The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #10,336 of 12,963
Glad to see i'm not the only one...................i didn't take time to point out things like you did but i experienced the same............exactly the same...........

This Kannons experience made me realize the TOP 10 BASS is maybe not that accurate.............i had the same experience with IEMs........I had bought ASG 2.5 as it was one of the best bass IEM from what people said........was a huge deception ! It was nice for everything above 40hz............below that 40hz, everything was weaker than even a Shure SE215 which isn't in the list at all.............. The idea of paper test is wonderful ! However we should have decided together to choose i kind of reference listening song or sound. Lots of guys think Wiz Khalifa - On my Level song is enough to measure a basshead ! It' s not ! It doesn't go down enough in the subfrequencies to really see what the headphone can achieve ! Again i repeat myself, but IMO being able to reproduce every little sound frequency is way more important than being good in only some.......... The big problem i guess is people's ego......anyway i Hope to see Kannons V2

After a weekend of playing with Kannons, my opinion of them has improved massively. The drawbacks I highlighted in my initial observations are still there, but the important improvement for me is that they seem to be happening less and less. I no longer have to adjust the levels for every track and I am finding far more tracks where the Kannon-effect adds to the experience rather than taking away from it.

For some tracks, better low bass response from the acoustic driver would definitely improve things further. I have been listening to the 'Torque' album by Ed Rush & Optical and one of the tracks has obviously got a really low bassline in the introduction that I have never really heard before. I still can't hear it properly with the Kannons, but the tactile driver picks it up and the headphones are shaking away madly even though I can barely hear anything. Once the main bassline kicks in properly, everything snaps back into line and sounds/feels great.

I'll continue testing with these, but they are definitely moving up in my estimation rather than down.

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #10,337 of 12,963
After a weekend of playing with Kannons, my opinion of them has improved massively. The drawbacks I highlighted in my initial observations are still there, but the important improvement for me is that they seem to be happening less and less. I no longer have to adjust the levels for every track and I am finding far more tracks where the Kannon-effect adds to the experience rather than taking away from it.

For some tracks, better low bass response from the acoustic driver would definitely improve things further. I have been listening to the 'Torque' album by Ed Rush & Optical and one of the tracks has obviously got a really low bassline in the introduction that I have never really heard before. I still can't hear it properly with the Kannons, but the tactile driver picks it up and the headphones are shaking away madly even though I can barely hear anything. Once the main bassline kicks in properly, everything snaps back into line and sounds/feels great.

I'll continue testing with these, but they are definitely moving up in my estimation rather than down.

Exactly the same hapenned for me as well. They remain great headphones ! And depending of the music you're listening most people will be pleased

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #10,338 of 12,963
Paper Test says:

Its funny but i remember the penny tests, paper bits test, and ofc the famous paper test.

It does work to some degree with eq boosts (or cuts as some like to say)

Although there could be a better way, the paper test is tried and tested.

What do you think we should do if not the paper test?

:D

I gotta ...I get a kick out of folks.
Genuine awe

You folks have any idea how much money it cost 2 people to
buy and test all the rumored cans
and buy the same source,
same amp ,
use the same track
with same settings confirmed via vids back and forth

That was a ton of cash and a ton of time and the DT770 and Sone Pro 900 or Denon D5k are no longer pimped off to unknowing bassheads looking for a hit not realizing it is an audiophile doing the rec.

Your welcome.
This thread was a battle thread and was so rocking it was moved from the lounge forum to this forum and we got about a million views.
Biggest basshead thread on the internet and viewed by plenty car audio folks who are like me and know what multi 15's doing strokes at an IASCA event is like. Cuz I did it...they did too.

Only thread that has 2 people who are 8+ year members and commented one time in 8 and 9 years...1 time. Saying thanks for a show me or piss off thread....never happens in this hobby of fairy tales and hype.

I was an SZ man and CB was a XB1000 guy. We agreed to let the drivers max out and the paper

Drivers talk big dreamers walk.....do not much else.

Make a plan ...get a partner...gotta be confirmed or it aint legit...then get the gear, then test em, then compare, then come back and drop a link to that thread. I'll be the first to praise since I know how hard it is.

