The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 19, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #10,666 of 12,993
i would like to ask for your advice to change my yamaha hph-mt220, i like a new headphone with more bass.

which do you prefer v moda crodssfade m100 or beyer dt 770?

I use the headphone connected to a schiit fulla 2.

Thanks

Carlo

What are you listening to? If it's for bass heavy stuff, then do NOT get the Beyers. They will distort very easily under bass stress, whereas the M100s with XL pads (required upgrade really) will best most basshead headphones IMO.

I have both right now. I find the Beyers the best for anything that isn't listening to music. TV, Movies, Games, Phone Calls. The only genre I really like it on is UK Grime, because they're good at vocal tracking.

If you're listening to other genres that have a little bit of bass and you want it to be present and accurately reproduced at the low end, then yah, the Beyers should do you well. But this was the first can I got and I was so overwhelmingly disappointed with its bass capabilities, that I bought a second one because I thought the first one was broken; it wasn't.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #10,667 of 12,993
what about Sony MDR-1A and the new Sony mdr-1am2?

IDK about the 1am2s but the 1As are AWESOME!
They can take some serious bass and sound pretty good across the board. Only real limitation I had with it is the top top treble is missing and you CANNOT fix it with EQ - just not made to do it it seems. It's blatantly obviously when you compare it with the Sony MDR-1000X and even the Meze 99 Classics.
But other than that, one of my favourite headphones. I hesitate to recommend the new ones because IDK if they've changed anything.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #10,668 of 12,993
What are you listening to? If it's for bass heavy stuff, then do NOT get the Beyers. They will distort very easily under bass stress, whereas the M100s with XL pads (required upgrade really) will best most basshead headphones IMO.

I have both right now. I find the Beyers the best for anything that isn't listening to music. TV, Movies, Games, Phone Calls. The only genre I really like it on is UK Grime, because they're good at vocal tracking.

If you're listening to other genres that have a little bit of bass and you want it to be present and accurately reproduced at the low end, then yah, the Beyers should do you well. But this was the first can I got and I was so overwhelmingly disappointed with its bass capabilities, that I bought a second one because I thought the first one was broken; it wasn't.

I listen rock, pop and edm music.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #10,669 of 12,993
my theory on headphones is any headphone with i dunno 30 or more amazon reviews (assuming theyre honest reviews) and 3% or lower 1 star and 2 star reviews is a good headphone. so sonys dont qualify.

but maybe my theory is wrong.

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #10,670 of 12,993

Which 770 you talking about. There is 16.32.80.250.600 versions.

The lP2/ m100 does give more eardrum tickle, but the 770 is a studio professional grade headphone.

My SZ1k/XB1k give a good level of bass , but both headphones are not accurate at all.

But this is a basshead thread, so hmmmm ....

Me and my brother argued over this m100 vs dt770 ... near wigsplitting levels of tension :D

the dt150 is not basshead, but its a good allrounder with very good bass...though not basshead.. Better than m100, th-x00, dt770, mdr-1r/a and many others under 100 - 400 range IMO

Update on OneOdio pro50... still enjoying them oddly enough. I thought i'd throw them against a wall from disappointment, but nope

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #10,671 of 12,993
Which 770 you talking about. There is 16.32.80.250.600 versions.

The lP2/ m100 does give more eardrum tickle, but the 770 is a studio professional grade headphone.

My SZ1k/XB1k give a good level of bass , but both headphones are not accurate at all.

But this is a basshead thread, so hmmmm ....

