its the headphone or the player i can get back to you on that one.

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #10,747 of 12,993
Does anyone else find the bass on a lot of headphones to be increased when you lift them off your ears slightly?

The Abyss is known for it's bass and hits hardest when you lift them off your ears at the right distance/angle

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #10,748 of 12,993
Anything with really good bass under US$150?
At first i was procuring the DonScorpio Drama's because i saw it being mentioned on a list, but after asking around i came up with a little list with the recommendations i received or found out myself:
1- DonScorpio Drama
2- M&O Beryllium
3- SoundMagic HP151
4- Audio Technica ATH WS99
5- Fostex T20RP
6- Fostex T40RP
7- Feenix Aria/Yoga CD-2500 (which i can't find anywhere)
8- Corsair Void Stereo/Void Pro 7.1 (which i highly doubt is any good, but a sugestion is sugestion, specially because i never listened to it)

Anything else i should look for? Which one would you guys pick?

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #10,749 of 12,993
I am grateful to read a thread about heavy bass and headphones and not see the Beats Studio headphones on the list :D.

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #10,750 of 12,993
At first i was procuring the DonScorpio Drama's because i saw it being mentioned on a list, but after asking around i came up with a little list with the recommendations i received or found out myself:
1- DonScorpio Drama
2- M&O Beryllium
3- SoundMagic HP151
5- Fostex T20RP
6- Fostex T40RP
8- Corsair Void Stereo/Void Pro 7.1 (which i highly doubt is any good, but a sugestion is sugestion, specially because i never listened to it)

Soundmagic aren't going to have midbass impact, sub bass and overall tonality are great though
Fostex aren't going to have sub bass rumble
Feenux Aria are a let down in the bass department.
Ws99 I remember selling the next day

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #10,751 of 12,993
Soundmagic aren't going to have midbass impact, sub bass and overall tonality are great though
Fostex aren't going to have sub bass rumble
Feenux Aria are a let down in the bass department.
Ws99 I remember selling the next day

Hmm, so that leaves me with the DonScorpio, the M&O and the Corsairs from the original list.
I also came across the Sony XB line, most notably the MDR-XB920/MDR-X10, what about those?

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #10,752 of 12,993
1- DonScorpio Drama
2- M&O Beryllium
3- SoundMagic HP151
5- Fostex T20RP
6- Fostex T40RP

theres 2 lists:

1 is the top 10, and the other has i think 3 categories of 30 headphones or so.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #10,753 of 12,993
theres 2 lists:

1 is the top 10, and the other has i think 3 categories of 30 headphones or so.
I've seen both I think, just searching around the web.
From those lists most models either don't fit my budget or are no longer available

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #10,754 of 12,993
Any love for Momentum on-ear, Urbanite on-ear, T50p, DT1350, HD25, and HD8DJ around here?

Also, don't be fooled - a lot of time you might see the Beyers mentioned as some kind of bassey can. It is NOT with bassheads in mind when that statement is being used. They need some power to drive them, yet they distort easily when heavy bass is applied. Do not under any circumstances go in thinking "Oh, I can't wait to get the Beyers, they're going to rumble my skull". Again, great for films and putting explosion rumbles into perspective, but a no for heavy bass in music. It's ability to track vocals is sublime too which is why I think anything with speech is great with it...
Know any bass heavy tracks that show 770's bass limitations? A whole list wouldn't hurt.
I'm curious to see if my modified 250-ohm 770 "fails" as well.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #10,755 of 12,993
Ended up ordering a Sony MDR-XB920 out of sheer curiosity.
Can't hurt, if i don't like it i'll just sell it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back