The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 5, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #10,711 of 12,993
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I EQ everything using Equalizer APO + Peace on my PC. I EQ my 6XXs pretty heavily or else I wouldn't like them. lol I do also add more treble to the M100s cause they don't sound "clear enough" (not really good with the terminology), so perhaps the Purplehearts would fix that for me.

It seems like most of the X00s break after warranty has run out and Massdrop won't help anyone then. Maybe it would be better to buy used and save money...

No worries :)

The M100s to me sound like they do this weird thing where they direct the tweeters off axis to your ears - but that's fine, because for how loud I listen, I don't want that upper frequency energy killing off my hearing :p

But yeah, the Purplehearts are in a different league clarity wise.

Really want to start using Peace. How easy is it to install? Big learning curve?

Ha, we have the same headphones. I tried living with the 6XX, but the rolloff is real. Plus, both those and my Fidelios got obsoleted after getting the Purplehearts. There's just no point lol, all the things they do right are overshadowed now.

In regards to them breaking, it's up to you. I've only had mine since last year Septemberish. I keep it on a headphone hanger and in a Beyerdynamics case for transport. So far zero issues. I haven't dropped it or manhandled it though so...you know.

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #10,712 of 12,993
its probably not gonna count since it requries both a headphone amp and an equalizer, but the k712 has the ability to produce quite staggering amounts of bass (at least for an open pair)
even still id like to nominate those pls :p

Just so you know, the whole point is that we use an amp and equaliser to extract the most out of a can for these tests anyway, so if it can put it down, then yeah. We're all expecting to use an amp and EQ. Do a paper test :p

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #10,713 of 12,993

The M100s to me sound like they do this weird thing where they direct the tweeters off axis to your ears - but that's fine, because for how loud I listen, I don't want that upper frequency energy killing off my hearing :p

Really want to start using Peace. How easy is it to install? Big learning curve?

Ha, we have the same headphones. I tried living with the 6XX, but the rolloff is real. Plus, both those and my Fidelios got obsoleted after getting the Purplehearts. There's just no point lol, all the things they do right are overshadowed now.

In regards to them breaking, it's up to you. I've only had mine since last year Septemberish. I keep it on a headphone hanger and in a Beyerdynamics case for transport. So far zero issues. I haven't dropped it or manhandled it though so...you know.
There is no learning curve to peace apo. Install and go :)

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #10,714 of 12,993

It was pretty easy to get it working, though sometimes it's trial and error plus a few restarts of the PC. You have to install Equalizer APO first, then you install Peace. Use the "configurator" to install the APO software on whatever playback device(s) you want. I have it installed on just my optical output and USB I use for The Element. Then open up Peace and and mess around with it!

It's funny you mentioned the X2s. I was super close to purchasing them last night, but I thought I'd sleep on it and decide today. I've wanted to try them for a while and I'm looking for something a little better than my HyperX Clouds for gaming and movie/tv watching. I'm torn between them (X2s) and the Beyer 770s; though to be honest, I'm leaning towards 770s (but still doing research). I like closed headphones so I have to worry about disturbing anyone (which is why I use headphones for gaming/movies/tv in the first place). Kinda feel like I can use my 6XX that I already have if I want to use open, and since you said the X2s are "obsolete after buying the PH," well then I might as well save that money and put it towards getting the PH someday.

I honestly don't want to own a ton of headphones. I try to put a lot of thought and research into each purchase and only spend money on good quality equipment, where each set will have a specific use/purpose (if that makes sense).

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #10,715 of 12,993
It was pretty easy to get it working, though sometimes it's trial and error plus a few restarts of the PC. You have to install Equalizer APO first, then you install Peace. Use the "configurator" to install the APO software on whatever playback device(s) you want. I have it installed on just my optical output and USB I use for The Element. Then open up Peace and and mess around with it!

It's funny you mentioned the X2s. I was super close to purchasing them last night, but I thought I'd sleep on it and decide today. I've wanted to try them for a while and I'm looking for something a little better than my HyperX Clouds for gaming and movie/tv watching. I'm torn between them (X2s) and the Beyer 770s; though to be honest, I'm leaning towards 770s (but still doing research). I like closed headphones so I have to worry about disturbing anyone (which is why I use headphones for gaming/movies/tv in the first place). Kinda feel like I can use my 6XX that I already have if I want to use open, and since you said the X2s are "obsolete after buying the PH," well then I might as well save that money and put it towards getting the PH someday.

