The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 17, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #10,623 of 12,972
I heard both at CanJam London this year. If you just want midbass slam (which is going to be 100hz+), I remember the Cascades having the most violent kick out of everything at the show (All the Beyers, new LCD 2s, Fostex flagships, Focal flagships etc).
The Klipsch is a much better overall sounding headphone though, it's like the Fidelio X2 on crack. More bass, more highs, more clarity, more size, more everything!
I think on bass quantity alone, the Cascades will take it. But I feel like it doesn't really justify the BNIB price. Might as well get some V-Modas unless you really like the brand/style/sound sig.
But the Klipsch is on my future to get list because it's just so "kick ass turn everything the fxc up and rock out" for an open can. Price is already sub £1000 and I'm in no rush >=D

I've got the TR-X00 Purplehearts as well and honestly I just want someone to put TH-900 drivers in them one day as opposed to upgrading to a totally new can. I remember the 900s sounding superior to the 610s in every way at the show, not 2x the asking price as good - but it's more the painstaking process of building the 900s that drives the price up lol.

Thanks for solid response. I’m after more of a powerful subbass rumble than midbass kick. But I want good mids too and am scared that despite getting better subbass and stage size from the TH900 I’d be disappointed there. Really hoping the Klipsch is basically like a TH900 with:

- More subbass tuned in without EQ
- a more forward, denser midrange with better timbre...buzzwords yada yada... “musical”
- maybe at least 70% - 90% of the TH900 subbass quantity, slam, rumble etc with EQ and power. More is obviously better, but I wouldn’t expect that.
- smoother treble. I tried the dt990 once and the treble almost killed me. Been scared of it ever since.
- a comparably sized or bigger stage. Wide and deep for gaming would be nice.

Hoping for a sonic breakthrough (I.e video, list spot here) so I can yup, I’m getting those, and know they’re the ones without having to spend $1000+ on a disappointment.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #10,624 of 12,972
Believe it or not, My Hifiman HE-560 hits really hard for an open back headphone.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #10,628 of 12,972
Thanks for solid response. I’m after more of a powerful subbass rumble than midbass kick. But I want good mids too and am scared that despite getting better subbass and stage size from the TH900 I’d be disappointed there. Really hoping the Klipsch is basically like a TH900 with:

- More subbass tuned in without EQ
- a more forward, denser midrange with better timbre...buzzwords yada yada... “musical”
- maybe at least 70% - 90% of the TH900 subbass quantity, slam, rumble etc with EQ and power. More is obviously better, but I wouldn’t expect that.
- smoother treble. I tried the dt990 once and the treble almost killed me. Been scared of it ever since.
- a comparably sized or bigger stage. Wide and deep for gaming would be nice.

Hoping for a sonic breakthrough (I.e video, list spot here) so I can yup, I’m getting those, and know they’re the ones without having to spend $1000+ on a disappointment.

I can't fathom the Klipsch having more sub bass than the TH-900s. They're good for opens, but they're not "beat the TH-900s at its own game" good :)

Will probably give you the mids you want.

Seems reasonable - both are somewhat sensitive but let's not forget in terms of reaching distortion, my V-Modas were better than most things. The clarity and SQ of everything else is far exceeded, but for sub bass? Nah haha. Makes buying an expensive headphone as a basshead difficult, because these high end cans just aren't meant to be pushed in that way >=D

I heard the 1990 which actually had nice treble, but I could see how it can get fatiguing quickly and wouldn't recommend it for Dubstep and other "highs heavy" music.

Pretty sure the Klipsch will be wider and deeper soundstage wise than the TH-900s (even though they're semi-open).

In any case, take a trip or two or wait till you can hear 'em. They'll both be amazing headphones, but I feel like handing over that much money and not being sure BEFORE you pull the trigger is kinda crazy :D

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #10,629 of 12,972
hi guys i am using this eq preset on my rockbox but it sounds like i am missing (or they are too quiet) the upper bass notes, can you guys help??

i have ws1100is.

low shelf 40hz, 24db+
64 hz, -1.0db
125, -12db
250, -12db
500, -10.5db
-------------------------
40hz, 24+db
64, 1.4+db
125, -9db
250, -9db
500, -7.5db
----------------------
40hz, 24+db
64, 3.8+db
125, -6db
250, -6db
500, -4.5db

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #10,632 of 12,972
Oct 27, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #10,634 of 12,972
Nice review...thanks!

What’s your thoughts comparing this headphone to JVC sz1000 and JVC sz2000 in terms of bass and sound spectrum (all in all), and where this urbanfun falls in the top 10 list?

Thanks indeed !

Overall combo of bass and SQ probably beats everything on the list including TH900 which have rough treble sometimes. On bass alone I need to slap XX pads and play with amp and EQ for a weekend and see how much i can get out before they choke on 55Hz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back