The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #10,471 of 12,991
Hey guys! An unfortunate financial forecast is making me sell some of my headphones and assorted head-fi paraphernalia. To my great regret the JVC 2000s are among the losses. I have not sold anything in the market on this site, so I am over at the E of bays, user ID japx63. I am going to miss them (for now - I plan on ultimately getting another pair as they are so addictive!). Cheers!

Well dag nabbit - you are correct! That's what I get for letting the 'puter fill out the info for me. Corrected and updated - thank you!

I actually just bought your exact pair! Came here to say I just picked up a pair off eBay since several people gave me advice on them. Small world!

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #10,472 of 12,991
Getting new ear pads and an amp for it as well.
A few questions.
I’m looking at Brainwavz Earpads. Should I get angled, normal, or extra large? Or something else entirely?
And do I need anything other than an amp, like a dac?

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #10,473 of 12,991
Getting new ear pads and an amp for it as well.
A few questions.
I’m looking at Brainwavz Earpads. Should I get angled, normal, or extra large? Or something else entirely?
And do I need anything other than an amp, like a dac?

HERE is my experience with different pads on the HA-SZ2000, maybe it'll help.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #10,476 of 12,991
That's awesome! Be sure to amp them - you won't be sorry.

They are packed up and ready to head out to you in the morning!
Awesome! When I got back on this thread and saw your post I recognized the picture instantly as the one I just bought.
Any Amp recommendations? Do I need a Dac/Amp combo? Are some high end amps better than others? I was looking at the Cayin C5 since it was recommended but I've also seen the Oppo HA-2 and the E12 be used, and the black label amp. Not really sure what to get, it just has to be portable since I'm away from home as much as I am at home. Bluetooth would be cool but isn't worth sacrificing sound. I've got the headphones and pads ordered, so now all that's left is the amp and EQ software.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #10,477 of 12,991
Awesome! When I got back on this thread and saw your post I recognized the picture instantly as the one I just bought.
Any Amp recommendations? Do I need a Dac/Amp combo? Are some high end amps better than others? I was looking at the Cayin C5 since it was recommended but I've also seen the Oppo HA-2 and the E12 be used, and the black label amp. Not really sure what to get, it just has to be portable since I'm away from home as much as I am at home. I've got the headphones and pads ordered, so now all that's left is the amp and EQ software.

If budget isn't a concern, the iFi Micro iDSD gives you desktop level performance in a portable form factor. And from personal experience I know it gives the SZ2k plenty of juice. As for software, I use Equalizer APO for my PC and Neutron Player for my android phone and tablet.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #10,479 of 12,991
If you want a nice punch in the face just bass mod the K7XX series.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #10,481 of 12,991
Any ideas on mobile EQ software if I use Spotify? I don't actually own any music, just use spotify. Is the EQ on spotify enough?

I don't use Spotify, so I'm no help there.

If you want a nice punch in the face just bass mod the K7XX series.

He's already ordered his headphones.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #10,482 of 12,991
Are amps safe to buy used? Or should they really be bought new?

I've bought new and used without issue. Best advice I can give you is to buy from a reputable seller with positive feedback wherever you might buy used, here or ebay.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #10,484 of 12,991
Looks like I can grab the Micro iDSD Black Label for $390. Would it add that much more over the Cayin C5 or comparable price options such as the E12?

Get the micro BL... Hands down no comparison.. I own both, the BL is in an entirely different league

The iFi micro BL is considerably larger, but it's like comparing a sphinx with a full grown lion. Both are strong but the lion is the king of portable audio for a reason!!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #10,485 of 12,991
Get the micro BL... Hands down no comparison.. I own both, the BL is in an entirely different league

The iFi micro BL is considerably larger, but it's like comparing a sphinx with a full grown lion. Both are strong but the lion is the king of portable audio for a reason!!

Makes sense! The size and price are the only reasons I'm hesitant. I have a cheap gaming headset and the SZ2k on the way, so I don't have a ton of things to drive. Spending 400 to drive one pair of headphones is a tough pill for me, but if it's going to make them sound THAT much better than the E12 or C5 than maybe.

And the size is huge. I'm walking around my campus constantly so a smaller would be much more convenient for that type of lifestyle. Hm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back