I honestly don't want to own a ton of headphones. I try to put a lot of thought and research into each purchase and only spend money on good quality equipment, where each set will have a specific use/purpose (if that makes sense).

Haha bro we're totally on the same wavelength headphone choice and logic wise; that makes perfect sense. I do the same thing.

I have the Beyers too. In my opinion, they are the best for TV/Movies/Podcasts etc - basically anything but music. Even with all the other headphones we've mentioned so far, I always go back to them when I'm watching a film.
The Fidelios are cool to me because they have a wide soundstage and they have more bass than usual for an open can. They were my favourite until the PHs. They've done the whole V shaped thing perfectly. So, if you're going to be doing more gaming/movie watching etc, get the Beyers for sure! But if you're going to be listening to music, definitely the Fidelios.

Also, don't be fooled - a lot of time you might see the Beyers mentioned as some kind of bassey can. It is NOT with bassheads in mind when that statement is being used. They need some power to drive them, yet they distort easily when heavy bass is applied. Do not under any circumstances go in thinking "Oh, I can't wait to get the Beyers, they're going to rumble my skull". Again, great for films and putting explosion rumbles into perspective, but a no for heavy bass in music. It's ability to track vocals is sublime too which is why I think anything with speech is great with it.

Thanks for the insight into the equaliser software. I will branch off from my Creative E5 and try it once I get a free weekend :D

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #10,716 of 12,993
ha, just got a 404 stax with straw mod , i see why people say these are best bass (after eq oh, they can take so much eq without breaking) even more than the campfire cascade which is crazy ! they rumble the the head and have sub-woofer effect yet very clear in mid and high,

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #10,717 of 12,993
ha, just got a 404 stax with straw mod , i see why people say these are best bass (after eq oh, they can take so much eq without breaking) even more than the campfire cascade which is crazy ! they rumble the the head and have sub-woofer effect yet very clear in mid and high,

No way - more than the Cascade o.o?
That's insane! :hushed::hushed::hushed:
I just can't believe it till I hear it though - those Cascades were the most thickest mid bass head kicking experience in any bass can I've used. And electrostatics have insanely thin drivers so it feels like the physics won't match up unless this is a hybrid or this straw mod is voodoo magic lol.

Doubt they'll be there, but I'll look out for them at CanJam London this summer.

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #10,718 of 12,993
No way - more than the Cascade o.o?
That's insane! :hushed::hushed::hushed:
I just can't believe it till I hear it though - those Cascades were the most thickest mid bass head kicking experience in any bass can I've used. And electrostatics have insanely thin drivers so it feels like the physics won't match up unless this is a hybrid or this straw mod is voodoo magic lol.

Doubt they'll be there, but I'll look out for them at CanJam London this summer.

Cascade hits harder due to the dynamic driver, but also hit tight as any closed headphone. Think of cascade as sealed subwoofer. Stax after the mod and Eq rumbles like an open baffle sub-woofer and they moves air a lot more (and still more clear articulated than cascade`s). Another difference cascade rumble ears and its surrounding due to its smaller sound-stage, while stax have bigger sound stage and rumble your skull better ha. (also stax driver 4 times bigger and you feel it) Cascade hit ear drum harder, bcz it pressure air into the ear (closed headphone). Regardless I never experience such a subwoofer effect with a headphone, maybe planers can do the same ? not sure. Finally I did not Eq the cascade that will be insanity level of bass LOL

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #10,720 of 12,993
Cascade hits harder due to the dynamic driver, but also hit tight as any closed headphone. Think of cascade as sealed subwoofer. Stax after the mod and Eq rumbles like an open baffle sub-woofer and they moves air a lot more (and still more clear articulated than cascade`s). Another difference cascade rumble ears and its surrounding due to its smaller sound-stage, while stax have bigger sound stage and rumble your skull better ha. (also stax driver 4 times bigger and you feel it) Cascade hit ear drum harder, bcz it pressure air into the ear (closed headphone). Regardless I never experience such a subwoofer effect with a headphone, maybe planers can do the same ? not sure. Finally I did not Eq the cascade that will be insanity level of bass LOL

Well, I would like to hear them now. They definitely sound interesting!

