The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #10,351 of 12,991
The future is now.
It's back on #1

Did side by side test and Kannon can give tactile feel to apprx same level but the air pressure change and other dynamic driver putting in work side effects make it necessary to return it to the throne

This. This makes my heart happy. The King is back where he belongs!

conor-mcgregor-hoodie-sayings-king-back-fleece-sweatshirt-for-men-xxxl166283.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #10,352 of 12,991
The SZ2000's are simply insane!! My pair made me laugh like a mad nutter every time I pushed big bass tracks though them when amped well :D

I overall do enjoy my Fostex th900mk2 more though, I'm drooling in anticipation in more power being fed to them

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #10,353 of 12,991
Did side by side test and Kannon can give tactile feel to apprx same level but the air pressure change and other dynamic driver putting in work side effects make it necessary to return it to the throne

I've heard people say that the Kannons don't sound very realistic on a lot of songs. They've said you can feel the vibration, but without the air pressure change that makes the music seem real.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #10,354 of 12,991
You are spot on that the iDSD is out if you want to walk around with the amp strapped to your phone in your pocket. Unless you have lots of cargo pants, lol. If I were you, I'd go with the Cayin C5, it's 1.6W@32ohm. The Kann, even in balanced, which is it's most powerful output is roughly 1w@32ohm. Not to mention there is a bit of a price difference between the two.

I've just purchased a Cayin C5 from Ebay .. now to wait a few days / a week for it to arrive from Australia to New Zealand. Hopefully it pairs okay with my TH900's :D

I guess I'm a little concerned as the C5 is mostly an amp, however the Oppo HA-2 has a better dac? I'm fairly new to all of this, and hopefully I haven't traded power vs quality too much! If there was a better "quality" option that delivers the power I'm after I'm happy to put the c5 down to learning experience :O however this is a basshead thread, so kind of a moot point to discuss here.

You want REAL power? Get the Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo or Duo II! Real power, with a 15 dB bass boost centered at 18 hz for the Duo, 12 dB for the Duo II. I think even Vorzuge thought the first one had too much of a bass boost. I have black label, xduoo xd05, fiio q5 (very good), Dacamp L1 (good bass dial but boost isn’t centered as low as Vorzuge).

I've looked at the specs of these, even the Duo II "only" puts out 320.0 mW x2 @ 32 Ω.. the price difference between that and the Cayin C5 putting out more than double the power at roughly 1/4 or less of the price is a tough sell.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #10,355 of 12,991
I've just purchased a Cayin C5 from Ebay .. now to wait a few days / a week for it to arrive from Australia to New Zealand. Hopefully it pairs okay with my TH900's :D

I guess I'm a little concerned as the C5 is mostly an amp, however the Oppo HA-2 has a better dac? I'm fairly new to all of this, and hopefully I haven't traded power vs quality too much! If there was a better "quality" option that delivers the power I'm after I'm happy to put the c5 down to learning experience :O however this is a basshead thread, so kind of a moot point to discuss here.

I've looked at the specs of these, even the Duo II "only" puts out 320.0 mW x2 @ 32 Ω.. the price difference between that and the Cayin C5 putting out more than double the power at roughly 1/4 or less of the price is a tough sell.

There’s a reason why it costs more. It sounds better than any amp I have, and is built better too. The bass boost is the best I’ve ever heard.

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #10,356 of 12,991

See, I don't think this is the case. I think it's possible to have great bass and great overall sound at the same time. I liked the iDSD for that, and I absolutely love my current combo of Topping D30 DAC and Garage1217 Project Polaris amp. Granted that is my desktop setup, I'm just saying that great bass doesn't have to mean less of a quality option. Congrats on the C5.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #10,357 of 12,991
There’s a reason why it costs more. It sounds better than any amp I have, and is built better too. The bass boost is the best I’ve ever heard.
Eek! Hopefully I'll still be impressed with the c5 :xf_eek:
Although regarding the bass boost, I've read great things about the c5, and with the extra headroom I'll gain from the power, I should be able to EQ a fairly massive slam that far outweighs whatever advantage the HA-2 may have in that regard I feel.

See, I don't think this is the case. I think it's possible to have great bass and great overall sound at the same time. I liked the iDSD for that, and I absolutely love my current combo of Topping D30 DAC and Garage1217 Project Polaris amp. Granted that is my desktop setup, I'm just saying that great bass doesn't have to mean less of a quality option. Congrats on the C5.
Fair comment :) I guess the portable world is far different... You know maybe I'll have to find a way to transport the iDSD with me as a portable player, I really would like to maintain the wonderful quality these TH900s are clearly capable of, and from what I understand it would make a reasonable desktop dac/amp setup too, I'm unlikely to invest in anything better for home use as I don't really have noise restrictions and use my speaker setup at home, but it would be nice to make these cans release some more goodness :D

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #10,358 of 12,991
I've heard people say that the Kannons don't sound very realistic on a lot of songs. They've said you can feel the vibration, but without the air pressure change that makes the music seem real.

