The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 21, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #8,176 of 12,975
Mmmm all this car amp to headphones talk, sounds dangerously fun.

Was cleaning out my closet and found an oldschool RF55.2. Maybe i;ll play with it down the line as i have a 12v converter from hooking up spl car subs in house to a 2.1 system

Anyway,

I tried TP (1 sheet rolled up) and stuffed inside earpads of the sz1k, and it did make them slightly more comfy as the ears touching the driver did bug me a little.

Then...

I tried TP (2 sheet rolled) like a cylinder and stuffed into 1k pads and Verrryyy Niccceee. Very comfy through a movie, no excessive adjustments.

Maybe it was mentioned b4 dont know dont know. Just throwing it out there.
biggrin.gif

I will pad roll when these ones roll out as hm5 were on my mind but really with the 2 sheets TP rolled up and stuffed, no need.

'IMHO AND YMMV" yada yada yada bada bing bada boom

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #8,179 of 12,975

Was cleaning out my closet and found an oldschool RF55.2. Maybe i;ll play with it down the line as i have a 12v converter from hooking up spl car subs in house to a 2.1 system

Anyway,

I tried TP (1 sheet rolled up) and stuffed inside earpads of the sz1k, and it did make them slightly more comfy as the ears touching the driver did bug me a little.

Then...

I tried TP (2 sheet rolled) like a cylinder and stuffed into 1k pads and Verrryyy Niccceee. Very comfy through a movie, no excessive adjustments.

Maybe it was mentioned b4 dont know dont know. Just throwing it out there.
biggrin.gif

I will pad roll when these ones roll out as hm5 were on my mind but really with the 2 sheets TP rolled up and stuffed, no need.

Rockford "Punch" series. Think they were one of the first to really use mosfet amps. Not including the $80 dollar  10,000 watt PYLE amps
rolleyes.gif
that couldn't push an old lad's shopping cart. Man the industry was 1/2 scam. RF was making some good stuff and soundstream too and others but there was more crap than gold out there

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #8,180 of 12,975

Anyway,

Then...

Maybe it was mentioned b4 dont know dont know. Just throwing it out there.:D

Another, more expensive but cleaner looking solution is to get you some panty hose, or knee high stockings ect. Roll em up your arm, cut then stuff around the inside pads.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #8,181 of 12,975

Rockford "Punch" series. Think they were one of the first to really use mosfet amps. Not including the $80 dollar  10,000 watt PYLE amps
rolleyes.gif
that couldn't push an old lad's shopping cart. Man the industry was 1/2 scam. RF was making some good stuff and soundstream too and others but there was more crap than gold out there

That oldschool punch series used to hook you up with a nice 100-200 RMS bonus on those birthsheets on those monoblock monsters. I will always hunt for them for a car setup. Never will fail ya.
Another, more expensive but cleaner looking solution is to get you some panty hose, or knee high stockings ect. Roll em up your arm, cut then stuff around the inside pads.

I think i've read of this in other threads. I will keep in mind thx :p but so far with TP, still doing ok.

Has anyone put alpha pads on these or is hm5 the only alternative (besides the 55x pads)

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #8,182 of 12,975
Just checking in with my extended listening evaluation of my S2K's.

There headphones are SO freaking good in every area once properly tonally adjusted. INCREDIBLE quality and quantity bass, smooth mids and highs, fantastic separation and soundstaging. This headphone has all the trimmings of a top tier headphone but JVC just completely dropped the ball in terms of its tuning. These could have been the next Beats if they hadn't tried to go after the stereotypical "audiophile" sound signature. That, and the abysmal pads that just needed some stuffing to reach their full potential (I put rolled up cotton sheets under the lip of mine).

As far as I am concerned for the near (and maybe far) future, this is my one true headphone. Nothing has made me love listening to music like this headphone has.

Below is my equalization, however, be warned, you will need a LOT of power (2W+ @ 16ohms) to use it at a volume where you can appreciate its sonic strengths.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #8,183 of 12,975
Just checking in with my extended listening evaluation of my S2K's.

There headphones are SO freaking good in every area once properly tonally adjusted. INCREDIBLE quality and quantity bass, smooth mids and highs, fantastic separation and soundstaging. This headphone has all the trimmings of a top tier headphone but JVC just completely dropped the ball in terms of its tuning. These could have been the next Beats if they hadn't tried to go after the stereotypical "audiophile" sound signature. That, and the abysmal pads that just needed some stuffing to reach their full potential (I put rolled up cotton sheets under the lip of mine).

As far as I am concerned for the near (and maybe far) future, this is my one true headphone. Nothing has made me love listening to music like this headphone has.

