The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 13, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #10,441 of 12,993
Hey everyone, i’m new around here but I have a question about the TH-X00 purplehearts.

I bought them recently and I am getting the same bass I got out of my 6yr old ATH-M50’s. I did the paper test and I am getting basically no vibration on the paper. I’m driving straight from my 2015 Macbook Pro. I heard these headphones didn’t need an amp.

Do I need to buy an amp? Did I get a busted pair? They sound great otherwise, but the bass is mostly heard and not felt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you are in the wrong thread. I think this is what you should be looking at if you are interested in moving paper.

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb16-ultra :gs1000smile:
http://magico.net/product/qsub.php

on a serious note, I would suggest a few things.

1. replace the stock pads on the TH-x00. They don't seal well
2. Buy the IFI imicro black label
3. Flip that xBass switch on the black label
4. If your budget doesn't allow you to buy a black label yet, save up some money, and wait for a sale. I bought mine for 329.00$ from adorama
5. Enjoy that sweet bass!

- This exact setup is what I use in office

NOTE: if you expecting that bloated beats bass. The TH-X00 will fall short. If you want bass that is articulate, fast, and plenty deep - the TH-X00 will not disappoint.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #10,442 of 12,993
I'm looking for something with insane bass, but that still has good mids. Any suggestions? I'm talking like, I want to turn on some Travis Scott or Whiz Kalifa and have my body shake. I wanna feel like I'm being attacked by someone, or in an explosion. But I also want to be able to listen to some lyric based or more pop/rock songs and actually hear the mids and such, or the actual lyrics within the rap song, and not be overly muddy. For context, I listened to the ATH-M50x's and they had fantastic mids to me. Have to be closed and comfortable. Any ideas?

Jul 15, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #10,443 of 12,993
giphy.gif

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #10,445 of 12,993
I'm looking for something with insane bass, but that still has good mids. Any suggestions? I'm talking like, I want to turn on some Travis Scott or Whiz Kalifa and have my body shake. I wanna feel like I'm being attacked by someone, or in an explosion. But I also want to be able to listen to some lyric based or more pop/rock songs and actually hear the mids and such, or the actual lyrics within the rap song, and not be overly muddy. For context, I listened to the ATH-M50x's and they had fantastic mids to me. Have to be closed and comfortable. Any ideas?
What you want is the M-Audio Q40 if you can find one. Pretty intense low end, but the other frequencies don't disappear. They're the bassiest cans I own, and they can thump. I'm sure there are some even more bass heavy bass cannons out there

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #10,447 of 12,993

Step 1: Go to the Original Post located HERE. That list was assembled from OP and others trying out a massive amount of headphones for bass and isn't a guide to just some bassy headphones, it's the definitive list of head pounders.

Step 2: Pick one of the top 5 headphones that interest you and buy it.

Step 3: Have an amp capable of putting some decent juice through your new headphones.

Step 4: Do NOT be afraid of EQ, you will need it to get to the level of bass you're asking for as well as bring mids up to your liking. I have the JVC HA-SZ2000 (#1 on the list) and I have no problems listening to any type of music on them because they are some of the most responsive to EQ I've owned.

Hope that helps.

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #10,449 of 12,993
Oh yea. I'm in that thread where 1000's of man hours and dollars were spent compiling list of the hardest hitting cans in the universe. Every now and then someone stops by and ask for a rec on some earth shattering bass cans, and then others come in a rec stuff that isn't on the list.

Got it now...phew. Was lost for a second.

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #10,451 of 12,993
Buy the Fostex th900mk2 and iFi Micro Black Label.. Problem solved.

yup - do this. again if you want to shake stuff - buy a 2.1 system.

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #10,453 of 12,993
I went and demod the svs PB16 Ultra the other day... It shakes good! :beerchug:

lol yes, I have a SB16 Ultra paired with my ULTRA Bookshelves. good stuff! I live in an apartment so my sub gain is set to -16db, it still shakes everything. :gs1000smile:

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #10,454 of 12,993
lol yes, I have a SB16 Ultra paired with my ULTRA Bookshelves. good stuff! I live in an apartment so my sub gain is set to -16db, it still shakes everything. :gs1000smile:
I wanted the paradigm 2000sw, but I can't get it locally anymore :frowning2: I'm currently running a Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra, it's pretty awesome but there's always an itch to scratch.

The SB16 Ultra is tempting as well though, as I mostly listen to music and I imagine it being non ported makes it tighter

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #10,455 of 12,993
Thanks to audio forums like this I ended buying an HSU VTF-3 MK3 with the Turbo add-on several years ago and discovered what bass is suppose to sound like, I had been running a Cerwin Vega CLS-15S sub prior and at the time thought it sounded good but man it was absolute garbage compared to the HSU lol.

Attachments

• Sub_Sideshotr.jpg
    Sub_Sideshotr.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MK3 Turbor.jpg
    MK3 Turbor.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back