The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 2, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #10,696 of 12,993
Skullcandy crusher 360 why no rec?
probably the sound.

the other crushers have bad durability. you want to shoot for a headphone with 3% or less amazon 1 star reviews (assuming they are truthful). i bought the bluetooth crusher and returned it because the bass driver would turn off. xb950 are also terrible.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #10,697 of 12,993
Hey everyone!

I've been off the site for a couple years.

My SZ2000 cans just dropped the left signal after a solid 5 years of banging, and I can't get them working again. USED replacements are over 1000usd... so needless to say, I am looking for a replacement.

Anything come out in the last few years that is better than the JVC HA-SZ2000? I have been using my sony IEMS which are a poor substitute.

I am looking for closed can, wired, bass cannons, under 400 dollars preferably. I have a desktop amp, dac, I use Foobar2000 with multiple plugins.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #10,698 of 12,993
Hey everyone!

I've been off the site for a couple years.

My SZ2000 cans just dropped the left signal after a solid 5 years of banging, and I can't get them working again. USED replacements are over 1000usd... so needless to say, I am looking for a replacement.

Anything come out in the last few years that is better than the JVC HA-SZ2000? I have been using my sony IEMS which are a poor substitute.

I am looking for closed can, wired, bass cannons, under 400 dollars preferably. I have a desktop amp, dac, I use Foobar2000 with multiple plugins.

You can still catch a set on ebay on occasion like THIS ONE.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #10,699 of 12,993
I love my M100s but I can't help but wonder what else is out there. I would like to try one of Fostex's TH/R-X00 line of headphones, but the reports of them breaking just scares me off every single time. I can't decide if I'd prefer the Purple Heart or Mahogany, even though I've read a lot of reviews and opinions. I've EQ'd pretty much every headphone I've ever owned, and I usually do V shaped which makes me think I'd like PH the best, but then I get worried that they might be too sibilant.

I also don't know if it's worth buying new on Massdrop to get the replaceable cables, or just look into used to save money. I guess with the quality control issues, it makes me lean towards buying a brand new set. I just wonder if it's difficult to replace or repair them if they break. Can't find a whole lot of info except for that one site that has the part for like $50, I think.

It just seems like the X00s are often recommended when someone asks what's the next step after the M100s. I don't think I'm quite ready to spend $1,000, so if there's something similar in price and sound to Fostex's X00s and more durable/better made, I'd love to know!

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #10,700 of 12,993
I have the SZ2000 (with Alpha pads) and the ModHouse Argon. My setup is the Emotiva BasX A-100 amp (jumpers installed), Topping D50 dac and the Schiit Loki tone control. I have been able to compare these 2 headphones side by side many times. I will tell you, I prefer the Argons almost every single time. The bass, to my ears, is just as good as the SZ but everything else is just a little better. The Loki really makes a difference with the SZ in bringing the mids more forward and creating a more balanced sound. I listen to mostly EDM.

So, for those who are looking for a SZ replacement, I would highly recommend the Argon. It really is a special headphone and very affordable at around $250.

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #10,701 of 12,993
@squeakez Do you use the Loki very often with your Argons? I have Argon MK2’s and the Emotiva A-100 and find some tracks where I’d like to bring the bass down a little. I’ve always thought the Loki would be perfect for real time adjustments. You’re the first Argon owner I’ve come across that also owns a Loki.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #10,702 of 12,993
@squeakez Do you use the Loki very often with your Argons? I have Argon MK2’s and the Emotiva A-100 and find some tracks where I’d like to bring the bass down a little. I’ve always thought the Loki would be perfect for real time adjustments. You’re the first Argon owner I’ve come across that also owns a Loki.

I really love the Loki! I didn't think I would use it with the Argons because I really thought they were perfect. I bought the Loki for the SZs and it really did make a positive difference. But one night I decided to play with the Loki and the Argons. To my surprise, it made an improvement in the already amazing sound. I bumped the bass a little and the mids too. I left the treble at neutral. I don't think the Loki would completely change the sound signature of a headphone completely. I think what it does best is to tweak an already good sounding headphone. Now that I have it in my chain, I can't imagine being without it.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #10,703 of 12,993
@squeakez You have just reinforced my decision to get a Loki. I’m cheap, so I’ll probably wait until one pops up on the for sale forums here. Thanks for sharing!

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #10,705 of 12,993
hi guys i am looking for wired ear bud bass head headphones for under $100 that wont fall out skiing. i have major problems with ear buds ive owned. please give me a list of at least 5 best to worst so i can compare on amazon.

please help.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #10,706 of 12,993
Atom good enough to power SZ1K or do I need to go higher?

Atom should be fine mate :)

I love my M100s but I can't help but wonder what else is out there. I would like to try one of Fostex's TH/R-X00 line of headphones, but the reports of them breaking just scares me off every single time. I can't decide if I'd prefer the Purple Heart or Mahogany, even though I've read a lot of reviews and opinions. I've EQ'd pretty much every headphone I've ever owned, and I usually do V shaped which makes me think I'd like PH the best, but then I get worried that they might be too sibilant.

I also don't know if it's worth buying new on Massdrop to get the replaceable cables, or just look into used to save money. I guess with the quality control issues, it makes me lean towards buying a brand new set. I just wonder if it's difficult to replace or repair them if they break. Can't find a whole lot of info except for that one site that has the part for like $50, I think.