Below is my equalization, however, be warned, you will need a LOT of power (2W+ @ 16ohms) to use it at a volume where you can appreciate its sonic strengths.

Yep, they really start to shine when you crank 'em. The key for me has been to bring out the midrange with lots of volume. It eventually catches up to the bass for really nice presentation across the entire mid frequency range, while having the clean mondo bass of course. Then the 3d switch on the ifi ican I use brings out the treble for a mostly U shaped signature that is magical to me. On top of that I'd say the soundstage on them is on par with the thx00 which I just got, and that's saying a lot I guess given the high praise for them among the semi-open crowd.

They definitely get better with time too, so enjoy often, and thanks for sharing!

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #8,184 of 12,975
Yep, they really start to shine when you crank 'em. The key for me has been to bring out the midrange with lots of volume. It eventually catches up to the bass for really nice presentation across the entire mid frequency range, while having the clean mondo bass of course. Then the 3d switch on the ifi ican I use brings out the treble for a mostly U shaped signature that is magical to me. On top of that I'd say the soundstage on them is on par with the thx00 which I just got, and that's saying a lot I guess given the high praise for them among the semi-open crowd.

They definitely get better with time too, so enjoy often, and thanks for sharing!

I'm not bashing your statements, and really I shouldn't comment as I rock the sz1k, but as to not confuse some potential buyers i want to clear something up.

The SZ (I will speak of the 1k only, but ofc it seems evident the 2k is very similar, albeit can handle higher spl levels better b/c of that brass ring as HBB stated in his vids.) These perform fantastically for what HBB has stated they are good for which is Jaw Breaking rattling bass. This requires very strange EQ'ing and some decent (300mw +) ish power to reach that paper moving bass.

This makes certain types of bassy stuff amazing, like Roots Reggae/Reggae/Dancehall (though not all, i find it good for the slow bassy types, and not complex dancehall stuff with female vocals) like Lover's Reggae type like June Lodge for example. Slow heavy bass reggae sounds warm and bubble like you're swimming in a pool of bass. Accuracy, imaging, details out the window (this is relative to audiophile type headphones ofc like mid-fi types). But its pleasant (for bassheads). Audiophile might be sent to loony bin, because of the insane levels of bass killing mids and highs.

Also, I don't find this bass monster the best for things like African Drumming when EQ'd like HBB School of Bass instructs. If anyone listens to Babatunde

it is not very accurate or images as good as say a 770.80, or my xb1k for example, which doesn't need the crazy EQ'ing, thus, mids and highs are still kinda there with heavy bass. Or Something like Anusha Shankar and this amazing canjon drum player @ 7:35 and whatever Indian drum that is;

the thumps are great, but the whole piece is too complex for the JVC. Though when eq'd lightly for slightly boosted bass, its listenable (for casual music listeners myself) who are not nit picky to death. B/C i enjoy the bass enough to forgive details. But such pieces i find sound better on xb and much better on 770.80. So one should keep this in mind if they wish to play complex pieces. Don't expect perfect execution. Bass tests ofc will be AWESOME

What it does excell at FOR ME, for meeeeeeeeeeeee is an album like this

for ^, dang, these are mighty FOINE
biggrin.gif
. Hey if these are cool as your one and onlys, Hallelujah, but its important potential buyers know it has as limits, even though these are slowly attaining that basshead Legendary Status. Ofc only when stocks run out, and no one will sell them, and there is no sz3k will it be LEGENDARY 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #8,185 of 12,975
I'm not bashing your statements, and really I shouldn't comment as I rock the sz1k, but as to not confuse some potential buyers i want to clear something up.

The SZ (I will speak of the 1k only, but ofc it seems evident the 2k is very similar, albeit can handle higher spl levels better b/c of that brass ring as HBB stated in his vids.) These perform fantastically for what HBB has stated they are good for which is Jaw Breaking rattling bass. This requires very strange EQ'ing and some decent (300mw +) ish power to reach that paper moving bass.

This makes certain types of bassy stuff amazing, like Roots Reggae/Reggae/Dancehall (though not all, i find it good for the slow bassy types, and not complex dancehall stuff with female vocals) like Lover's Reggae type like June Lodge for example. Slow heavy bass reggae sounds warm and bubble like you're swimming in a pool of bass. Accuracy, imaging, details out the window (this is relative to audiophile type headphones ofc like mid-fi types). But its pleasant (for bassheads). Audiophile might be sent to loony bin, because of the insane levels of bass killing mids and highs.