So what's the consensus on Sony MDR-Z1R? Canons or not?

Tried them a few years back. IMO, they were absolutely awesome. Their trump card I think is even if you put a silly bass EQ through, the rest of the sound signature is unusually clear. So those drivers are fast and strong.
Yet, the V-Modas could produce more impact IMO, but universes behind in clarity. Z1Rs also sound much bigger than the V-Modas.
Didn't really think they were worth it back then, but Sony is doing that thing where their price drops year by year.
Who knows, maybe it'll drop as low as £1200. For that price I think they'd be more than worth it - £2000 - nah. Not when the TH900s, ZMF Eikons and Kennerton Odins are a thing.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #10,721 of 12,993
Well, I would like to hear them now. They definitely sound interesting!

Tried them a few years back. IMO, they were absolutely awesome. Their trump card I think is even if you put a silly bass EQ through, the rest of the sound signature is unusually clear. So those drivers are fast and strong.
Yet, the V-Modas could produce more impact IMO, but universes behind in clarity. Z1Rs also sound much bigger than the V-Modas.
Didn't really think they were worth it back then, but Sony is doing that thing where their price drops year by year.
Who knows, maybe it'll drop as low as £1200. For that price I think they'd be more than worth it - £2000 - nah. Not when the TH900s, ZMF Eikons and Kennerton Odins are a thing.

What do you think about Sony MDR-1AM2 and Sony MDR-1A vs V moda m100?

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #10,722 of 12,993
I got both the Modas and Z1R so better get cranking up those low frequencies. Purchased the Sony top cans recently for about 860 squids here down under taking advantage of a special. They're awesome with most genres but suck with metal. Can't have it all I guess. I also have the TH-X00s that can slam nicely when pushed and several capable IEMs like the Flare R2PRO and the Noble K10. Not a boring moment at the office, hehe

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #10,723 of 12,993
What do you think about Sony MDR-1AM2 and Sony MDR-1A vs V moda m100?

V-Moda beats them both (I've only heard that AM2 has less bass than the 1As). But, the 1As are fxcing awesome. You can turn them into mini bass cannons. My only qualm with it is that it has no top end - but who cares when you're listening that loud >=D

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #10,724 of 12,993
Haha bro we're totally on the same wavelength headphone choice and logic wise; that makes perfect sense. I do the same thing.

I have the Beyers too. In my opinion, they are the best for TV/Movies/Podcasts etc - basically anything but music. Even with all the other headphones we've mentioned so far, I always go back to them when I'm watching a film.
The Fidelios are cool to me because they have a wide soundstage and they have more bass than usual for an open can. They were my favourite until the PHs. They've done the whole V shaped thing perfectly. So, if you're going to be doing more gaming/movie watching etc, get the Beyers for sure! But if you're going to be listening to music, definitely the Fidelios.

Also, don't be fooled - a lot of time you might see the Beyers mentioned as some kind of bassey can. It is NOT with bassheads in mind when that statement is being used. They need some power to drive them, yet they distort easily when heavy bass is applied. Do not under any circumstances go in thinking "Oh, I can't wait to get the Beyers, they're going to rumble my skull". Again, great for films and putting explosion rumbles into perspective, but a no for heavy bass in music. It's ability to track vocals is sublime too which is why I think anything with speech is great with it.

Thanks for the insight into the equaliser software. I will branch off from my Creative E5 and try it once I get a free weekend :D
It seems like we have a similar preference in sound signature! I was checking out the Beyers and I know there's the 1770s, but I think the 770s should be good enough. Like you suggested, they're gonna be for gaming and tv/movies only. I got my EQ'd 6XX to take care of music if I want to use an open headphone.