It just seems like the X00s are often recommended when someone asks what's the next step after the M100s. I don't think I'm quite ready to spend $1,000, so if there's something similar in price and sound to Fostex's X00s and more durable/better made, I'd love to know!

I have both of these cans.

First of all, I'm unsure about the quality control issues, but if you are worried about it, buy new, Massdrop has a warranty for that reason.

Second, the M100s can take more bass EQ than the Purplehearts, but as far as mature headphones go, the Fostex is quality all over. Better believe even without EQ it brings that sub bass, bass and mid bass when it's there! For critical listening I even -3db the 62hz range because with bass heavy music, it can bleed into the mids a bit. Your suspicions are right though, that treble is crispy and clear and for heavy Dubstep I do nuke the highs. You can get quite a nice amount of bass out of it, but it starts distorting if you bring it up to V-Moda M100's levels. I have an EQ that is known to distort on the already very bass heavy stuff, but does alright with normal bass music.

upload_2019-3-4_10-24-12.png

Make no mistake, for the resolution and detail you're getting, it's definitely a massive step up from the V-Modas (and everything under the £400 mark IMO), but it's not the perfect solution. Even the 900s which have even better drivers doesn't outrightly beat the M100s in quantity.

Do I regret getting the Purplehearts? Not for a second, they are my current favourite headphone. The M100s still get some head time though for those extreme sessions >=D I highly recommend you grab a set of Purplehearts man, especially since you already know about EQ'ing. There's a bit of burn in for the first couple weeks where the very high treble reigns itself in, but after that, you're golden. If you do get them, the Dekoni Hybrid Elite pads take the comfort to another level too - but, we can get into all that if you actually decide to get 'em lol.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #10,707 of 12,993
hi guys i am looking for ear bud bass head headphones for under $100 that wont fall out skiing. i have major problems with ear buds ive owned. please give me a list of at least 5 best to worst so i can compare on amazon.

please help.

Out of the box, I found these to already be bassey enough and treble subdued enough to play dubstep without any EQ and still have fun.
Tranyas - that's the amazon link.

But they're very cheap so, don't expect the world. 3 hour battery life and occasionally drops for a second. If you EQ them tooo much (more than 4db), they reach their limits, but honestly, they don't even need it for casual, loud bassey listening)

I had mixed results with Enacfire E18s as well. The ear tip fit is EXTREMELY important. Goes from a meh can to an unbelievably bass in ear for the price, similar to the Tranyas. But because I've had such mixed results, I'm much less reluctant to recommend them unless you're OK with tip rolling.

Good luck :)

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #10,708 of 12,993
Out of the box, I found these to already be bassey enough and treble subdued enough to play dubstep without any EQ and still have fun.
Tranyas - that's the amazon link.

But they're very cheap so, don't expect the world. 3 hour battery life and occasionally drops for a second. If you EQ them tooo much (more than 4db), they reach their limits, but honestly, they don't even need it for casual, loud bassey listening)

I had mixed results with Enacfire E18s as well. The ear tip fit is EXTREMELY important. Goes from a meh can to an unbelievably bass in ear for the price, similar to the Tranyas. But because I've had such mixed results, I'm much less reluctant to recommend them unless you're OK with tip rolling.

Good luck :)
thank you man, although i forgot to mention i want wired ear buds.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #10,709 of 12,993
its probably not gonna count since it requries both a headphone amp and an equalizer, but the k712 has the ability to produce quite staggering amounts of bass (at least for an open pair)
even still id like to nominate those pls :p

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #10,710 of 12,993
Atom should be fine mate :)

I have both of these cans.

First of all, I'm unsure about the quality control issues, but if you are worried about it, buy new, Massdrop has a warranty for that reason.

Second, the M100s can take more bass EQ than the Purplehearts, but as far as mature headphones go, the Fostex is quality all over. Better believe even without EQ it brings that sub bass, bass and mid bass when it's there! For critical listening I even -3db the 62hz range because with bass heavy music, it can bleed into the mids a bit. Your suspicions are right though, that treble is crispy and clear and for heavy Dubstep I do nuke the highs. You can get quite a nice amount of bass out of it, but it starts distorting if you bring it up to V-Moda M100's levels. I have an EQ that is known to distort on the already very bass heavy stuff, but does alright with normal bass music.

Make no mistake, for the resolution and detail you're getting, it's definitely a massive step up from the V-Modas (and everything under the £400 mark IMO), but it's not the perfect solution. Even the 900s which have even better drivers doesn't outrightly beat the M100s in quantity.

Do I regret getting the Purplehearts? Not for a second, they are my current favourite headphone. The M100s still get some head time though for those extreme sessions >=D I highly recommend you grab a set of Purplehearts man, especially since you already know about EQ'ing. There's a bit of burn in for the first couple weeks where the very high treble reigns itself in, but after that, you're golden. If you do get them, the Dekoni Hybrid Elite pads take the comfort to another level too - but, we can get into all that if you actually decide to get 'em lol.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I EQ everything using Equalizer APO + Peace on my PC. I EQ my 6XXs pretty heavily or else I wouldn't like them. lol I do also add more treble to the M100s cause they don't sound "clear enough" (not really good with the terminology), so perhaps the Purplehearts would fix that for me.

It seems like most of the X00s break after warranty has run out and Massdrop won't help anyone then. Maybe it would be better to buy used and save money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back