The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #7,848 of 12,992
Just a small update on my S2k's. After getting more hours on them, along with getting my EQ settings dialed in, the sub bass has really come alive. I can now say the S2k's have definitively more sub bass impact and boom than my Yamaha Pro 500's. I hadn't listened to the Yammy's for a few days, and today I pulled them back out for another comparison. The S2k's out pound the Yammy's down low without question. Although the Yammy's are still very impressive, and hold their own compared to the S2k's in "punchy" tight hitting bass, along with higher frequency bass around the 60hz range. 

My original plan was to sell the Yammy's once I finally got the kings, but I think I may keep them now. They are still a fantastic set of cans. Now I need to get me some basshead worthy IEM's. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #7,849 of 12,992
  Just a small update on my S2k's. After getting more hours on them, along with getting my EQ settings dialed in, the sub bass has really come alive. I can now say the S2k's have definitively more sub bass impact and boom than my Yamaha Pro 500's. I hadn't listened to the Yammy's for a few days, and today I pulled them back out for another comparison. The S2k's out pound the Yammy's down low without question. Although the Yammy's are still very impressive, and hold their own compared to the S2k's in "punchy" tight hitting bass, along with higher frequency bass around the 60hz range. 

My original plan was to sell the Yammy's once I finally got the kings, but I think I may keep them now. They are still a fantastic set of cans. Now I need to get me some basshead worthy IEM's. 

Keep the Yammy too. Great set. IEM bound for you!

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #7,850 of 12,992

Maybe you'll find what you want in the IEM world but just to share my experienc, i had a vmoda m100 then i jumped to sz2000. I'm using ibasso D14 + BOOM2 app on macbook (or htc m8 + viper4android). I bought a ASG 2.5 so that i could have a small solution when i'm outside. Maybe i'm too complicated but man when you've got used to SZ2000 is hard to go to IEM after. I was missing the bass. IEMs are just physically too small. It cant' be compared. So be aware that in the IEM bass thread you will find good basshead IEMs but don't forget they are good for what they are but will never be close to over-the-ear........some may tell you it is, and i was really hoping they were right. But it is very subjective. And in my personnal experience i just  couldn't go back to IEMs anymore after having tasted the nirvana off bass with full size like SZ2000

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #7,851 of 12,992
  don't forget they are good for what they are but will never be close to over-the-ear........some may tell you it is,

Anyone who claims a set of basshead IEM is remotely similar to basshead overears is on meds...or needs some meds.
 The ASG 2.5 are a joke BTW. crap QC and mids that are terrible and rolled treble. $800 here in Japan and I regret that purchase more than any other over the last 3 years.

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #7,852 of 12,992
I am aware that the bass will obviously be much lower with an IEM. But now that I have and love the S2k's, I feel my next logical step is to pick up some IEM's with more low end for out and about. 

I won't be expecting the IEM's to rattle the eyes in my head like my S2k's or Yammy's lol.

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #7,853 of 12,992
I've refined my EQ substantially. It sounds far more smooth and balanced across the board.

I just have one issue. My Magni 2 Uber simply doesn't have the power to drive these headphones at my EQ without a substantial amount of noise (I have it at 100% volume on high gain). Even 1.5W at 32 ohms isn't really enough. Any similarly priced, higher powered solid state alternatives?

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #7,854 of 12,992
  I've refined my EQ substantially. It sounds far more smooth and balanced across the board.

Your EQ slope looks very similar to mine, and I've actually begun to really enjoy their sound for my music. I basically have a strong sub bass boost, almost 0db from 1K to 3K, and a climbing slope back up to 0db from 10-20K, The rest of the range is all in the negative. With that set-up the cans don't actually sound all that bad with my hip-hop and electronic music. 

I do have another EQ preset that has the mids and highs "less" in the negative. I use that for more "musical" stuff, and or for watching youtube/netflix when I want some strong sub bass. Overall I've found they don't perform to well for movies or TV shows, although they would be sufficient if they were the only headphones I owned. But I have far better options for that kind of stuff.

I bought these cans to blow my ears and brains out with BASS, and for that they are wonderful :) 

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #7,855 of 12,992

I just have one issue. My Magni 2 Uber simply doesn't have the power to drive these headphones at my EQ without a substantial amount of noise (I have it at 100% volume on high gain). Even 1.5W at 32 ohms isn't really enough. Any similarly priced, higher powered solid state alternatives?

Ever considered cayin c5?

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #7,857 of 12,992
That would only give me a hundred extra milliwatts. It's also not a desktop amp.

I'm taking it that you already have a dac. You might have to bite the bullet and up your price to around 200-250 used. Gustard g10, ifi ican se, garage 1217 project ember are some powerful amps.

Edit: I'm mean project polaris

I use a ifi idsd for desktop duty.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #7,858 of 12,992
That would only give me a hundred extra milliwatts. It's also not a desktop amp.

Your magni 2 uber is 1.2w RMS. That means the actual output power is far lower. Should raise a red flag anytime you see a manufacturer hyping their amps RMS output power but not the actual max output, no number inflation. The c5 will likely smoke it at 1.6 real actual watts. No root mean square, no number inflation.

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #7,860 of 12,992

Look for an Parasound Zamp.  The V.3 version sounds really good.  They can be had for $150 used.  I used the V.3 at home and the V.1 at work.  The one at work I recently swapped out all the caps and put a switch that bypassed the resistors to the headphone output.  Enough power to damage your eardrums with bass pressure.  

This is a Uber vs Parasound.  Which one do you prefer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back