Me and my brother argued over this m100 vs dt770 ... near wigsplitting levels of tension :D

the dt150 is not basshead, but its a good allrounder with very good bass...though not basshead.. Better than m100, th-x00, dt770, mdr-1r/a and many others under 100 - 400 range IMO

Update on OneOdio pro50... still enjoying them oddly enough. I thought i'd throw them against a wall from disappointment, but nope

It literally doesn't matter at this point because everything is less bassey than the 80ohm. The 250ohm were even worse. They distort so easily.
The M100 vs the DT770 isn't even a competition, at all. Maybe without any EQ, but as aforementioned, this is a extreme basshead forum.
The LP2s are also a noticeable step down to the M100s.
I haven't heard the SZ1000s or 2000s, but it's the universal king. I have no doubt that it will kill off M100s because of the kind of people who've rated them.
The XB 1000 I own, however, I think mine is fake or broken because it sounds like complete garbage now. Distorts if I turn it up a little. I've also heard the Z1R which are probably the most competent drivers I've handled.
Crazy bass boost and power but the difference is the rest of the sound signature is clear. Whilst the M100s beat pretty much everything from my experience, you're not getting that clarity.
The Fostex Purplehearts and TH-900s for example offer exceptional clarity and really nice bass, but you can easily overpower and distort them because they're so sensitive.
Still, the Purplehearts are my favourite can at this time, but if I need to get crazy, the M100s will come out.
The Beyers are my all time favourite movie etc can though - I find the Purplehearts for example presents too much highs for films, but for music its glorious.

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #10,672 of 12,993
It literally doesn't matter at this point because everything is less bassey than the 80ohm. The 250ohm were even worse. They distort so easily.
The M100 vs the DT770 isn't even a competition, at all. Maybe without any EQ, but as aforementioned, this is a extreme basshead forum.
The LP2s are also a noticeable step down to the M100s.
I haven't heard the SZ1000s or 2000s, but it's the universal king. I have no doubt that it will kill off M100s because of the kind of people who've rated them.
The XB 1000 I own, however, I think mine is fake or broken because it sounds like complete garbage now. Distorts if I turn it up a little. I've also heard the Z1R which are probably the most competent drivers I've handled.
Crazy bass boost and power but the difference is the rest of the sound signature is clear. Whilst the M100s beat pretty much everything from my experience, you're not getting that clarity.
The Fostex Purplehearts and TH-900s for example offer exceptional clarity and really nice bass, but you can easily overpower and distort them because they're so sensitive.
Still, the Purplehearts are my favourite can at this time, but if I need to get crazy, the M100s will come out.
The Beyers are my all time favourite movie etc can though - I find the Purplehearts for example presents too much highs for films, but for music its glorious.

I guess everyone hears different.
I thought lp2 had more bass when pushed, b/c m100 was the more refined version aka less v shaped. It is bassy, but the sz1k and xb1k kill it. My xb1k/sz1k don't distort ,i beat the crap out of them. The m100 is cleaner when pushed (relative to lp2), but the lp2 also was no joke. Both with XL pads.
I\ve tried purpleheart, but i just enjoyed the dt150/770 more. I guess I have beyer bias.
I enjoy the basshead bass. I took the risk to mod both the xb1k,sz1k. I could have easily destroyed them, but i wanted MORE BASS.
I also enjoy accuracy

but thanks for sharing your viewpoint on things. Probably doesn't make choice easier for that guy lol :D

*** btw i would do paper test for lp2/m100, but my lp2 was blown out and i replaced with s500 drivers. I already did paper test with xb1k/sz1k on here***

alll about da paper on here :D

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #10,675 of 12,993
I guess everyone hears different.
I thought lp2 had more bass when pushed, b/c m100 was the more refined version aka less v shaped. It is bassy, but the sz1k and xb1k kill it. My xb1k/sz1k don't distort ,i beat the crap out of them. The m100 is cleaner when pushed (relative to lp2), but the lp2 also was no joke. Both with XL pads.
I\ve tried purpleheart, but i just enjoyed the dt150/770 more. I guess I have beyer bias.
I enjoy the basshead bass. I took the risk to mod both the xb1k,sz1k. I could have easily destroyed them, but i wanted MORE BASS.
I also enjoy accuracy

but thanks for sharing your viewpoint on things. Probably doesn't make choice easier for that guy lol :D

