The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 22, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #5,641 of 12,991
Not to wanting to troll but the sound could be saturating but no one except the tester will know lool..............But also maybe the persons that claim it doesn't have bass didn't test with good sources etc.....

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #5,642 of 12,991
  Not to wanting to troll but the sound could be saturating but no one except the tester will know lool..............But also maybe the persons that claim it doesn't have bass didn't test with good sources etc.....

I would say the second part of your post is probably the case. The first part I am still trying to decipher.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #5,643 of 12,991

It doesn't have good bass because they're open headphones. Open headphones are not so good with bass because the sound is leaking out through the open grilles on the sides of the headphones. If you want good bass from these headphones you need a very powerful amp for them.

Actually there are plenty of open headphones with good bass.  The HE-6 fed from a vintage amp was actually the most visceral bass I've experienced.  The HE-400 has as good quality and quantity bass as you might want, as does the Phillips X1 among others.  Those three are the only ones I've owned so won't comment on headphones I haven't owned/tried. 

Not trying to argue with you - I'm just giving another perspective so lurkers reading this don't think that all open back headphones should be excluded from the bass conversation.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #5,644 of 12,991
Actually there are plenty of open headphones with good bass.  The HE-6 fed from a vintage amp was actually the most visceral bass I've experienced.  The HE-400 has as good quality and quantity bass as you might want, as does the Phillips X1 among others.  Those three are the only ones I've owned so won't comment on headphones I haven't owned/tried. 

Not trying to argue with you - I'm just giving another perspective so lurkers reading this don't think that all open back headphones should be excluded from the bass conversation.

Of course, this is a healthy discussion and by no means a heated argument.

Like you mentioned above, the HE-6 does have good bass through an amp. I can agree with you on that 1 since I have heard them before although it was through a Schidt amp (can't remember which 1) instead of a vintage amp. However, the theory still stands that most open back headphones don't do so well with bass since the leaking sound will decrease bass impact while increasing the soundstage. I compared both the open and closed Audezy LCDs and the result was the closed one sounded bassier than the open ones.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #5,645 of 12,991
The HE-400 and HE-6 both require a lot of power i'm well aware, that's why I would only drive it with an amp that could give it the power it needs to push that much bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #5,646 of 12,991
Sorry I took long. A short test with the 1770. Pretty sure it could be driven a bit more aggressively (I.e. Blowing your ear drums) but I just tried it with a slight sub bass EQ bump from Foobar and my Burson was not "all in"... :wink:

[VIDEO] https://youtu.be/HuhKFR9LWVM[/VIDEO]

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #5,647 of 12,991

I agree with this. Closed headphones have an easier time of reproducing visceral bass, but open and semi-open can do it too (the TH900 is semi-open and is right near the top).

When speaking objectively, you will likely see more physical paper shake from a closed headphone in comparison to open because the sound pressure is all going one way.

But, frankly, that's a slight mistake on our part as bassheads. HBB is a badass for figuring out how to objectively measure the maximum bass potential of headphones with paper, but practical bass impact at listening levels is another thing entirely.

I love my JVC HA-DX2000/HP-DX1000 more than any bass can I've owned. Their pads absorb a fair amount of the impact, so they can't make the top 10 list. But, at practical listening levels for me while working, they actually give more chest-thumping and visceral bass than my SZ2000 did.

If I specifically want to shake my head at super high volume, the SZ2000 can't be beat by anything out there. But, when I'm listening for 8-10 hours at a time, I can't go to those dB levels.

Back to the original comments... I can actually get the Sennheiser HD650 to shake if I want them to. They're completely open and rolled off in the sub-bass, but it's still possible to drive them to the point of shaking.

I'd love to hear the HE-400 properly amped and equalized, because it likely falls into a similar category to the DX1000. Practical listening volumes can get you excellent bass, but they likely give up sooner than the SZ2000 when you pump them over 100dB and start damaging your hearing. I trust @Oregonian's ears.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #5,648 of 12,991
I love my JVC HA-DX2000/HP-DX1000 more than any bass can I've owned. Their pads absorb a fair amount of the impact, so they can't make the top 10 list. But, at practical listening levels for me while working, they actually give more chest-thumping and visceral bass than my SZ2000 did.