Also, I don't find this bass monster the best for things like African Drumming when EQ'd like HBB School of Bass instructs. If anyone listens to Babatunde

it is not very accurate or images as good as say a 770.80, or my xb1k for example, which doesn't need the crazy EQ'ing, thus, mids and highs are still kinda there with heavy bass. Or Something like Anusha Shankar and this amazing canjon drum player @ 7:35 and whatever Indian drum that is;

the thumps are great, but the whole piece is too complex for the JVC. Though when eq'd lightly for slightly boosted bass, its listenable (for casual music listeners myself) who are not nit picky to death. B/C i enjoy the bass enough to forgive details. But such pieces i find sound better on xb and much better on 770.80. So one should keep this in mind if they wish to play complex pieces. Don't expect perfect execution. Bass tests ofc will be AWESOME

What it does excell at FOR ME, for meeeeeeeeeeeee is an album like this

for ^, dang, these are mighty FOINE :D . Hey if these are cool as your one and onlys, Hallelujah, but its important potential buyers know it has as limits, even though these are slowly attaining that basshead Legendary Status. Ofc only when stocks run out, and no one will sell them, and there is no sz3k will it be LEGENDARY :happy_face1:

Thanks for chiming in! I definitely agree with everything you said.

I definitely don't want to over hype them for potential buyers.

But i think with the right eq, dac, and amp they have potential to approach mid fi levels, albeit with a very dark signature, and if one has specific musical tastes that SZ2K excels at.

But for ~$200 i do think they are quite impressive given their potential to sound much better than in stock form. To each their own of course, but I'd take the sz2000 over much "better" "audiophile" sets that don't have any subbass impact.

Anyway, i just got a thx00 and it wasn't until then that all of the shortcomings of the sz2000 became obviously apparent. The X00 are quite a set, but the sz2000 will always have a special place in my heart!

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #8,186 of 12,975
Thanks for chiming in! I definitely agree with everything you said.

I definitely don't want to over hype them for potential buyers.

But i think with the right eq, dac, and amp they have potential to approach mid fi levels, albeit with a very dark signature, and if one has specific musical tastes that SZ2K excels at.

But for ~$200 i do think they are quite impressive given their potential to sound much better than in stock form. To each their own of course, but I'd take the sz2000 over much "better" "audiophile" sets that don't have any subbass impact.

Anyway, i just got a thx00 and it wasn't until then that all of the shortcomings of the sz2000 became obviously apparent. The X00 are quite a set, but the sz2000 will always have a special place in my heart!

I'm really crossing my fingers trust me that JVC doesn't drop this dual driver system, because it is a hella of a lot more fun than my other mid-fi beasts. Though its dual driver seems to execute almost flawlessly, in that, they sound like one driver.

I have these on my head a lot more lately. Its 10/10 for fun. No doubt about that.

My hip hop listening suddenly increased after getting these, which I am happy for.

And resurrected many bassheads, not the beats bassheads, but the ones who explore that line where it is potentially lethal to eardrums.

You don't win friends with salad, and you don't win friends with wimpy bass. Game. Set. Match for the SZ.

You have arrived in a dark corner of the internet, Masta HBB, School of Bass

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #8,187 of 12,975
Have not commented on the thread for ages but have been keeping an eye on this and its a shame nothing has come out to overthrow the jvc's however I have found another headphone that has not been mentioned and it is also a bluetooth enabled headphone, the bluedio ufo plus is in my top ten basshead headphones wired they are able to produce some insane bass at all frequencies have not pushed them to the limit yet however trust me they hit and on bluetooth suprisingly they hit hard also well worth checking out guys.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #8,188 of 12,975
Have not commented on the thread for ages but have been keeping an eye on this and its a shame nothing has come out to overthrow the jvc's however I have found another headphone that has not been mentioned and it is also a bluetooth enabled headphone, the bluedio ufo plus is in my top ten basshead headphones wired they are able to produce some insane bass at all frequencies have not pushed them to the limit yet however trust me they hit and on bluetooth suprisingly they hit hard also well worth checking out guys.

If you're serious about these as hard hitting as wireless, please do a paper test video if it's not too much trouble! People will demand it for this to be taken seriously!

What is on your top ten list for reference?

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #8,189 of 12,975
I have all of the top 10 basshead headphones on the list here and they have a built in amp for them to supply the power to the headphones. they kick as much as the pro700 mk2's amped

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #8,190 of 12,975
  I have all of the top 10 basshead headphones on the list here and they have a built in amp for them to supply the power to the headphones. they kick as much as the pro700 mk2's amped

Can they push paper? There's no real discussion I know of thus far when it comes to bluetooth headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back