Good luck.

EDIT:

I ate a sandwich and felt better.

If the Kannon are agreed by multiple members to not be worthy of being on the list then speak up and suggest an alternate. I am not God...I just feel like one...I don't have an ego....I have a super ego but.....this list is run by my better half so make the suggests and let the Kannon fall where they may

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #10,339 of 12,963
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #10,340 of 12,963
:frowning2: ouch.. I'm getting a prenup when/if my girlfriend get married, I've already discussed that with her due to our earning differences.. Cruel but sometimes you have to look after #1.

Hopefully you have something else now :)

Oh no doubt! My new wife is much more understanding (and a lot less crazy...). I now have a dedicated room for my shenanigans and my system has never sounded better.

I hadn't thought about a prenup... :thinking:

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #10,341 of 12,963
I couldn't resist trying these out. I have got Kannons coming as well, but I don't think they will be that portable.

I have been using B&W PX for 'non-bassy' listening just through my iPhone and I have got used to using wireless and the on/off wear sensor when travelling. The Nuraphone looks like it will be convenient in a similar way, so I am hoping they might be my portable Kannons. I'll update when they arrive.

I have finally managed to unbox these and first impressions are pretty good.

They don't hit as hard as the Kannons, but they play very well just out of my iPhone where the Kannons need the power from my Cayin C5. A few observations:

1. The marketing bit is a bit ridiculous - the uncalibrated sound is that of a cheap £10 headphone and then you press the button to activate the personal sound and it is magically much better. That kind of put me off a bit, but I got past it!

2. They are not as uncomfortable as I was expecting, but it is weird having the earbuds in an over-ear headphone. This will be a deal breaker for some, but I think I can live with it.

3. The set up app is kind of neat and was fairly consistent between the two profiles I set up.

4. The sound seems good, but quite bass-light without the immersion mode on.

5. The immersion mode works a bit like the Kannons, but clearly amplifies the bass you can hear as well as just the haptic driver. This means that it just sounds far too overblown as you turn it up towards the front row. The Kannon 'Taction' control doesn't colour the sound at all, but this does. Still, I am listening to some drum and bass with the 'immersion slider just over halfway and that sounds great - just not quite the same as the Kannons!

Overall, I can see myself keeping these if the comfort turns out to be ok. It is quite handy to have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I can just take out and about with just my iPhone and still get some of the effect of the Kannons.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #10,342 of 12,963
What's up fellow bassheads,

Just thought I'd mention that I've finally posted a new topic thread for the latest Version 5.0 of my illustrious EQ presets on my Rockboxed iPod Classic.

You can view the new thread at this link.

There's two sets: one with 611 EQ presets, and the other with 606. With all the bass boosts and everything combined in my portable headphone system, these can boost 40 Hz by up to 62 dB (and possibly more), while sounding crisp, clear, and detailed at the same time when choosing a suitable preset for the song that's playing.

I also posted a short new 4-minute video on Vimeo, announcing this latest version and showing some of the updated screen menus on my iPod:

(On the Vimeo page, click the tab under the video that says, "Read more," to view all the web links, etc. These links should be clickable.)

There's also my original 43-minute video, detailing my EQ presets and portable headphone system:

This video was made in June 2016 and showcases a previous version: Version 4.0.

Anyway, I had a great time on my visit to the U.S. last year (in June 2017) while attending Head-Fi's New York Spring Meetup. (Click here for photos of the event, and of the table where I showed off the dual-listening setup of my portable headphone system with Version 4.1.)

Everyone who had a chance to hear it was really impressed -- including Jude Mansilla!

Oh well,...have fun. :thumbsup:

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #10,343 of 12,963
Hey all ... I've decided I need more power for my portable setup .. Currently I'm using the following

Source : Samsung S8+
DAC/AMP : Oppo HA-2
Headphones : Fostex TH900mk2

Oppo specs .. (300 mW into 16 Ohm, 220 mW into 32 Ohm, 30 mW into 300 Ohm)

The headphones are relatively easy to drive as they're 25ohm, but I think sometimes im a bit of a power freak, where to from here? I really do like the bass boost feature on the Oppo

Cayin C5 ?
I'd prefer to be able to fit it in my pocket strapped to my phone, so I think that rules out the iDSD micro Black

My local hifi store advised I buy an Astell & Kern Kann, but i'm not sure how much power they output, and as most of my listening is done out walking, its kind of hard to get a real world test as they will only let me borrow it for an hour'ish out and about (understandable!)