*** btw i would do paper test for lp2/m100, but my lp2 was blown out and i replaced with s500 drivers. I already did paper test with xb1k/sz1k on here***

alll about da paper on here :D

Agreed, that's one thing that makes it difficult. People hear differently, play different music and have different tastes. For example, many people when they describe bass think of punchy bass, whereas I'm all about that sub bass. Otherwise I'd just get the Campfire Cascades and be done haha.
But yeah I was kinda worried when people keep saying each new version of the V-Modas is a more refined version of the previous (because that usually means it has less bass xD), but in this case, the M100 is just awesome and clear as you say. And agreed, the LP2 is no slouch, but noticeably less resolving than the M100s.
Yeah, my XB1000s have to be fake or broken man, wish I could hear some real ones one day, but most people aren't in the UK. Same with SZs, but they've both become rare "overpriced" gems (but they're legends so kinda not over priced, but because you could get them so "cheaply" a few years ago - you know what I mean)

Hmm, I'd definitely agree you have a Beyer bias in that case - Off topic, but I recommend you try the 1990 at some point just to see what you think (I didn't feel the 1770 did much different, it's just heavier lol) I think it's the best Beyer I heard so far (I can't imagine the T1s being nicer).

Ha, this is true; poor guy - sorry mate :D

I feel like I should do bass test of my own at some point, but I think you have to track down specific gear to do it, though the cans I'd do have already been done so...
Still, it would be interesting to see if I get different results >=D

Dec 23, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #10,678 of 12,993
i had XB1000 before and that thing was brutal, with a lot of volume and 15db bass boost it refuses to distort and just was trying to kill me

Haha, love that description. Definitely reminds me more of the Z1R I experienced. Might just have to eBay one ***.

Dec 24, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #10,679 of 12,993
Agreed, that's one thing that makes it difficult. People hear differently, play different music and have different tastes. For example, many people when they describe bass think of punchy bass, whereas I'm all about that sub bass. Otherwise I'd just get the Campfire Cascades and be done haha.
But yeah I was kinda worried when people keep saying each new version of the V-Modas is a more refined version of the previous (because that usually means it has less bass xD), but in this case, the M100 is just awesome and clear as you say. And agreed, the LP2 is no slouch, but noticeably less resolving than the M100s.
Yeah, my XB1000s have to be fake or broken man, wish I could hear some real ones one day, but most people aren't in the UK. Same with SZs, but they've both become rare "overpriced" gems (but they're legends so kinda not over priced, but because you could get them so "cheaply" a few years ago - you know what I mean)

Hmm, I'd definitely agree you have a Beyer bias in that case - Off topic, but I recommend you try the 1990 at some point just to see what you think (I didn't feel the 1770 did much different, it's just heavier lol) I think it's the best Beyer I heard so far (I can't imagine the T1s being nicer).

Ha, this is true; poor guy - sorry mate :D

I feel like I should do bass test of my own at some point, but I think you have to track down specific gear to do it, though the cans I'd do have already been done so...
Still, it would be interesting to see if I get different results >=D

I 've mentioned this before but my whole idea of subbass changed when i was in highschool and visited an audio store and they had this Kicker Solo X 18" custom seat. The subbass of 1 of these shook my intestines and the whole store. 5000RMS (raw dirty subbass power) from just one
This store had 2 of these in a custom van, and it blew the door off. One of them Astro Vans.

I had the best vehicle for sub-bass - Ford Excursion. I only could afford 15's ( 1-2K RMS and that is USA RMS) .at the time so i never got to my dream of 18s bass monsters (i've played with some crappy 18s)

But that thing dynamated up and 3 18s squares (or eqv.) is my subbass dream.

So I have realistic dreams with headphones.

subbass is a drug

but nothing here is gonna move that much air lol

My fav headphone overall has like 0 subbass . Beyer bias hell yes. I rock with dt48/480 so you can see how deluded i've become with the vintage German stuff.

giphy.gif

I even emailed JVC trying to talk to their engineers to bring back a super sz model.....
,..... it did not go well haha... i could not get access to the headphone engineers to give my pitch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back