The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 8, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #10,321 of 12,992
Guys i have both M100 and SZ2000. Had Kannons and was very disappointed. I'm not pretending i'm more basshead than you guys but like you i love bass and true full bass. At home i'm listening to music with a SVS PB16 Ultra subwoofer. what i was saying is that in terms of frequencies reproduction i find the m100 better than the kannons in subbass. But then i know lots of people don't listen to songs which have emphasis on the 20hz-40hz range so they may never be able to realize some headphones can't reach certain frequencies....................anyway i'm glad for those happy with kannons . I simply wanted to share in case someone looking for some powerful deep subbass to listen to the HUNCHO JACK album (Travis Scott & Quavo) in the best conditions ever !! The producer Murda on the beatz uses subpac when producing beats. You definitely need something that can dig in the lowest tones to enjoy it and listen to at as it was meant to be heared
Sounds like you need to give Sony MDR.Z7 a listen.. 70mm driver and I believe goes down to somewhere in the 1 hz region. I auditioned them and they were awesome :wink:

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #10,322 of 12,992
Actually I wouldn't say anything compares to the SZ2000s. Kings of bass for sure. Ridiculously addictive, but at volumes that will destroy you physically if gone on for too long. Reminds me of standing directly in front of the PA speakers at a show. Awesome!

Now that the sz2ks are in the crazy $$$ range, I gues the sz1k is the way to go. Also xb1k + HM5,sheepskin is not bass shy and not too crazy at $300- $350ish. Cheapest Sony 70mm with sheepskin and I wouldn't be surprised if they have the hardest low end with that "Xtra Bass" statement :D

To me xb1k + HM5 'feels' more bassy than sz1k, and thats what HBB list shows anyway. :)

Also, I had an idea for those iem + over ear headphones idea in my head, and then heard about those nuro headphones like weeks after. I laughed at the idea i thought i came up with. Can't believe they exist. :xf_eek:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #10,323 of 12,992
I need some headphones with good bass but also to be as clear and good as possible from other ranges too.
So far TH-X00 seems to be best bet for that price, anything else that is even better at that price or is that what I should get?
E-MU Teak also seems nice but after researching it seems TH-X00 is better for me from those 2.

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #10,324 of 12,992
hnnnnnnnngh ... The Eagle has landed

lslh4jhg.2oa.png

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #10,325 of 12,992
Guys i have both M100 and SZ2000. Had Kannons and was very disappointed. I'm not pretending i'm more basshead than you guys but like you i love bass and true full bass. At home i'm listening to music with a SVS PB16 Ultra subwoofer. what i was saying is that in terms of frequencies reproduction i find the m100 better than the kannons in subbass. But then i know lots of people don't listen to songs which have emphasis on the 20hz-40hz range so they may never be able to realize some headphones can't reach certain frequencies....................anyway i'm glad for those happy with kannons . I simply wanted to share in case someone looking for some powerful deep subbass to listen to the HUNCHO JACK album (Travis Scott & Quavo) in the best conditions ever !! The producer Murda on the beatz uses subpac when producing beats. You definitely need something that can dig in the lowest tones to enjoy it and listen to at as it was meant to be heared

I have just got my Kannons and I must admit I am disappointed after the first few hours with them.

When I have (rarely) got everything dialled in correctly they are really excellent, but that hasn't happened that often so far. My observations so far:

1. I find that I need to adjust the balance between the source volume, the Kannons acoustic volume and the Kannons Taction volume for almost every single track that I listen to. The balance that sounds good for one track could sound fairly ridiculous on the next.

2. The tactile element doesn't always do what I expect it to. I was listening to a drum and bass track this morning and one of the sharp drum beats caused massive vibration while the deep rolling bassline didn't even register.

3. They are very power hungry. My Oppo HA-2 doesn't do a very good job with these, but my Cayin C5 is fine.

4. I have used quite a few tactile transducers in my home cinema set up and I find all too often that the Kannons sound like my setup when tactile transducer had been plugged in, but the subwoofer itself is off. If you can feel the bass, but not hear enough of it, then the tactile effect is too obvious and doesn't 'trick' your brain into thinking you are hearing deep bass.

5. The tactile effect can often be quite slow, like a subwoofer playing out of time with the music. I think that this is linked to the point above.

I'll definitely persevere with these. I like the technology, I just can't help thinking that they haven't chosen the right headphone to attach it to.

If I can't get any more universal settings working, I'll probably start building up several playlists of tracks that I know work well with them and keep adding to it.

