The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 30, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #9,841 of 12,992
@snellemin So sorry to hear about your loss. Please PM me your temporary address and I will send you the AudioQuest DragonFly Red I have up for sale at the moment and replace your pair of Sony MDR-V6. It's not much, but at hopefully give you something to enjoy during this difficult time. God bless.

That is an awesome offer! I don't have a temporary address at all. However, I would have to decline on this great gesture, as I won't have time to enjoy it anytime soon. I still have my Icarus III that I just got and my V20 phone. That will have to do for the meantime.

Rebuilding is priority right now and hoping no looters hit my house right now. These idiots are in full effect a few miles around my house. Latest pics shows my street is still flooded, but looks like the water is out of my house. I have no clue what the insurance or fema is going to do for me. I had no flood insurance, as I was in a 500 year flood zone. Well this is a 1000 year flood and nobody is going to be prepared for this one.
My other friends that were safe the whole time, are getting flooded out now. Sad part is, they can't go anywhere really.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #9,843 of 12,992
What EQ software do you guys recommend? I recently bought a pair of Fostex TH-610's to try out, and I definitely feel the bass needs to be boosted. Looking for software mainly for windows, but any suggestions for iOS would be appreciated too.

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #9,844 of 12,992
What EQ software do you guys recommend? I recently bought a pair of Fostex TH-610's to try out, and I definitely feel the bass needs to be boosted. Looking for software mainly for windows, but any suggestions for iOS would be appreciated too.
Peters Equalizer APO aka PEACE.

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #9,845 of 12,992
giphy.gif

The KANNON is coming

Bassheads who want tactile slam and good response overall might wanna wait before pulling triggers on new purchases. This thing has UNICORN written all over it.

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #9,846 of 12,992
Peters Equalizer APO aka PEACE.
Thanks for the reply, I downloaded the EQ you recommened. Could you tell me what you have everything set to? I don't have any experience with EQ, and so far all I've manged to do is make the music sound worse.

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #9,847 of 12,992
Thanks for the reply, I downloaded the EQ you recommened. Could you tell me what you have everything set to? I don't have any experience with EQ, and so far all I've manged to do is make the music sound worse.
I rarely use it now, try the presets and make sure your not clicking,

Sep 6, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #9,848 of 12,992
giphy.gif

The KANNON is coming

Bassheads who want tactile slam and good response overall might wanna wait before pulling triggers on new purchases. This thing has UNICORN written all over it.
I was just wondering whatever happened to these? In the interest of traveling lite, I wonder how these will fare blow that purple are rolling with Bluetooth?

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #9,849 of 12,992
I was just wondering whatever happened to these? In the interest of traveling lite, I wonder how these will fare blow that purple are rolling with Bluetooth?

Purple people?
I'm listening to the Beatles right now too:metal:

Honestly I won't know till try but they can probably work for anyone except folks who insist on wireless

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #9,853 of 12,992

Had a tough time grasping this so I'll pass on what I've learned over the years about EQ'ing.

INTERFACE

Gain Value: The amount you're trying to boost (shown in decibels)
Quality: Bandwidth of a particular signal. This is easier to understand if you're looking at the graph. Lower Q value = wider bandwidth, you can mess around by changing this number to see how it changes the sound.
Filter: I mainly use peak filter and low/high shelf filter. and in most cases you will too. You can google the different types of filters and what they do.

I only EQ based on the 3 instances below,

1. Sibilance
  2. Recessed mids (bass can's kryptonite)
  3. Dat bass doe

Disclaimer
: Most of the time you're better off finding headphones that fit the sound signature you want rather than trying to over-EQ a pair you don't like (Unless you're EQ'ing for skull shattering bass, which has its own hardware requirements).

Before you go about EQ'ing, you should ask yourself what about the music you want to change. Moreover, it also depends on the specific track as well, for example:
  • if I am trying to boost sub-bass for electronic / hiphop, I try to raise only sub bass so the signal sounds clean. (20 hz, 40 hz, 80 hz are the frequencies I experiment with when EQ'ing for bass thump)
  • If I feel that the sound needs a little warmth and smoothness I'll boost around 100 hz - 200 hz.
  • If I want to hear better male vocals, in your face guitar rifts, I'll boost around 4 khz.
  • If I am hearing sibilance, I'll cut anywhere between 6 khz - 10 khz.
Make sure you boost 1db at a time so you don't potentially damage your headphones.

Additionally, looking at the frequency graph from the headphone's manufacturer also helps you to zero in on the irregularity you're hearing.

Pre-amp (located on top left of the app) will mitigate clipping so make sure to set this below 0 by a factor of the highest signal boost (if you boosted 3 db at 40 hz, you would have to set the pre-amp to -3). Under the Effects button, you can click on that little graph picture to show you the graphical representation of the EQ. It helps correctly setting the pre-amp (make sure the frequency graph is on or below the y-axis at 0.)

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Refer to the link above and you can start experimenting. EQ'ing on this particular thread is a little bit different as you will be feeding more power via and chaining different gear to achieve the kind of bass we like around here (not to mention, to EQ for extreme bass, you will need a beefy amp with a lot of headroom to sound good without clipping).

Few tips:
  • Look into subtractive equalizing (cut, rather than boosting) to clean up the sound. This is the best method if you want to preserve the headphone's signature with lots of info on how if you google.
  • You can right click on the filter button to turn that signal off, sometimes helps if you have different presets for different tracks for the same headphone.
  • Remember that you can only do so much, some headphones just aren't made for some tracks/genres. Make sure your source is good, and not all tracks are made equal.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #9,854 of 12,992
Picked up the Focal Elears from Moon Audio. I read they can take a lot of eq in the bass without distortion. I have them on my Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo right now, and let me tell you, they can take eq. These, and surprisingly, the Telefunken Aqusta, can take some bass boost. The Elears aren't burnt in yet but they still sound incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back