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #10,344 of 12,963
Hey all ... I've decided I need more power for my portable setup .. Currently I'm using the following

The headphones are relatively easy to drive as they're 25ohm, but I think sometimes im a bit of a power freak, where to from here? I really do like the bass boost feature on the Oppo

Cayin C5 ?
I'd prefer to be able to fit it in my pocket strapped to my phone, so I think that rules out the iDSD micro Black

My local hifi store advised I buy an Astell & Kern Kann, but i'm not sure how much power they output, and as most of my listening is done out walking, its kind of hard to get a real world test as they will only let me borrow it for an hour'ish out and about (understandable!)

You are spot on that the iDSD is out if you want to walk around with the amp strapped to your phone in your pocket. Unless you have lots of cargo pants, lol. If I were you, I'd go with the Cayin C5, it's 1.6W@32ohm. The Kann, even in balanced, which is it's most powerful output is roughly 1w@32ohm. Not to mention there is a bit of a price difference between the two.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #10,345 of 12,963

Cayin C5 ?

You want REAL power? Get the Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo or Duo II! Real power, with a 15 dB bass boost centered at 18 hz for the Duo, 12 dB for the Duo II. I think even Vorzuge thought the first one had too much of a bass boost. I have black label, xduoo xd05, fiio q5 (very good), Dacamp L1 (good bass dial but boost isn’t centered as low as Vorzuge).

Mar 25, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #10,346 of 12,963
You want REAL power? Get the Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo or Duo II! Real power, with a 15 dB bass boost centered at 18 hz for the Duo, 12 dB for the Duo II. I think even Vorzuge thought the first one had too much of a bass boost. I have black label, xduoo xd05, fiio q5 (very good), Dacamp L1 (good bass dial but boost isn’t centered as low as Vorzuge).

Wow, that is a significant bass boost on the Duo. But unless I'm googling wrong, the amp itself it not very powerful.

19.60 mW x2 Load of 8 Ω

39.20 mW x2 Load of 16 Ω

49.00 mW x2 Load of 20 Ω

40.83 mW x2 Load of 24 Ω

30.63 mW x2 Load of 32 Ω

15.31 mW x2 Load of 64 Ω

8.17 mW x2 Load of 120 Ω

3.27 mW x2 Load of 300 Ω

Mar 25, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #10,347 of 12,963
Wow, that is a significant bass boost on the Duo. But unless I'm googling wrong, the amp itself it not very powerful.

19.60 mW x2 Load of 8 Ω

39.20 mW x2 Load of 16 Ω

49.00 mW x2 Load of 20 Ω

40.83 mW x2 Load of 24 Ω

30.63 mW x2 Load of 32 Ω

15.31 mW x2 Load of 64 Ω

8.17 mW x2 Load of 120 Ω

3.27 mW x2 Load of 300 Ω

The Duo is really for iems, the Duo II, is for headphones. I have both and had no problem powering any of my headphones with either.

Mar 25, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #10,349 of 12,963
So, I've had the SZ2K for a while now and really was not all that impressed. Granted, I did not amp it to suggested levels, but I thought it should at least sound nice through my sources (see profile if interested). I needed an amp for my desk top as not all of my headphones can reach my Yamaha integrated, which is doing all of my digital conversion up to DSD. I got a Fiio A5, connected it to the "record out" channels of my amp and placed it on my desk. I listened to it though my AKG 7XX. Good sound? Check. High gain? Check. Bass boost? Meh, not bad. I dug up my SZ's for grins and... "Holy Hammer of the Gods, Batman!" Cueing up some bass heavy tracks and the SZ's were giggling maniacally in their Kids in the Hall Voice, "I'm crushing your head. I'm crushing your head!" Sweet - all hail the once and future king!
IMG_2254.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back