Overall, it feels like these will become an addition to my arsenal of basshead headphones rather than being the endgame I was hoping for.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #10,328 of 12,992
Thanks! Given this thread I guess I should have posed them next to the velodyne subwoofer! I do absolutely love my Paradigm Studio 60s though, I've owned them for 5 years, and every day they bring a grin to my face :)

Sweet! I had a pair of Studio 100 V2s and loved them. They were children of a divorce and rather than split them up, let the ex take custody...

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #10,329 of 12,992
Sweet! I had a pair of Studio 100 V2s and loved them. They were children of a divorce and rather than split them up, let the ex take custody...

:frowning2: ouch.. I'm getting a prenup when/if my girlfriend get married, I've already discussed that with her due to our earning differences.. Cruel but sometimes you have to look after #1.

Hopefully you have something else now :)

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #10,330 of 12,992
For the guys that had the pleasure to test and compare, what are the difference in overall SQ and bass between the Fostex th-xoo and the Kannons? More bass for the Kannons but more SQ for the Fostex? Price is the same...

Mar 12, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #10,332 of 12,992
I have just got my Kannons and I must admit I am disappointed after the first few hours with them.

When I have (rarely) got everything dialled in correctly they are really excellent, but that hasn't happened that often so far. My observations so far:

1. I find that I need to adjust the balance between the source volume, the Kannons acoustic volume and the Kannons Taction volume for almost every single track that I listen to. The balance that sounds good for one track could sound fairly ridiculous on the next.

2. The tactile element doesn't always do what I expect it to. I was listening to a drum and bass track this morning and one of the sharp drum beats caused massive vibration while the deep rolling bassline didn't even register.

3. They are very power hungry. My Oppo HA-2 doesn't do a very good job with these, but my Cayin C5 is fine.

4. I have used quite a few tactile transducers in my home cinema set up and I find all too often that the Kannons sound like my setup when tactile transducer had been plugged in, but the subwoofer itself is off. If you can feel the bass, but not hear enough of it, then the tactile effect is too obvious and doesn't 'trick' your brain into thinking you are hearing deep bass.

5. The tactile effect can often be quite slow, like a subwoofer playing out of time with the music. I think that this is linked to the point above.

I'll definitely persevere with these. I like the technology, I just can't help thinking that they haven't chosen the right headphone to attach it to.

If I can't get any more universal settings working, I'll probably start building up several playlists of tracks that I know work well with them and keep adding to it.

Overall, it feels like these will become an addition to my arsenal of basshead headphones rather than being the endgame I was hoping for.

Glad to see i'm not the only one...................i didn't take time to point out things like you did but i experienced the same............exactly the same...........

This Kannons experience made me realize the TOP 10 BASS is maybe not that accurate.............i had the same experience with IEMs........I had bought ASG 2.5 as it was one of the best bass IEM from what people said........was a huge deception ! It was nice for everything above 40hz............below that 40hz, everything was weaker than even a Shure SE215 which isn't in the list at all.............. The idea of paper test is wonderful ! However we should have decided together to choose i kind of reference listening song or sound. Lots of guys think Wiz Khalifa - On my Level song is enough to measure a basshead ! It' s not ! It doesn't go down enough in the subfrequencies to really see what the headphone can achieve ! Again i repeat myself, but IMO being able to reproduce every little sound frequency is way more important than being good in only some.......... The big problem i guess is people's ego......anyway i Hope to see Kannons V2

Mar 12, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #10,334 of 12,992
Glad to see i'm not the only one...................i didn't take time to point out things like you did but i experienced the same............exactly the same...........

This Kannons experience made me realize the TOP 10 BASS is maybe not that accurate.............i had the same experience with IEMs........I had bought ASG 2.5 as it was one of the best bass IEM from what people said........was a huge deception ! It was nice for everything above 40hz............below that 40hz, everything was weaker than even a Shure SE215 which isn't in the list at all.............. The idea of paper test is wonderful ! However we should have decided together to choose i kind of reference listening song or sound. Lots of guys think Wiz Khalifa - On my Level song is enough to measure a basshead ! It' s not ! It doesn't go down enough in the subfrequencies to really see what the headphone can achieve ! Again i repeat myself, but IMO being able to reproduce every little sound frequency is way more important than being good in only some.......... The big problem i guess is people's ego......anyway i Hope to see Kannons V2

Paper Test says:
Untitled.png

Its funny but i remember the penny tests, paper bits test, and ofc the famous paper test.

It does work to some degree with eq boosts (or cuts as some like to say)

Although there could be a better way, the paper test is tried and tested.

What do you think we should do if not the paper test?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back