Exactly ! I don't care about JVC but i was mad to see the kannons at #1 cause it doesn't deserve it although the technology is great..........It's too bad JVC never wanted to make money by creating the best sounding basshead cans by just upgrading the SZ2000........sometimes i really don't understand how brands work.............You create that headphones, make advertise with any of the actual famouse hiphop rappers and voila !

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #10,359 of 12,991
Exactly !It's too bad JVC never wanted to make money by creating the best sounding basshead cans by just upgrading the SZ2000........sometimes i really don't understand how brands work.

Yeah, it's really crazy how none of the brands seem interested in making a headphone with the sub-bass sensitivity of the SZ2000, but also with the sound quality, portability, durability, power handling, and X-max of the M-100. V-Moda disappointed me a year ago with the release of their CF2Ws, which apparently have less sensitivity (overall and in sub-bass) than the M-100. From what I've read, the CF2Ws have better sound quality without using an EQ, compared to the M-100 without an EQ. But with proper EQ'ing, the M-100 is probably a lot better.

The standards that brands should be pursuing at this point in time, in my opinion...are the following:

1. How can we take the sub-bass sensitivity of the SZ2000, and make it sound a million times better in the mids & highs? How can we make it portable with no physical modding required, and also include a detachable cable and small carrying case to go with it?

2. How can we take the M-100, and significantly increase the sensitivity, the power handling, and the X-max -- all while maintaining the overall sound quality?

I don't know what the negligent headphone companies are thinking, here. :confused: :confounded:

Anyway, as for the Kannons, they seem like they also have issues with both portability and ease of use when walking outdoors while carrying an umbrella or a handbag.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #10,360 of 12,991
Hello everyone, I've been having a blast with the SZ2000, but I'm having a bit of a problem that seems to be PC specific. I can't get the SZ's to do this on android, it seems to be a buzzing sound shortly after playback. I have the iDSD Black Label, and if I set it to turbo it does this. Anyone have a clue to what could be causing this? These are the Equalizer APO settings I'm using:
Preamp -24
25hz 15db
3hz 5db
50hz 18db
Notice how the light blinks/dims on the iDSD
I'm relatively new here, but for now this is what I'm using. Sorry for the video quality.
Starts at 0:29

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #10,361 of 12,991
Yeah, it's really crazy how none of the brands seem interested in making a headphone with the sub-bass sensitivity of the SZ2000, but also with the sound quality, portability, durability, power handling, and X-max of the M-100. V-Moda disappointed me a year ago with the release of their CF2Ws, which apparently have less sensitivity (overall and in sub-bass) than the M-100. From what I've read, the CF2Ws have better sound quality without using an EQ, compared to the M-100 without an EQ. But with proper EQ'ing, the M-100 is probably a lot better.

The standards that brands should be pursuing at this point in time, in my opinion...are the following:

1. How can we take the sub-bass sensitivity of the SZ2000, and make it sound a million times better in the mids & highs? How can we make it portable with no physical modding required, and also include a detachable cable and small carrying case to go with it?

2. How can we take the M-100, and significantly increase the sensitivity, the power handling, and the X-max -- all while maintaining the overall sound quality?

I don't know what the negligent headphone companies are thinking, here. :confused: :confounded:

Anyway, as for the Kannons, they seem like they also have issues with both portability and ease of use when walking outdoors while carrying an umbrella or a handbag.

The sub bass of the sz2000 but with better mids and highs? Why that’s the RBH sound HP2. Hard to find now but I believe the M Audio beryllium headphones with Bluetooth are the same. At CanJam, the guy at M audios booth said they were the next iteration of that driver. They are on Amazon, pretty cheap too. Best/deepest bass I’ve ever heard.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #10,362 of 12,991
What EQ / player are people using on Android these days?

I'm waiting in my Cayin c5 to arrive, got impatient so picked up a Chord Mojo from a retailer across country, and I'm going to demo an ifi Idsd Black Label (maybe I'll get bigger pockets) in the weekend? I might just own them all.

I've got an unrooted Samsung s8+, I'm thinking PowerAmp + Viper4android? Or are there better alternatives.

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #10,363 of 12,991
The sub bass of the sz2000 but with better mids and highs? Why that’s the RBH sound HP2. Hard to find now but I believe the M Audio beryllium headphones with Bluetooth are the same. At CanJam, the guy at M audios booth said they were the next iteration of that driver. They are on Amazon, pretty cheap too. Best/deepest bass I’ve ever heard.

I have both the RBH HP2 and the M&O and they’re very similar, but the RBH is a little more bass heavy.

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #10,364 of 12,991
What EQ / player are people using on Android these days?

I'm waiting in my Cayin c5 to arrive, got impatient so picked up a Chord Mojo from a retailer across country, and I'm going to demo an ifi Idsd Black Label (maybe I'll get bigger pockets) in the weekend? I might just own them all.

I've got an unrooted Samsung s8+, I'm thinking PowerAmp + Viper4android? Or are there better alternatives.

Thanks!

Neutron music player is what I use. It has a built-in up to 30 band parametric EQ and plays any file you throw at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back