The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Apr 14, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #10,773 of 12,993
4 x 50mm is better than 2x 30mm / 2x 55mm and the human ear can't hear under 20hz and over 20khz anyway.

No, it's not - because we're talking about bass drivers here, lets be real - and the JVC has the bigger pair.
And that's moot, because we're looking at what the headphone can technically do. I'm sure I don't have to go over all the "you can't hear but you can feel" rhetoric, already know that and you know there is information down there especially in films and you also know we're in the extreme bass club so, I don't wanna hear it; no pun intended.

Are power handling specs even real? I had a pair of 3w 40ohm headphones that didn't even handle my 32ohm 1.5w amp(speakers rattled at very high volume). I didn't use EQ.

What were said headphones? Are you sure that spec wasn't the peak as opposed to the RMS? Because power handling is VERY real. Its especially important in these situations, you know, when you're putting a tonne of power through your drivers in an attempt to put yourself into a bass coma >=D

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #10,774 of 12,993
No, it's not - because we're talking about bass drivers here, lets be real - and the JVC has the bigger pair.
And that's moot, because we're looking at what the headphone can technically do. I'm sure I don't have to go over all the "you can't hear but you can feel" rhetoric, already know that and you know there is information down there especially in films and you also know we're in the extreme bass club so, I don't wanna hear it; no pun intended.

The Tiamant 2.2 V2 has 4 subwoofers, the SZ2000 has 2 subwoofers and 2 regular speakers.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #10,777 of 12,993
Yamaha Pro500 is close to perfect for me. They are pretty good all-rounders that do everything pretty well. With a pad change the only main weakness is the crappy plastic used. They usually are my go too for everything. Admititly I rarely bring out the sz2ks due to needing a giant heavy brick to power them and now they are collectible. The Yamahas don't need an amp unless you are going extreme basshead.
IMG_20180418_184707.jpg

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #10,778 of 12,993
The Tiamant 2.2 V2 has 4 subwoofers, the SZ2000 has 2 subwoofers and 2 regular speakers.

No, the Tiamat has 1 "Subwoofer" speaker in ear cup. 1 driver to do full range, the other dedicated to bass, times 2 because there's two ear cups, to make a "2.2" system with 4 drivers across the whole headset. Compare this to their "10-driver headset" which actually has 5 drivers on each side, not 10.
So as I was saying before, 55mm is bigger than 50mm for the bass drivers. However, the other 50mm full range driver is larger than the SZ2K's full range driver - but we're talking about bass.
This is on paper and doesn't mean much...at all, but I'm just making a point.

Has anyone been able to compare the TH-X00 Ebony to the TH-900?

No, but the Ebony is based off the TH-610 which I've compared to the TH-900. There's like a 10% increase in "something"..."everything" maybe. Kinda hard to describe, but its definitely there. I felt it was definitely not worth DOUBLE the price, but the 900s definitely have the superior driver. They're not that much stronger bass-wise tbh. They're incredibly efficient cans and when you push them to extreme levels, they distort relatively easily. But their sub bass dominates if you're comparing them to most other high end cans.
The ZMF Eikons, Kennerton Odins and especially the Sony Z1Rs give it a run for its money though. Anyway, I digress :)

Yamaha Pro500 is close to perfect for me. They are pretty good all-rounders that do everything pretty well. With a pad change the only main weakness is the crappy plastic used. They usually are my go too for everything. Admititly I rarely bring out the sz2ks due to needing a giant heavy brick to power them and now they are collectible. The Yamahas don't need an amp unless you are going extreme basshead.

Really want to try them. There's a used set for ~£125, but no money for a WHILE. Still haven't even heard the legendary SZ2Ks yet either.

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #10,779 of 12,993
Without any power the sz2ks are lackluster and pretty lame. With power and Eq they can cause CTE within minutes. Very violent and to me almost exactly like standing in front of the speakers at a show. Mids are a bit thick and syrupy. After brain burn-in they become more palatable, but its its biggest failure imo.

The Yams are an energetic mid centric W shaped phone with pretty good detail. Bass is more midbass focus with a bit of a roll off, but they can eat up any amounts of EQ. The decay is fairly fast so them sub bass hits don't rumble as long, but the impact is fairly violent. At higher volumes they tend to get shouty cuz of the forward mids so they need to be EQ'd down.
Like I said they are pretty good allrounders. they can do death metal as well as they do reggae.

Here is a link to the Pads I used. they are they are slightly smaller then the brainwaves they copy, which allowed them a much tighter fit being as the stock Yamaha pads are 90x90 rounds.
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...ica/dp/B07MRLJBFS?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_8964219011

And here is a badass cd I have been listening too for a couple weeks now.

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #10,780 of 12,993
I would have loved and kept SZ2k were it not for the acoustic crossover. That awful desync'd echo coming out of the subwoofer ports, ugh.
There's no substitute for a proper electronic crossover, I think.

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #10,783 of 12,993
Any WS1100 users? Any modders among them tried finding a good way to reduce the sibilance?

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #10,784 of 12,993
I've seen both I think, just searching around the web.
From those lists most models either don't fit my budget or are no longer available
id recommend the amazon price tracker first of all because then you can look at the price history and get an idea if youre actually getting a sale or not. its called the camelizer add it to your browser.

second, my budget was $200 canadian. hawaii recd me ws1100is, m100, and i believe rbh hp2. i settled on the ws1100is because you dont have to swap pads unlike the m100, and they appear to be more durable; i shoot for 3% or less amazon.com 1 and 2 star reviews. but if you get ws1100is you need to buy a headband cover because the leather flakes.

tbh, i really cant tell too much difference between the bass on the ws1100is and my hd500s. theres alot of crap headphones out there like bad durability.

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #10,785 of 12,993
Any WS1100 users? Any modders among them tried finding a good way to reduce the sibilance?

im using rockbox on sony mp3. its by far the best audio player ive ever used; and i dont have a smart phone. i have a tablet, but the audio apps i got arent as good as rockbox.

curious do you have / know if those big cowhide pads z reviews uses on his m40x widens the soundstage on ws100is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back