If I specifically want to shake my head at super high volume, the SZ2000 can't be beat by anything out there. But, when I'm listening for 8-10 hours at a time, I can't go to those dB levels.

Exactly this. Which is why I never got rid of my Sig DJs and probably why I'll keep the MDR-1A's and the DT1770s in the meantime... Practical listening.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #5,649 of 12,991
Forgive me brothers for I have sinned...

a week or two ago I demo'd XB450 in one of the only headphone demo places in my third world country. The build quality amazed me, the boomy bass also seemed to hit nice on kendrick at the moment... so I went ahead and bought em for like 50$.

I know that I'm gonna get al otta **** for this... but I don't have an amp and I really wanted something comfy with bass. And XB450 is probably one of the sturdiest and comfiest headphones I have used in my life.

I stalked you guys for a long time and I planned to get the Thermaltake headphones but.... *sigh*.

Now, since I'm stuck with these for a while, Might as well enjoy em. I mean, they look sweet as hell and when I plug em in into my PC which has a gaming mobo and Sound Blaster, gotta say, I become pretty impressed. 

Now I got my eyes on V Modas, especially Crossfade LP or M80. I heard that they're pretty sturdy and hit nice. 

Should I go for those? Or do you guys have something else in mind? 

Sorry for barging in like that.

Also, HBB, shout out and respect, brother.

edit: thought of the HAMR77X... but they're 99$ on amazon... b*tch pls... I can get SZ1000 for that kind of $$$...

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #5,650 of 12,991
@ScottPilgrim Better amp and DAC before more headphones. get as much as you can out of your headphones before getting more new ones :)

Re: practical listening levels... well... that's why I have my XB90EX. nobody can tell me i'm bumping too loud if they can't hear anything in the first place
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #5,652 of 12,991
  Forgive me brothers for I have sinned...

a week or two ago I demo'd XB450 in one of the only headphone demo places in my third world country. The build quality amazed me, the boomy bass also seemed to hit nice on kendrick at the moment... so I went ahead and bought em for like 50$.

I know that I'm gonna get al otta **** for this... but I don't have an amp and I really wanted something comfy with bass. And XB450 is probably one of the sturdiest and comfiest headphones I have used in my life.

I stalked you guys for a long time and I planned to get the Thermaltake headphones but.... *sigh*.

Now, since I'm stuck with these for a while, Might as well enjoy em. I mean, they look sweet as hell and when I plug em in into my PC which has a gaming mobo and Sound Blaster, gotta say, I become pretty impressed. 

Now I got my eyes on V Modas, especially Crossfade LP or M80. I heard that they're pretty sturdy and hit nice. 

Should I go for those? Or do you guys have something else in mind? 

Sorry for barging in like that.

Also, HBB, shout out and respect, brother.

edit: thought of the HAMR77X... but they're 99$ on amazon... b*tch pls... I can get SZ1000 for that kind of $$$...

No need to apologize.

You are here "For the love of bass" , and we don't judge you on how you get your fix  
smily_headphones1.gif

If going vmoda, go for the m100 or Audio Technicas pro700mkII.  Both are killer.

But get on amp first.  Don't need to be the most expensive, but get one with good power.  The fiio e12 dont get much love these days, but it's still a solid amp for the price.  If you want a dac with an amp, because your phone or PC's dac isn't cutting it, get the e18.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #5,653 of 12,991
Hey all, I am looking for a pair of headphones that has a LOT of bass as I mostly listen to Edm, but I still want to be able to cleanly hear the mids and highs. I have a pair of HD 598s, and they sound great but the bass is very lacking. A lot of people have recommended the vmoda m100, but I have a budget of $600, so I'm wondering what other options there are for more money. Right now I'm looking at the audioquest Nighthawk and the fostex th600 but if anyone has other suggestions that would be great. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back