I learned my lesson the hard way about listening to people describing things as bassey. My first "nice" purchase was the Shure's SE215s. Everyone was saying "so much bass, too much bass" etc etc, so I was like ok, perfect! When I got them I honestly thought they were broken. lol I've always used either JVC Marshmallows or the XX Xtreme Bass, so I was like, "where's the bass?!" :sweat: So now I always do research before purchasing. I've since gotten used to them (with the help of some EQ), and when I switch back to the JVCs I do hear the difference in quality...but they're still missing something. lol I don't use IEMs all too often, but I would like to get another pair that I might enjoy more (I have the iBasso IT01 saved in my wish list, but not sure if they're a good enough upgrade).

That's why I'm really spending a lot of time trying to decide on my next purchase. Is the X00 a "big enough" upgrade to the M100s...? The one thing that keeps stopping me is that build quality (which is a pretty important thing for me when I buy something). Not that I'm rough on my stuff; I'm actually the exact opposite, but I want to have confidence that the things I invest money into will last. I just haven't come across anything else that seems like it would offer that sound sig I like at a similar price point. Do I need to start looking at the really expensive stuff? lol

Mar 8, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #10,725 of 12,993
It seems like we have a similar preference in sound signature! I was checking out the Beyers and I know there's the 1770s, but I think the 770s should be good enough. Like you suggested, they're gonna be for gaming and tv/movies only. I got my EQ'd 6XX to take care of music if I want to use an open headphone.

I learned my lesson the hard way about listening to people describing things as bassey. My first "nice" purchase was the Shure's SE215s. Everyone was saying "so much bass, too much bass" etc etc, so I was like ok, perfect! When I got them I honestly thought they were broken. lol I've always used either JVC Marshmallows or the XX Xtreme Bass, so I was like, "where's the bass?!" :sweat: So now I always do research before purchasing. I've since gotten used to them (with the help of some EQ), and when I switch back to the JVCs I do hear the difference in quality...but they're still missing something. lol I don't use IEMs all too often, but I would like to get another pair that I might enjoy more (I have the iBasso IT01 saved in my wish list, but not sure if they're a good enough upgrade).

That's why I'm really spending a lot of time trying to decide on my next purchase. Is the X00 a "big enough" upgrade to the M100s...? The one thing that keeps stopping me is that build quality (which is a pretty important thing for me when I buy something). Not that I'm rough on my stuff; I'm actually the exact opposite, but I want to have confidence that the things I invest money into will last. I just haven't come across anything else that seems like it would offer that sound sig I like at a similar price point. Do I need to start looking at the really expensive stuff? lol

Yeah for real, those hype trains can be really dangerous! I thought my Beyers were broken, that's why I have two haha.

Well, everything's relative man, but honestly for me, in regards to sound quality my entire headphone collection got obsoleted. But luckily every can has its place. The Sony MDR-1000X is active noise cancelling and wireless, the Beyers are perfect for non music activities and the V-Modas don't distort if I push them. My 6XX and Fidelios? Straight up collecting dust my guy (actually they're in cases and bags, but you get what I mean). But sound quality alone? I wouldn't even hesitate to recommend them to you. I got a case, gloves and polish for mine and they're doing just fine so far. Yeah they feel delicate, but if you do take care of it, I don't see how you'd have any issue. I can't remember if I mentioned it already, but thing is, they are sensitive and they reach their bass limits quickly. But it's true quality bass with decent rumble and way above average. Throw some Dekoni or ZMF pads on there and you're golden. Seeing as we seem to have similar tastes to, I defo think you should give it a go - especially if you're in the US and don't get fxced over by taxes like in the UK ¬_¬

Should you want to look for the really expensive though, here's my thoughts at last year's CanJam from a basshead's perspective. IMO, for bassheads, expensive cans just aren't cut out for that extreme type of listening. Sure there are some that will be good, but a lot of them don't outpound the V-Modas and if the JVCs are as godlike as everyone says they are, then I haven't come across a single high end can that would best it on extreme bass alone.
One can that isn't in there is there Z1R, but as you can see in a few posts above this, I think they're awesome. My XB-1000s sound like crap (but they're probably fake tbh) and I was beginning to think the 70mm drivers really were weak, but they're the real deal man. Think a lot of bassheads would be happy to play with 'em.

Been a while since I heard 'em though - need to re-evaluate them at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back